SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

Update- found it! (Floof) Address Books- do you still have one?

salonva
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Well, I do. It's so old. I wrote/write everything in pencil. I haven't really added anything to it but I do refer to it from time to time for physical addresses of people who are not in my cell phone.

I can't even think how old it must be, probably a good 25 or 30 years old...........well I wanted to send a sympathy card to someone out of state. We are in touch but nowadays email and phone. I looked in my phone contacts and although I could swear I had put in their home address, that was not the case. So I thought I'd check my address book ............except I can't recall where it is.

I know I didn't toss it and I know I used it for holiday cards in December......but since then no clue.

I can say it's not where I usually kept it, and not in any of the numerous places I figured it might be.

I'm pretty much able to get most addresses from the internet, but I did enjoy reminiscing looking through it. If/when I find it, I'll feel relieved.

Do you have one? When's the last time you used it?

Comments (55)

• localeater
    9 months ago

I do. I look at it at Christmas , like many mentioned. Check where your Christmas cards are. Perhaps you put them away together.

salonva thanked localeater
  • Sueb20
    9 months ago

When we moved my dad to asst living, I used his address book to send announcements to everyone. I sat with him and went through each name: ”still alive? how about this guy, still alive?” LOL sad but funny too. His address book must be 40 years old, The best part is that much of it is in my mom’s handwriting…she died almost 30 years ago.

salonva thanked Sueb20
  • Related Discussions

If you could have just one book on camellias

Q

Comments (11)
    No camelliaphile should be without copies of the Gerbing and Hume books on the camellia, published in the 1950's. One of my copies was discarded by the local public library and the others bought from used/antiquarian book dealers on the American Book Exchange (www.abe.com): Gerbing, Gustav George. _Camellias_. St. Augustine, FL: The Record Press, 1950. Gerbing's work is filled with beautiful, full-color, full-page illustrations, each with a facing page of expert commentary on the cultural requirements of the variety as well as his observations of its performance in his Fernandina, FL, garden. He covers many of the antique, or heritage, varieties as well as some of the better seedlings he selected and propagated from his North Florida camellia garden. Hume, H. Harold. _Camellias in America_. Rev. ed. Harrisburg, PA: J. Horace McFarland Company, 1955. Hume includes scores of superb, full-page, full-color japonica and sasanqua illustrations. The illustrations are so good that they are suitable for matting and framing. Affiliated with the University of Florida, Hume was, no doubt, the leading American academic authority on the genus _Camellia_ of his day. He writing style is clear and suitable to the layperson. His cultural knowledge of the camellia is vast. __________. _Camellias: Kinds and Culture_. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1951. This book has fewer full-color illustrations than _Camellias in America_, and they are of poorer quality, especially after fifty-seven years. However, Hume's descriptions of the leading japonica and sasanqua cultivars of his day are outstanding. This book is also valuable because of its several chapters focusing on the history of the camellia in Europe and North America. He discusses a variety of propagation methods in other chapters. Hume provides information on the numerous early nineteenth-century camelliaphiles in Boston, MA, but regrettably, fails to mention Andre Michaux's introduction of the camellia to Middleton Place Gardens in Charleston in 1786 or Louis LeConte's work with camellias at the LeConte Botanical Garden in Liberty County, GA, in the eighteen-tens and eighteen-teens. Michaux's gift of four camellias to Arthur (Or was it Henry?) Middleton mark the advent of American camellia culture. At least one of those four camellias is still growing at Middleton Place, well over two centuries after it was planted.
    ...See More

Do you still use a printed yellow pages phone book?

Q

Comments (14)
    I get three phone books delivered for free each year: White pages for Long Island (two countis), Yellow pages for same and snaller local book. I keep last years little book in my car. The other three are in my bedroom near the phone. I do use them occasionally. Gnerally, if have to look up a business, I'll use Google. My computer is alkways on. So no, I don't really need to keep those phone books. Except the one in my car.
    ...See More

If you still have one of the Photoworks coupon codes...

Q

Comments (3)
    Moni, I'm glad you got yours and are happy with it! I just thought it was kind of cr*ppy that the company would give out too many coupons, then not honor them. Anyhow, guess I should have made a quick book that day instead of waiting. I wanted to make my brother a book though for his 50th next year and that meant going through a lot of old albums and doing a lot of scanning. As they say, the early bird gets the worm!! lol
    ...See More

If you have a MacBook - which one, what specs

Q

Comments (23)
    I had a 6 year old Mac Airbook that I loved. However, I spilt some tea and the right shift key stopped working. I loved that computer so much that I kept using it with only a left shift key for over a year. Then the touch pad became wonky and it was getting really slow. Long story short, in January I was just "looking" at Best Buy and went home with a brand new Mac Book Pro. They had zero financing and a long try at home period. Now I don't know why I suffered so long with a malfunctioning Mac Air. To answer your original question I had always been a PC user and for somethings I do prefer a PC. If you are doing any picture editing, or art designing go with the Mac Book. My friend has a 15 inch MacBook and uses it for Photoshop but finds it too heavy to take on photo travel. He may buy a smaller 13 inch just so he can carry it on trips without breaking his back.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

Nope. Contacts on my phone, that's it. I use a Word file for my Christmas card list, because my handwriting is not all that pretty that it enhances a card. However, I agree strongly that a printed signature is a "no." If I am not willing to write a little something and sign it, then the person should not be on my card list either.

salonva thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 months ago

Yes, I have had mine for many years and like others I use it for Christmas cards. I could use my phone or my computer for this but this little book is always with me. Computers and phones have the disadvantage of failing.

salonva thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • maire_cate
    9 months ago

Mine is an old index box for 3 x 5 cards. The one at home is longer and holds more cards. This is at our place in NE PA and includes numbers for the library, restaurants, contractors etc. It has an extra mailbox key in the back and a list of emergency contacts which is helpful if the kids are staying there and we're not around. Obviously the important numbers are also on our cell phones but I like having a physical place for addresses that is accessible to everyone. DH uses this regularly since he only keeps a few # in his phone. The index cards have room to add notes and are a cinch to update - just toss the old one and write a new one. Yesterday DH called to schedule the annual fireplace cleaning and there was a reminder on the card to request John since he did a better job than the other guy.

Maire

salonva thanked maire_cate
  • faftris
    9 months ago

This is so timely. I have an address book that is a small three-ring binder. I was just looking at it the other day, because I have enough blank pages left to redo the whole book, if I eliminate all the people who have passed away or gone out of our lives. I am still thinking about it.

salonva thanked faftris
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    9 months ago

Nope. Never had one, actually. I used to have an index card file with addresses and phone numbers; haven’t seen it or needed it for at least 20 years.

I have not sent Christmas cards for more than 30 years.

Any addresses I need I have in my phone or can find online. My husband has an app on his phone that’s very handy, too, for addresses.

salonva thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    9 months ago

As paper centric as I am, address books were replaced by the phone long ago. The one problem I have with that is an inability to remove old contacts.

salonva thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Tina Marie
    9 months ago

I don't have an address book. I do have a Christmas card list, a typed/printed neighborhood directory and a typed list of my ladies lunch group. All these lists are stored inside our church directory (book)! I do have some in my phone, but not a complete list. All are backed up on our computer other than the neighborhood list. I do address and sign all cards by hand.

salonva thanked Tina Marie
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    9 months ago

We have an address book - old, decorative cover, and as others we refer to it mostly at Christmas. I just bought a small spiralbound telephone book to keep by my chair - I want to have phone numbers all in one place instead of on all of the scraps of paper I have collected. I'm going to put some birthdays in there, too. We have cellphones, but they don't work well inside of the house and we primarily use our landline when we are at home. We live at sea level, and especially in the summer with so many people here, bandwith can be quite low.

salonva thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • Arapaho-Rd
    9 months ago

Yes, I have one. At least 20 years old, maybe more. It now has a history of addresses for people that have moved because I didn't use pencil !!

salonva thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • bbstx
    9 months ago

I still have a Rolodex! I haven’t added to it in years. Anything new goes on my phone. But I do sometimes refer to the Rolodex for addresses that aren’t in my phone. Besides addresses and phone numbers, the Rolodex also had other random bits of information that I want to hang on to.

salonva thanked bbstx
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 months ago

Yes, I have an address book. A vintage decades old leather Day Runner. It has a space for a calendar too and they still make those refill pages for the current year - it has my birthday notes in it and sadly dates we've lost some of those, not just the date of their births but dates of deaths.

I'm a dinosaur ;) But I get a lot of calls from people asking me for dates, current addresses, phone changes and I always have them. Many cross outs and additions but I'll probably never let it go from the top left hand drawer of my desk.

DH has always been in the habit of keeping one of the large desk top calendar style 'blotters' on his own desk. He makes notes of every kind on it. I don't have a good reason to try to change that so I go each year around the holidays and get replacements for it and the calendar pages in my birthday address book ;)

salonva thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • deegw
    9 months ago

I have one but haven't used it for years. All addresses are on my phone. A few years ago I sucked it up and entered all of the addresses on a template in the Avery labels website. Now I can just print address labels for Christmas cards. I hated handwriting the addresses on envelopes, but now it's easy peasy.

salonva thanked deegw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    9 months ago

Yes we have a rolodex by the phone too on the desk in the kitchen...it's full of drs, plumbers, electricians, etc. I also have the plastic covers for the rolodex cards...I cut the top and bottom edges of a business card and slip it inside...

Of course, you have to understand the DH is a technophobe, still uses just a flip phone, can't text and reaches for the yellow pages if we need to find a service person.

salonva thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • OutsidePlaying
    9 months ago

Yes i do keep a manual address book with physical addresses. My electronic one has mostly phone numbers and email addresses. I use my address book mostly for birthday and Christmas cards like most of you. I also have a few service people listed.

Funny, I keep a running list electronically of my Christmas card people and it would be easy to add their addresses. But my list changes yearly and I just prefer to mark it as I get them done (I never seem to finish them all at one sitting) and I prefer to hand address anyway.

salonva thanked OutsidePlaying
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    9 months ago

Nothing wrong with low-tech. As I mentioned above, we have problems using our cellphones inside of the house - especially in the summer. About 3 weeks ago, DH had no bars on his phone (mine was functional) so he thought it had died. We went to the Verizon store near us and at first, the tech guy said "Well, it's summer - what do you expect?" but then, after looking at our account he said to DH "You recently bought a new cellphone, didn't you?"

That came as a surprise, because no - he didn't. Someone used his name and cellphone# to buy a new iPhone in Miami, FL and it showed up on his account. The guy at the store told us he couldn't help us with it, that we would "have to call 611" and work it out. Many frustrating hours later on the phone (landline) and on the computer, a trip back to the store again, new passwords created he was able to get his old phone working again with the original #.

salonva thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • 3katz4me
    9 months ago

No - I have all my contacts in gmail and haven't had a paper address book in probably 20 years.

salonva thanked 3katz4me
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 months ago

Yes, I have one that is decades old, takes up minimal space in my home office but rarefy ever gets used. And it's a darn good thing I still hang on to it!! I recently inadvertently left my handbag in my sister's car after an afternoon out. It contained my car keys, my phone and of course all the other female essentials of life. Couldn't call, couldn't drive to her place to retrieve. I could borrow my landlady's landline phone to call my sister but who remembers any phone numbers?? They are all stored in my contacts on my phone!!

Fortunately, I remembered my address book, dug it out and found it listed my sister's address and cell phone number from when she still lived in CA, more than 10 years ago. Luckily, her number has never changed with her moves so I was able to call and she graciously jumped in her car and delivered it back to me.

We tease each other about getting older and addle-pated and needing a 'minder' but it is easy to let something slip your mind.....like forgetting I even had my bag with me in her car. I often don't. I have now made sure that a second set of keys is hidden but at hand at home if I need them. Then I can at least drive to her place or for other help.

I should also add that she was traveling out of state the next day for a long weekend so finding her number in my ancient address book really came to a very timely rescue! Otherwise it would have been 4 days without a phone or a car!! Aack!! 😖

salonva thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • chisue
    9 months ago

Yes, I have mine -- and that of my DM who died 40+ years ago. They are tiny things. Why wouldn't I keep them?

I also have the last 20 years of calendars. They come in handy for checking just when we replaced or repaired something in the house or to confirm a medical appointment or procedure. Did we replace the sensor batteries last fall?

salonva thanked chisue
  • wiscokid
    9 months ago

I realized not that long ago (when I scrolled past someone who I didn't even remember anymore and then past another who was now dead, and had been for over 5 years) how the shift from physical address books to phone contacts means you never do the "purging" in your phone they way you did when you transferred to a new address book....

salonva thanked wiscokid
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 months ago

Yes. It is about 30 years old and was a gift for DH. I still hand write and address Christmas cards and condolence. I find it easier to flip back and forth through a little book than scroll through a phone. I also use a physical paper diary, as do my children.

salonva thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • maddielee
    9 months ago

In the early days of our home computer ownership (1990s) we bought the program for MyPhoneBook. It was nifty because you could print it out in different sizes.

It was also dangerous because you included Social Security numbers in the data.

This is my last updated version. Every thing is now kept in my phone.

salonva thanked maddielee
  • lascatx
    9 months ago

I do, but only because DH found one that is at least 30 years old and has been packed in a box for over 20. I told him I wanted to look through it before he tossed it. Computers can be efficient (or not), but I liked the tactile element of both my address book and my rolodex. They carry more history and memories than a digital file, even an annotated one.

salonva thanked lascatx
  • Feathers11
    9 months ago

Yes, I still have an address book with hand-written addresses, birth dates, anniversaries, etc. I don't need another excuse to look at a screen.

salonva thanked Feathers11
  • Fun2BHere
    9 months ago

My contacts are all in my phone, but I do have my grandfather’s metal one that pops up to the right page when you move the metal arrow to that initial. I found it while I was moving. I suspect I’ll take a quick look at it and then consign it to the recycle bin. My mother has two that haven’t been updated since she has started losing her memory. I suppose I should go through and put all that information in her phone if I ever have two hours free while I’m at her house.

salonva thanked Fun2BHere
  • gsciencechick
    9 months ago

No, because I print labels for Christmas cards, so everything is in the label template.

salonva thanked gsciencechick
  • lizbeth-gardener
    9 months ago

Yes, I do. I use it mostly for sympathy notes or Chrstmas cards, but also when an adult child needed former addresses for a security clearance it was a big help.

salonva thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Elmer J Fudd
    9 months ago

I've used a computer-based contact book for over 20 years. It's convenient and flexible and also easily accessible to me any number of ways - using any PC, any tablet, and of course - my phone.

salonva thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • lonestar123
    9 months ago

I use an address book to send birthday cards to people. We have a label file on the computer to print labels for Christmas cards, but I still find the address book handy for quick sending of cards. My address book is 46 years old and was supposed to be a Christmas card list for 5 years, but I just put people under their last name and don't keep track of who we send to.

salonva thanked lonestar123
  • bragu_DSM 5
    9 months ago

mine is an old rolodex ... like it alot ... can set aside a section for relatives

salonva thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Olychick
    9 months ago

I've kept mine, thank goodness. Recently, something happened to my calendar in Apple. It goofed up every single birthday and listed everyone's birthday every single day. I spent 4 hours on the phone with Apple trying to straighten it out and we finally just gave up and I had to delete everyone's birthdays. So my address book, which also has birthdays for most people in my life saved the day. But just today, I remembered a birthday not in my book and had to google her to try to figure it out and I did find it that way.

salonva thanked Olychick
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 months ago

Yes. It hardly ever gets pulled out, though. I remember the phone #'s of people I call regularly (on the landline, no less), so I don't need it. Once it in a while I pull it out if I need an address, but that's about it.

salonva thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • Elmer J Fudd
    9 months ago

Google apps and functions that are superior to the Apple produced ones and its Calendar app is one of them. By tying the calendar to Google, it's fully integrated with the Gmail suite of things and so is backed up online.

Another Google app for iphones that has long been heads and shoulders over its Apple equivalent is Google Maps.

• Sisters in faith
    9 months ago

I keep an address book, as back-up. I lost addresses too many times, because computer crashes, or phone breaks.

salonva thanked Sisters in faith
  • Elmer J Fudd
    9 months ago

When tied to any of the systems that automatically backup user info, computer crashes, power spikes and whatever should do no damage to such data. Additionally, all of the various apps have functions to export the data so that it can be backed up on secondary equipment.

• lily316
    9 months ago

I have an address book for 30-40 years and almost everyone in it is dead.

salonva thanked lily316
  • Kathsgrdn
    9 months ago

A few years ago I downsized to a tiny one. My old one was pretty worn out and falling apart. I had it since I was probably a preteen. I used it about a month ago to send a check that was sent to my address for my son. I got it back a little bit later because I didn't read my own writing correctly and wrote down one wrong number in his zip code. I don't send out Christmas or birthday cards anymore so don't use it much.

salonva thanked Kathsgrdn
  • kellysar87
    9 months ago

I find an address book handy to store my computer user names and passwords.

salonva thanked kellysar87
  • daki
    9 months ago

I think had may have had one at one point in the far distant past (I mostly had work rolodex cards) but I added my stuff to DH’s physical address book so everything was in one place.. Then we both copied everything over to our cell phones.

salonva thanked daki
  • maggie200
    9 months ago

I am soooo glad i never threw out my address books. maybe twice a year i go back and look for an old friend or ask what was the name of that furniture store? i'm sure i will look more often at them as i out live my family and fruends who helped me remember. very valuable property for me.

salonva thanked maggie200
  • HU-127064464
    9 months ago

For the person who said s/he disliked writing return addresses on Christmas, birthday cards, etc., I support several charities and over the years a number have sent sheets of return address stickers, probably enough to last me for 330 years or so.

(Intended to write "30" above, actually came out as "39"; should have left it, I guess, being close ... but when I went to aamend, reduplication editor amended it as you see. There aren't that many on hand, I assure you!).

I have an address book that's been around for many years. I find that after several amendments have been made on one person's listing, I cut a a piece of glued paper from a received envelope that wasn't fully glued to fit the needed space.

ole joyful

salonva thanked HU-127064464
  • ratherbesewing
    9 months ago

My method:

salonva thanked ratherbesewing
  • salonva
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Mine was more of a relic, but still had some good information in it. I did look with the greeting cards and wrapping paper and a few other likely places..... still have not located it.

It is a trip down memory lane and now it's become more of a challenge to find it.

I'lll let you know when (if?) I find it and hopefully it won't be too crazy a place where it's been stashed.

• nicole___
    9 months ago

Yes...and like so many, it's a trip down memory lane. When I turned 60, a momentous occasion in my life...I started Googling/looking up people I'd lost touch with. I found mostly obituaries. A LOT of my contacts were coworkers I'd grown close too, then had no time to see when I'd moved on. The red headed girl that lived across the alley from me growing up I couldn't have found without my address book. An alcoholic, smoker, in & out of jail...she was still alive. A miracle!

salonva thanked nicole___
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    9 months ago

I have one that was my parents from at least 40 years ago. Not sure why I still have it because I'd guess that 90% of the people in it have either moved or passed on.

salonva thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • salonva
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Well yay I found it!!!

I looked again at where I keep cards and usually keep the address book, in an antique cabinet by the front door. I emptied it and it was not there.

Then I looked again at the book case in my kitchen where I display decorative pretties, but on the bottom shelf I have some cookbooks, and some art supplies and sitckers for my grandkids.

I moved the books and it was nested behind a cook book.

So I felt so relieved to find it. (with cards and notes inside peeking out.

• jakabedy
    9 months ago

I shifted everything to my phone contacts about four or five years ago. I used to carry a small paper calendar in my purse, but migrated that over to my phone also by at least 2014. I do use my work Outlook calendar for everything because I like to see it all in one place without having to use some sort of app to combine all the calendars. If and when I finally retire I'll probably switch to a Google calendar. I'm Apple and DBF is Google and I don't think either one of will ever switch, so it needs to work for both of us.

salonva thanked jakabedy
  • maire_cate
    9 months ago

Glad you found it Salonva. It has such a pretty cover too. That's the kind of thing that can really annoy me. I thought I had misplaced a set of car keys last week. So I looked all over the car, dumped out my purse, checked the kitchen, even places where they should not be - no luck. About 3 hours later while making dinner I remembered that I had worn a rain jacket earlier when I went grocery shopping - yep - they were there.

salonva thanked maire_cate
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz