SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merc0892

Laminate underlayment, transition/reducer and stair nose advice

merc0892
9 months ago

I am planning to extend my existing L'Antic Colonial laminate flooring from my kitchen/family room to all over the house and need advice on these 3 dilemmas:

1. Upper level: Removing Berber carpet but I am getting conflicting opinions on what underlayment will work under the 8mm laminate.

a. Should I use just a 2-3mm underlayment (advice on which one as there are too many options?) or should I add corkboard?

b. Suggestions on which underlayment would work the best - the options are quite overwhelming on the Home Depot and other websites

2. Lower level: My formal living/dining currently has Pergo and it is at a lower level than the kitchen as the flooring was installed over tiles with a 1/4 inch corkboard underlayment. (Picture attached showing new lighter in the forefront and old bamboo towards the back floor)

a. Should I continue the level by adding particleboard/corkboard to raise up the level?

b. Can I install over the existing Pergo (old floor) so as to help level it easier?

c. This area leads to my front door and foyer (4ft by 4 ft tiles that I plan to remove) - if I raise the floor to match the kitchen, my front door my not open easily - can I and should I shave my front door or can I gradually lower the level by using a slightly thinner underlayment there?

3. There were no transitions/reducers or stair nose available in this laminate finish so what are my options to match it?

a. Can I get them custom made/ordered if I give my laminate planks?

b. Can I get someone to alternately stain unfinished transitions/stair noses to match my color? (I have read on the discussion here that it is quite difficult to match)

Thank you all for your advice and help!

Comment (1)