SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Mom update for those following along

jojoco
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Here is a recent update.

In general, today started out feeling a bit like a back slide. Mom had an mri last night to assess her brain injuries and they had to deeply sedate her for the scan. We knew that today would be a very foggy day. And it was. She basically slept all day and was lightly agitated. She still has restraints and the feeding tube.

The doctor finally came in in the afternoon to review the MRI. The brain looks normal, and the two brain bleeds are still stable. The swelling in the brain is simply the extra blood that will be absorbed. He said there is no evidence of damage to her brain.

Also, as she heals, her injuries are changing a bit. She does not have a broken scapula just a separated shoulder which will heal on its own. Also, there is no lung puncture that I was told in the ER just a bruise on one of the lungs. There is a bit of congestion in her lungs so they’re keeping an eye on that, but she’s also getting antibiotics and nebulizer treatments that administer a medicated mist that she breathes into her lungs to help with this. (Mom has a lung issue that she treats with a daily inhalant.)

Her white blood count was elevated the other day but is now lower again. The cuts on her leg are being treated with a special film that will help heal faster. They’re also optimistic for a shorter stay in rehab based on mom’s overall previous great physical status and her independent living. Her blood sugar was elevated, but this is due to the body's reaction to trauma. She is not diabetic.

All in all, it was great news. My dad was visibly relieved. DH and I are taking dad out to our favorite indian restaurant in town to celebrate.

Yay, Mom!!!

And yay to all of you who have been keeping my mom in your thoughts and prayers. You all make the world a much better place.

just returned from my walk:

Comments (100)