SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheetah_pita39

Pruning and Re-potting a Neglected Baby Jade

N K
8 years ago

Hi All!

I recently moved into a new place and was gifted a jade plant by the previous inhabitants. I've grown jades before and have the basics down - lots of sun, make sure it's dry before watering, proper soil, and a well draining pot - but I just don't know where to start with this one. Half of the leaves are sad and wrinkled while the other half are thick and bulging with water. There are air roots all over the place and tiny off-shoots from the main trunk. The trunk itself is curved and held up with a chopstick. It looks like there are 4-5 separate plants in the pot. My plan is to separate out the plants, prune them, and re-pot in separate pots. Questions:

1. How can I prune this plant without cutting back too much? My first instinct would be to cut it back to where it starts curving, maybe midway up the chopstick, but this takes off more than 6 inches of growth, which is a significant percentage of the plant.

2. I've never taken care of a jade so young (i.e. without a thick, developed trunk), should I be pruning the little ones back as well?

3. It's going into winter here, which typically isn't the best time to re-pot jades - should I wait til spring to start taking it apart?

4. The more I look at it, the more I kind of like the splayed overgrown mass of it (maybe this is just a different way of growing jade instead of the clean-cut bonsai-ish type that I used to have?) but I definitely want it to be healthy, and those wrinkled leaves do not look healthy at all. Is there any way to keep it sort of growing together like a jungle and still have it access the nutrients it needs?

cheetah_pita39's ideas · More Info
full plant - the main trunk has a branch to the left and curves all the way over and then under... it's a mess
thin unstable trunk held up by chopstick
lots of air roots!
thin sad wrinkly leaves :(

bulging super hydrated leaves

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews