SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

If you have a MacBook - which one, what specs

3katz4me
5 years ago

I've decided I need to buy a laptop to use after I retire. I'll be spending more time at our lake place and want a keyboard. I've gotten by fine with an ipad and I often have my work laptop if I need to do something with a keyboard. I'm a lifetime PC user and DH is a die hard Apple user. I'm tech support in the household and I don't know Macs though I deal with all the Apple mobile device stuff. He will never change so I'm thinking I probably should so we can all be on the same platform. I'm also intrigued by the idea of switching off of Quicken (that I've used for 28 years) to a different app. I have an all-in-one PC at home - eventually will probably morph off of that to one laptop with a monitor. I don't think I'd like switching between the PC and MacBook. I mostly use the computer for managing finances and use various MS Office apps. Who knows what I'll do when I have more time post-retirement. I've worked an IT related role most of my career so I like doing stuff on the computer.

So I was looking at the various models and wondered what others have and how you decided. I typically don't use all that much hard drive space but like a lot of memory for optimal speed throughout the lifetime of the device. I thought a 15" screen would be nice but the laptop I use now for work is smaller and works well enough and the 13" models are considerably less expensive. I have a touch screen which I really like so I'd be giving that up. I hate track pads but maybe I'd get used to the Mac version but I'd likely use a wireless mouse most of the time.

For anyone else who may have switched from PC what can you tell me that about the changeover.

Comments (23)