SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drderty

Help with Out of Control Grass

drderty
14 years ago

This is my third year growing fruits & vegetables so I am still relatively new and only mildly successful at doing it.

The first year decided to grow some yellow-fleshed watermelon in an area of my yard where nothing ever grew; it was just dirt and rock. Grass began creeping up into the garden about mid-season. I plucked it out wherever I saw it coming out of the ground. By the end of the season, it was out of control.

The second year, grass began coming in as early as I planted.

The third year I built some wooden 4'x4' raised gardens and lined the bottom of them with newspaper. About two months into the season grass started to appear in the box.

This year I dug a 1.5 to 2-ft deep holes under the boxes and covered the bottom of them with weed control lining in hopes that this will prevent grass this year.

My questions are:

1. How much of an effect does grass really have on a garden? Does it affect plant yield or size in any way? Sometimes I think I am taking thinks too far to keep my garden looking neat & tidy.

2. Is 1.5 feet enough depth for corn, potato and watermelon to be grown in?

3. Short of using weedkillers, what other measures are available to control grass?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (7)