SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lili_lara80

Wooded area out of control

Lili Lara
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Hi all!! My husband and I bought our first home two years ago with a dream yard including wooded area with maple, oak, and pine trees (all fenced in). After we moved in I just cleaned the woods a bit, removed old, rotten trees from the ground, some branches and a few shrubs. There were weeds but they weren't too thick, you could walk around and you could see the ground. In October of last year a mini tornado hit our area ripping down 3 of our biggest trees (root balls and all) into our yard, all of the fallen trees were on the right side of the wooded area and they left a big clearing. We immediately started clearing the trees from our yard. As soon as spring started this year the clearing in the woods got super crowded of weeds, so thick that you can't see past them. We did hire someone to grind two of the stumps but they didn't want to grind the biggest one as it had gotten conquered by weeds and wasps! What I'm asking here is, is there any way to tame the weeds? We still need to remove a lot of branches and rotten logs from that area. We always liked that piece as it was, after all it's nature, but the thick weeds are driving me mad and honestly I want to avoid it getting infested of too many insects like more wasps and what not! I read somewhere that leaf mulch could suppress seeds from growing next year so I was thinking (when it's that time of year) to collect leaves from our yard with the mower and then scatter them where the clearing is, if this is a bad idea for whatever reason please elaborate! Would that attract ticks or other critters? Once weeds are tamed I was thinking on planting some wildflowers in that clearing. Any other ideas are welcome! Like I said, we like the woods looking like woods but I do want to feel like it's a safe area.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner