SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_mackinnon69

Bona Red Out + Nordic Seal on Red Oak?

Jen M
9 months ago

We are refinishing our floors next week and I am really hoping to go lighter with our red oak. Many people suggest Bona Red Out + Nordic Seal - does anyone have this combo that can provide pictures?

Open to any other suggestions if anyone has had success going lighter with their red oak!

Comments (40)

• Paul F.
    9 months ago

My floor guy had a container of Bona Red out but never had used it before, he wanted to bleach instead. He bleached once and it is still pink despite him starting to stain. Now I hear that you need to bleach three times to get a significant amount of red out. I should have insisted that we use the red-out... Bona seems to be a cutting edge technology. Don't take the removal of the the red lightly... it's hard to do from my experience.

• Andrew Schmidt
    8 months ago

Hey Jen -Curious if you’ve tried anything yet on your red oak floors.

Here’s a thread with a lot of info on Bona Nordic seal on red oak. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4766317/bona-nordicseal-on-red-oak#n=221

I tried another method I’d found online…which was a mix of duraseal country white and pecan. I did not care for the results even after trying the mix at varying ratios. The pink was still present and looked like 80s pecan/whitewashed cabinets in my opinion.

The thread above has a lot of good info/opinions. At the end of the day, in my opinion, it’s a losing battle to get the exact look you are looking for (I too) with red oak.

I’m tossing in the towel and going with Bona Natural seal & commercial matte hd finish next week…OR going dark. The dark mix I like on red oak is Duraseal mix of 25-35% ebony and 75-65% Jacobean (depends on specific red oak floor…need to experiment) but looks rich (imo) and doesn’t present black or red /orange/pink.

Really trying to go light, as it’s a very small lake house, and want to appear more open, but if the natural seal and finish look too pink, gonna toss in the towel.

Per the thread, many have said that natural looks less pink than Nordic and there are pics. Using bleach/lye mix first may help, but still shows pink and the process is a nightmare imo. Super corrosive/hard on the wood and can get blotch if not event done and removed.

Good luck!

• Related Discussions

Bona Amber, Classic or Nordic seal on Red Oak with Swiss Coffee walls?

Q

Comments (5)
    have your flooring person sand one area, and then apply sample swatches of the products you're thinking of. view them during different times of day as the lighting changes. once you picked a product, it'll be easy to sand that sample patch down again to get it ready for the whole job. (just be sure it's the kind of floor that can withstand multiple sandings.)
    ...See More

Using Bona NaturalSeal on top-nailed red oak

Q

Comments (8)
    We had our 2 1/2" top-nailed red oak floors refinished with some kind of water-based Bona Natural seal...no stain...almost 2 years ago. The nails are visible in the existing floor, which were sanded enough to remove the stain; nails are not as visible on the matching floor we had them install in the rooms that had previously been carpet. I thought the nail visibility had more to do with how much floor was sanded down to remove the pre-existing stain. Nothing is rusty.
    ...See More

match red oak banister to white oak floors. Bona Natural Seal?

Q

Comments (5)
    Did you ever have any luck with the banister? i have white oak, red oak, and fir in my house trying to make it all match or complement the look of natural white oak! If you found something that worked can you please share an after photo and the color used? thanks!
    ...See More

White stain or Nordic seal on red oak floors

Q

Comments (8)
    It's funny, the previous owners had stained it such that it looked like red oak, so everyone had been operating under the assumption that it was. No wonder it looked weird after applying red out! I still like it with the little bit of white stain. I think it will contrast nicely with the walnut cabinets.
    ...See More
  • Jocelyn Hartman
    7 months ago

I am in the same boat. Red Oak floors I want to look like my former home's light white oak floors. My refinisher has started today and we are just now putting samples on to test. He is using Berger-Seidel products. We are testing their natural Stain, their Nordic White with 2,3, and 4 coats. And they have a new product called Pinkequalizer which we are testing with the same products over it. I will let you know how it goes!

• Jen M
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Jocelyn - We ended up going with Lobas white stain. It didn’t erase the pink, but we’re happy with the results (anything is better than the bright orange they were before) good luck with yours!!

• Paul F.
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

First pic is of the red oak stairs. Then the next two are the scary Bona red-out reaction that temporarily blackened SOME of the stairs as the tannins in the wood reacted with the Bona process... no one tells you about that! TWO rounds of the 2 step process were necessary to even out the color of the individual planks.

Last pic is the stain samples on a twice Bona'd sample planks. I've used plain wood bleach before and I agree that process removes all the character from the wood.

• Jocelyn Hartman
    7 months ago

Your floors look great, Jen!

• Laura Lachman
    7 months ago

Paul, what stain did you end up

choosing and can you show us the final product?

• Paul F.
    7 months ago

Everything is covered with plastic and paper right now for painting. I'll post when I can. BTW, 4 of the top stairs needed to be resanded (bona'd again) because of blotchiness with the stain. The best we can figure out is the heat/light from the giant skylight above the top stairs warmed up the wood and being that the pores were wide open, the stain took differently. It was done during the recent heat wave so it makes sense. Controlling the temperature of the wood by covering the skylight did the trick.

• Jocelyn Hartman
    7 months ago

Love how my floors are turning out! Here is a photo showing the newly sanded red oak which is very pink and the other side is 1 coat of Berger-Seidel Pinkqualizer plus one coat of their Nordic white plus 1 coat of Royal Matte. There will be one to two more coats of royal matt applied. the rooms are looking so light and airy now

• Laura Lachman
    7 months ago

jocelyn this is a new product for me. Can we see a full floor shot?

• Jocelyn Hartman
    7 months ago

Laura, the pinkqualizer is very new as it came out just this year I believe. I'll be happy to upload some more photos when the floors are finished. The room you can see at the bottom is now filled with a bunch of furniture from the other rooms. So, hopefully by the end of the week I should be able to take some full floor photos. My floor refinisher is a perfectionist, so we are on his timeline. He finishes floors like furniture-not your average, run of the mill, get the floors done as fast as possible type. I will say they are coming along beautifully! We tried different amounts of Nordic White over the pinkqualizer, from 1 to 4 coats, but really loved just the hint of white of 1 coat.

• Laura Lachman
    7 months ago

do you know if it can be used with other stains?

• Jocelyn Hartman
    7 months ago

no, sorry I don't know. I was interested in a particular look and my floor refinisher thought this would give me the closest to the finish I wanted. But I don't see why it wouldn't work with other stains. We tested with Berger-Seidel's Natural Stain- but I wanted a different look and finish.

• Paul F.
    7 months ago

So odd that he would only do half the floor with so many steps involved.

• Jocelyn Hartman
    7 months ago

not really-we were testing out on one room- then before the final coats go on it, the furniture was all put in that room while the rest of the downstairs floors are getting refinished.

• Jocelyn Hartman
    7 months ago

Laura- here is a photo of a finished floor. It is so hard to get an accurate photo. It's a bit lighter and has no pink tones in person. Natural late afternoon light in a Southeast facing exposure. This is 1 coat Berger-Seidel Pinkqualizer, 1 coat of their Nordic White, and 2 coats of their Royal Mat. I absolutely love how they have turned out. Lots of color and grain variation in our 12 year old red oak, but it just adds to the charm of the floors in our coastal home.

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

Just got mine done, they came out beyond expectations.

Red out x2

Nordic x 1

Traffic hd satin x2

• Laura Lachman
    6 months ago

looks great! Is this a before and after shot? can we see a close up of the room with the chandelier?

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

Haha not even close, chrck out the pics from before. Will also include our sample square as we were deciding between 1 or 2 coats of nordic. Not sure if my company knew what they were doing with the nordic (not enough sanding after nordic?) but everyone that saw it said 2 coats looked like the grain was covered with a haze

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

After doing my homework it appears the disadvantage to doing only one coat is the higher possibility of lap marks that only show when you put traffic on after. They redid my living room(sanding down to raw wood, back to red out) after I pointed these out.

I think I saw a professional on here comment on 2 coats being the same result if sanded properly. The owner of this company seemed very good but the employees really seemed to not exactly take their trade too seriously.

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

Lap marks

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

Failed touch up before redoing living/chandelier room

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

Lessons learned for me, hopefully this may help someone else out..

-Ask to see your home during each step of the process. Mistakes are easier to correct on the spot and otherwise may require a complete redo if not handled immediately.

-Pictures online are somewhat meaningless. You can hardly see the red oak "red" in my pics of half sanded floors, although it was quite present. Lighting and the temp your camrea sets completely changes the mapping from your eyes->photo. I played with flash, lighting temp and photos in Adobe light room to try to determine the differences in sample squares.

-Look for unsanded areas if you are refinishing pre manufactured, had a ton on the stairs that stuck out like a sore thumb after going significantly lighter.

-2 applications red out makes for a much more dramatic difference than 1

• pkriemersma
    6 months ago

Arda, we’re planning to do two rounds of red out as well but trying to determine drying time between. Did they start the second round right away? Was there a 12 hour dry time before doing the sealer, or did they go right into it? thanks!

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

@pkr (for 2nd redout application) instructions say to wait until wood is visibility dry, appears this is what my guys did as well.

Before the sealer instructions are explicit about using a pinless moisture gage to ensure wood has no extra moisture compared to pre red-out. I am not a flooring guy, but from what I have learned this is probably super important before sealing

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

If, you are applyinga second treatment of red out. You do not need to inspect with a moisture meter. Floor boards just needs to be dry visiblly to the eye. After the second treatment a moisture meter should be used. Although waiting overnight is more than enough.

Bergen Seidle's Pinkqualizer is a better product. One treatment is all you need. It does not get diluted like Pink blocker by Ciranova.

Bona's Red Out has a chalky residue at the bottom of the bottle that does not wash off. Which means you can not account for a full gallon of product. Only way to remove it is to redo the area. Pinkqualizer is the better product.

• Jing Wang
    6 months ago

@Arda The floors looks amazing. Are you going to paint the walls and the hand rail too? I have the same wall and hand rail colors, would love to see the finished results.

• Arda Cole
    6 months ago

Thanks Jing. No plans for painting the walls and hand rails, hands are full replacing baulsters and painting the trim under them 😅

• gmazz7
    6 months ago

G&S Flooring, can you please show some before and after pictures of the Pinkqualizer treatment on red oak?

• dan1888
    6 months ago

Marketting demo. It's a new product.

• gmazz7
    6 months ago

Thanks for posting Dan. it is diifficult to see the wood flooring in the video so hoping we can see some in actual in home results.

• Jocelyn Hartman
    6 months ago

gmazz- if you look earlier in this thread you will see that we used pinkqualizer on our floors. Floors are lighter in person than they look in the photos- hard to get a good picture.

• Jocelyn Hartman
    6 months ago

this may show it a bit better. But it still looks darker in photos than real life.

• Jocelyn Hartman
    6 months ago

here is a before photo of floors

• gmazz7
    6 months ago

Thank you Jocelyn. Did your floor refinishers have experience with Pinkqualizer or did you ask them to use it?

• gmazz7
    6 months ago

Your kitchen looks terrific!

• Jocelyn Hartman
    6 months ago

thanks, gmazz7. Our floor refinisher suggested using it. I had asked about Bona Red Out and he felt this was a superior product. I think he had only used it once before- it is a very new product.

• gmazz7
    6 months ago

Thanks! it does sound more predictable.

We live in western suburbs of Chicago and are interested in having our red oak floors refinished with this product. If anyone has experience using it and would like to give us a quote, please post a link to your business.