SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Butter!

bpath
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

I saw an article today about a woman who was shocked and appalled that Europeans butter their sandwiches. Getting over her audacity to suggest that anything someone does differently than she does is ”weird”, I then saw that ”no one in the US butters their sandwiches.” Correction, she referred to the French, not all Europeans. She has lived in France for 5 years.

I am as likely to use butter on a sandwich as mayo, and sometimes butter is preferable. Maybe it is my midwest upbringing by Scandinavians. DH butters some sandwiches, too, raised in Canada by European immigrants. We live in a state whose state fair annually features a 500-lb butter cow sculpture:

So, today's important question: is it unamerican to butter your sandwich?

Comments (93)

• Oakley
    8 months ago

Weird. I'm reading a book about William Marshal, the Greatest Knight who lived in the 12th century. He grew up in England but spent a lot of time in France. While in France he was having dinner with the guys, lol, and he started buttering his warm bread which was a staple at every meal. One of the men started telling him he was crazy, ick ick ick. William told him to try but the man wouldn't.

I had to look this up, but in France butter was not used on bread at all, it's for sopping up the juices from meat. To that I say ick ick ick.

Tell me what butter does to a sandwich, I may try it. I read that France does use butter on baguettes but not served at lunch or dinner. Or dinner and supper.

Joan Crawford's hot butterd bread I've made Ree Drummonds buttered bread and it's pretty good. Beer Bread is much better.

Imagine having to sit at the dinner table watching my southern parents dip their bread in buttermilk. I couldn't watch.

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 months ago

I do use butter, prefer good butter. Even on a PB&J sandwich to prevent jelly from soaking into bread.

• Related Discussions

Maple Crown Royal Pound Cake with Butter/Maple Crown Royal Glaze

Q

Comments (25)
    I just tried this & all went well until the glaze. I followed the instructions, but it ended up thick & gloppy - too thick to try brushing & not a good consistency for pouring. It really made a mess of the cake. I left it for a good while, then went back & warmed up the remaining glaze enough to get it out of the pan, put it in a pyrex measuring cup & microwaved it until it would flow a bit. I poured this over the first attempt a glazing. It still did not give it a good glaze. Any ideas would be appreciated. I've made other glazes with lemon juice & powdered sugar, etc. Couldn't I just use powdered sugar, water & Crown Royal for a glaze?
    ...See More

Butter, Butter, Butter

Q

Comments (32)
    I keep it simple, and use just one sort of butter for almost everything. Unsalted American butter. Land O Lakes, usually, because someone showed me, 30 years ago, that if you take two Land O Lakes packages, cut the maiden's knees from one package, and glue that piece onto the chest of the maiden on the other package, her knees look just like breasts. It was a silly little gag that got me thinking about subliminal advertising and still makes me giggle today. So I guess the advertising worked. Sometimes I buy a European butter, for spreading. But practically all of my butter use is for cooking. I don't eat buttered toast or croissants but once in a blue moon.
    ...See More

A butter boat for better butter

Q

Comments (29)
    Mtn, I used to make a blend of butter and canola oil, but I was the only one using it so I kind of got out of the habit. Now that DH is on another health kick, maybe I will pick it up again. But it definitely needs to be kept in the refrigerator. gigi and schoolhouse, you live in a beautiful state! (We had lunch in Wooster after visiting Lehman's, it was a corner restaurant, I think the owner was Italian, near downtown. Yum.)
    ...See More

Subbing peanut butter for regular butter in recipe

Q

Comments (19)
    agmss15 - what you wrote ties in with what I just found on this site: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/can-you-substitute-peanut-butter-for-butter-in-baking/ "Substituting Peanut Butter for Butter Unlike other fats and oils, butter, depending on the style and salt content, is at least 80 percent fat, with milk solids and water making up the remaining 20 percent; on the other hand, peanut butter is only 50 percent fat. It contains 25 percent protein, fiber and other carbohydrates in addition to fat. To effectively substitute peanut butter for butter in a recipe, first combine equal parts creamy peanut butter and oil; use the mixture cup for cup as you would use butter in cakes, muffins, cookies, brownies or quick breads." Thanks! I'll go ahead and do it, but I think I'll use canola rather than coconut oil.
    ...See More
  • lascatx
    8 months ago

Arapaho-Rd -- that's why I do thin layers of peanut butter on both sides, jelly or jam in the middle.

• Eileen
    8 months ago

I grew up with buttered sandwiches. I think my mother buttered anything that would normally use mustard instead of mayo, like bologna, ham, and cheese. We must not have liked mustard as kids. We put ketchup on hot dogs.

I remember having butter and jelly sandwiches. One time I unwrapped my PB sandwich at school to find lettuce on my sandwich! It was as bad as it sounds. I questioned my mother when I got home and she said we were out of jelly and she thought PB on its own would be too dry. What a clever mother. /s

• salonva
    8 months ago

While I love love butter especially on toasted bread, I have never put butter in a sandwich.

It was never served at home, and I'm certain it was because although we did not keep kosher, it was just not at all done to ever mix meat with milk. We never had milk as a beverage with our meat dinners. It just wasn't done. I still feel yucked out by that.

We would use butter to make grilled chease but to make mashed potatos, we used margerine. That probably eplains why I love butter so much.

I will mix dairy and meat, like to have a cheeseburger but generally speaking when I read the recipes that have butter and milk and meat, even though I know they are delish it just goes against me.

We could probably do another thread about mayonnaise- Hellmanns or Miracle Whip.

My people only use Hellmanns ( or actually I have found Aldi's Burman brand to be almost identical).

• lucillle
    8 months ago

We could probably do another thread about mayonnaise- Hellmanns or Miracle Whip.

I used to use Hellman's mostly but I like Blue Plate now also.

• petalique
    8 months ago

CAIN’S ♥️

• petalique
    8 months ago

Poor man’s Hollandaise on asparagus ==> Cain’s tartar sauce

(cold, steamed asparagus as in leftovers)

PS I love that butter sculpture. Moooore!

• Gooster
    8 months ago

Such rapid responses to buttering sandwiches! My mother would butter some sandwiches but not all and sometimes in combo with butter on one side (to block wetness). To this day, I primarily use mayo, mustard or other condiment. Perhaps this practice became less typical when butter became "evil" and people started minimizing usage. But butter has its place on all sorts of grilled buns and breads for sandwiches, or in a lobster roll.

In France, after the hamburger, the most popular sandwich is the jambon beurre, or Ham and Butter. But French butter is cultured, so it has a depth of flavor that makes it stand alone as an ingredient. It is on other sandwiches as well but not all (pan bagnat, bathed in olive oil).

A guy at work work throw Kerrygold into his coffee.... supposed it helps the brain, or metabolism or a ketogenic diet.

• bpath
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Miracle Whip is not mayonnase. And mayonnaises that are made with olive or canola oil are not labeled mayonnaise, I think they are called mayonnaise dressing. I grew up with Hellmann’s but find Kraft to be just fine, too too. Dh brought home Duke’s last time, and it’s fine too.

Eileen, I am from Chicago. I went to college in the Southwest. One day out for a meal with southern friends, they stared at me putting ketchup on my hot dog. They informed me thqt Chicagoans never put ketchup on a dog. I NEVER heard of that. Now I’m back in Chicago, I hear that often now, and I still put ketchup on a dog. A friend was in NYC and got a hot dog from a sidewalk cart, the guy put ketchup on it unbidden, and she threw it in the trash. (I'm actually a suburban gal, maybe that's why? But my friend is from StLouis so go figure.)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 months ago

I love buttered sandwiches!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 months ago

I use ghee in my coffee and it’s delicious. Ghee, a bit of good cinnamon, cocoa powder, cream, and sweetener. It’s almost a religious experience.

I use Dukes Mayo over any other but my own homemade. I prefer to use it to brown the bread on grilled cheese, BLTs, and other grilled sandwiches rather than butter.

Pnut butter and butter sandwiches? Heck yes!

• Eileen
    8 months ago

Hellman's, Best Foods, and Kraft are not the same mayo they were a decade or two ago. They are using more water and fewer eggs and/or less oil. It's now fluffy instead of eggy. I started noticing it when my potato salad wasn't the same. TJ's and Kroger brand are closer to how Hellman's used to be. The first three ingredients of Kroger Classic mayo are soybean oil, eggs, and egg yolks. Hellman's is soybean oil, water, and eggs.

• User
    8 months ago

If it’s bread, I butter it. PBJ, cheese, meat, egg,any kind of sandwich, hamburger buns, hotdog buns… without exception.

I slice ice cold butter and eat it on cream crackers.

I’m Canadian, so I can’t say what is un-American. 🙂

• palimpsest
    8 months ago

Speaking of mayonnaise, when my nephew was little, he thought he hated mayonnaise. If he saw mayonnaise on a sandwich he would throw a fit and not eat it.

So once when I was going to be taking care of him over a period of time that included lunch, my sister went through the (very) specifics of how his sandwich had to be. So the list of the things that had to go in the sandwich included mayonnaise.

"He hates mayonnaise" I said, "He won't eat anything that has mayonnaise in it"

"No", my sister said "he won't eat anything he knows has mayonnaise in it, so his sandwiches have mayonnaise on them".

"Why don't you leave the mayonnaise off?"

"Because then he says it doesn't taste right and he can't eat it".

So you had to put mayonnaise on the bread only and smear it hard into the bread, so you could not really see it. If he saw you putting mayonnaise on something you had to tell him it was for someone else. It had to be there, it just had to appear to not be there.

• bpath
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Pal, as a child I never liked mayo on a sandwich. But I liked it in tuna or chicken or pasta salad. Go figure. I also don’t like pickles, but I like pickle relish. Sweet relish. There has to be a Fannee Doollee aspect to that.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    8 months ago

https://youtu.be/-CVYVFj1vmQ

The amounts are in the first comment.

• chinacatpeekin
    8 months ago

My favorite French sandwich is the simple “jambon beurre”. Heaven.

• lascatx
    8 months ago

Pal, I tolerate mayo on most sandwiches just a little more than your nephew, but pragmatic -- I realized it needed to be there as a barrier -- both to bread drying out and sandwich things sogging the bread. If it's mixed into tuna, chicken salad, potato salad (with mustard) or deviled eggs, I tend to be a minimalist there too. Not to the point of dryness, but if it's the first thing I see and have toi look past it to see what underneath -- nah, I'll have something else.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 months ago

Not my normal sandwich condiment, but it would be ok for some. If I am making a grilled sandwich however, it’s always butter.

This reminds me of the first sandwich my DD made as a little girl. I was working outside and she came out, proudly showing me her butter sandwich. Two slices of bread, thick with butter, and she proceeded to eat it. I think she was around 3 but I don’t recall her ever doing it again.

• cawaps
    8 months ago

I don't butter my sandwiches (unless it's a hot sandwich going in the frying pan), but I hardly think it's "unamerican." I did study abroad in Germany and was surprised to see butter sanwiches--nothing but butter, and a lot of it, like 1/4 inch of butter between the bread slices. I will confess, I thought it was weird. I like butter well enough, but that was a bridge too far.

• chinacatpeekin
    8 months ago

I love butter in general- and on sandwiches- although I don’t use it if I’m using mayonnaise or peanut butter. I love good bread and butter- not necessarily in sandwich form, but I wouldn’t turn it down! When I was a little kid, I liked mayonnaise sandwiches on Wonder Bread; my mother turned me on to these- possibly a Depression era treat from her youth, or maybe just a tired mother’s offering. She would occasionally eat a little butter right from the butter dish! Despite these facts, she was an incredible gourmet cook, one of the best I’ve ever known.

• jill302
    8 months ago

My grandma would always use butter on ham sandwiches. It still is my favorite way to make a ham sandwich.

• john3582
    8 months ago

My mom always buttered the sandwiches. I just on it of assumed it was normal.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

It's kind of funny to me that some see butter sandwiches as strange, but for most of us a piece of bread with butter slathered on, not in sandwich form, would not be strange!

• arcy_gw
    8 months ago

Obviously this gal has never been to the bread basket of the world! Every farm table has buttered bread on it, every 'lunch' ever brought out to hard working people has the bread buttered up as part of the sandwich. Some states take their butter so seriously it's against the law to sell fake butter that LOOKS like butter. I have never done either, mayo or butter automatically on a sandwich (Unless its summer tomato and mayo time) . I cut calories at every turn and this is an easy one. The which do you sue Mayo or butter TOTALLY depends no the other contents of the sandwich it seems to me. To each their own. I am just glad no one brought up Miracle Whip. That stuff's NASTY on a sandwich!! The OPs pic had me thinking this would be about the State Fair and butter carving. Those artists are amazing.

• bbstx
    8 months ago

I looked up a recipe for jambon beurre to see if there were some subtlety I was missing. Yes there is a recipe on the NYT Cooking site, no less. It is more or less the following: warm a baguette until the crust is crisp. Let it cool to room temp. Cut it in half lenghtwise. Slather the cut sides with butter. Layer on ham. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• bpath
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Arcy, my mom is from your neck of the woods…er, plains… and definitely recalls bringing buttered bread to the table and to the men in the field. And my dad was Danish, so, of course, butter! (Oh, and someone did mention Miracle Whip. I had it for the first time when my college roommate’s mom put it or on something. Fortunately i was raised to be polite so I ate it. I have heard it’s better than mayo for, something, I just can’t remember what.)

• Jilly
    8 months ago

I prefer Miracle Whip for a certain pasta salad I make.

• bbstx
    8 months ago

My mother preferred Miracle Whip for potato salad, even after she learned to eat mayo. Growing up, we only ate Miracle Whip. Mother didn’t care for mayo and she especially despised homemade mayo. She never said, but somehow I gathered that there was some unpleasant association with homemade mayo from her childhood.

• bpath
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I did a summer homestay in France as a teen. (Normandy, a dairyland of butter!) One evening I asked ”maman” how I could help with dinner, and she asked me to make the mayonnaise. Um, how I make mayonnaise is to twist of that blue cap!

• palimpsest
    8 months ago

I think the thing about butter sandwiches is the quality of the bread. I would not eat a plain butter sandwich on plain white bread, like Wonderbread. But I don't eat bread like that at all. If you gave me the bread basket and a crock of butter from Parc, a French Restaurant here, I wouldn't need to order an entree, I could sit there for a couple hours and eat the whole bread basket.

• 3katz4me
    8 months ago

I like butter on bread but about the only sandwich I put butter on is one with peanut butter. Most sandwiches would have mayo or Miracle Whip though I would do butter with roast beef and horseradish.

• jsk
    8 months ago

Lobster rolls - yes, butter! IMO, the only way to have a lobster roll - warm with butter on a bun. Not a fan of the ones with mayo. So I take back my blanket statement of no butter on sandwiches. This is the exception and oh what a wonderful exception it is.

Cold turkey sandwich requires russian dressing. I don't like hot turkey (or chicken) at all. My most favorite meals all year (other than warm lobster rolls) are the leftover turkey sandwiches after Thanksgiving. I intentionally buy a turkey larger than needed so I have days of leftovers. And I don't eat the turkey on Thanksgiving because it's hot!

Told ya - lots of weird food rules!

----

It was never served at home, and I'm certain it was because although we did not keep kosher, it was just not at all done to ever mix meat with milk. We never had milk as a beverage with our meat dinners. It just wasn't done. I still feel yucked out by that.

This exactly. We didn't keep kosher either, but never mixed milk and meat. Same for mayo and meat. (yes, I know russian dressing has mayo in it but it's transformed when mixed with ketchup!).

---

It's kind of funny to me that some see butter sandwiches as strange, but for most of us a piece of bread with butter slathered on, not in sandwich form, would not be strange!

Yep, love good bread with good butter. But butter on a sandwich? Nope.

So I'm not the only one with weird food rules! Good to know.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 months ago

Boy this topic sure blew up since yesterday!

Skipped down to point out that anumber of the comments seem to presume the butter is used instead of other condiments, but that isn't the case. IMPE, it's used before other condiments.

I really haven't done so in many years, since nowadays I only make sandwiches to be eaten right away.

Butter makes everything better, IMO - maybe because half my family is from WI. I like to nibble on it when I'm cooking too 😋

• User
    8 months ago

Skipped down to point out that anumber of the comments seem to presume the butter is used instead of other condiments, but that isn't the case. IMPE, it's used before other condiments.

Oh yes! Take your bread or roll, slather butter on and then add your fillings and condiments. That’s how I do it. That’s how my family did it when I was growing up.

I never refrigerate my butter but I will chill it a bit before if I know I am having toast. I like it thinly sliced on toast and then, of course, with honey, jam, cinnamon, or peanut butter on top.

eta My husband and children are/were different.🙂

• salonva
    8 months ago

I just may try butter before I put on the peanut butter and jelly. Too many of you have sang the praises that you've convinced me to give a try.

• bbstx
    8 months ago

Jambon buerre for lunch today. Contrary to the NYT recipe, I did not let the baguette cool to room temp before I ate it. I’m such a renegade. 😂

• Gooster
    8 months ago

Inspired by the thread to seek one out. Truffled ham, Comte cheese and butter from the local shop. (Jambon au truffe, Comte, beurre au fleur de sel)

• Gooster
    8 months ago

Oops forgot the photo. Truffled ham, Comte and butter.

• bbstx
    8 months ago

This guy on IG cracks me up.

But this comment actually made me laugh out loud.

ETA: Gooster, that looks delicious!!

• Elizabeth
    8 months ago

We butter all our bread and rolls, even hamburger buns. Yummy!

• Olychick
    8 months ago

@bbstx that is SO funny and exactly how I feel about Miracle Whip...yuck!

• Oakley
    8 months ago

• salonva
    8 months ago

I still remember going out to celebrate my college graduation with my parents. In those days I was not allergic to seafood, and I ordered a shrimp salad something for lunch.. I was pretty sure that there was something wrong with it but I didn't want to complain, so I ate sparingly ( very unusual for me)...

I realized a few years later that it was apparently made with Miracle Whip. Ewwww.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    8 months ago

Oh, Gooster, that bread looks amazing. Two adorable quignons waiting to be chomped off.

• Judi
    8 months ago

Those of you dissatisfied with most store bought mayos might like Kewpie.

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/why-chefs-love-kewpie-mayo

• jojoco
    8 months ago

Ham with butter on a baguette . preferably european butter or Katies brand

• Gooster
    8 months ago

Zalco --- oh yes, it was amazing. They also make an amazing spanish version with Serrano and machego. But I may make my own sandwich, with amazing organic bread from the boulanger around the corner and some of this -- how could you not want this on your bread, the large sea salt crystals are everything:

• orchidrain
    8 months ago

Growing up, all of our sandwiches were made with butter. I didn't know what mayonnaise was until I had a blt at a friend's house. One of my fondest memories, is coming home from school and there on the table stood a pyramid of tomato sandwiches for us all. Bread, butter, tomato. So simple, but so satisfying.