Actual or Audible ? what is your preference ?
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (12)
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Discussions
Patio: Square, rectangle or round, what's your preference?
Comments (12)Our patio will be off of our small deck. The deck is rectangular. However I do want, up in the back (visible from the deck) a circular deck built into the grade of the land (which slopes into the property slightly). This will be a landing pad for a "hot" and cold tub. I don't need a pool, but I'd like to be able to jump into water after a hard days work (and I no longer use a tub indoors). Round is a shape that would work well up there so I originally was thinking of echoing that shape. As for pavers, I will use just the plain, cheap concrete style. Which may sound odd (so many people get rid of them) however, they are very 50's/60's and that is the look I am going for. Our furniture is coming from a friend, and it's all vintage. Our outdoor kitchen will not be (are you shocked?) what most people would have. A small adobe oven for baking, an "open" adobe "grill" instead of a typical BBQ and a side area with two burners - sort of like a vintage wood stove idea (I'm even thinking of finding an iron stove top and old burners to build into this idea). Off to another side will be the "island" so we can have an area to use for dry ice cooling if needed, a utility sink (hooked up to a hose) for washing vegetables and a small prep area. The tables and chairs are all rounded shapes. But you are right Token, everything else is very linear at our house. There will be slightly more flowing areas in the back: the dry creek will have some very gentle bends, there will be a round-ish dry pond, I bought an arbor with four sides that is rounded to put a hammock under. I think the cistern field will be a round shape too for simplicity. There are paths planned, they will be casual and not purposefully windy but gentle, not perfectly straight but close to it. Again, in my mind I had a rounded shape for a patio here but then I though that might not be conducive to having casual seating areas. There maybe be a small table, but it might be more of several chairs and side tables. We have another area close by with a rectangular table and 4 chairs on a retangular patio coming as well, but you won't be able to see that from the deck patio....See MoreDoes anyone actually prefer a side-by-side?
Comments (43)We just replaced a basic 30" top freezer with a 33" SxS (i.e. very small narrow freezer), and are totally in love! At first we were looking for a French Door, but our cabinets were not high enough for them (unless we chose a 30" unit), a mistake we made when remodelling 5 years ago. We looked into the SxS since it gave us more options, and really liked the idea. Ice & water dispenser in the door (we love ice but I hate to make it, so I would just buy some packages of it every few weeks), easy access to fridge items, and some basic freezer stuff. Bear in mind that I have standalone manual defrost freezer in the basement where I keep most stuff anyways, so here go the frozen turkeys and most of that. Clearly a turkey wouldn't fit in the freezer part, but I can defrost it in the fridge part. We also kept the old fridge as an overflow, for big packs of beverages, and because we need more than just the space available with one unit: I buy tons of fresh produce every week, and pre-prepare meals on the week-end to reheat, so on Sundays my old fridge would be Tetris party, and it also meant some extra stop at the grocery at the end of the week for produce. Regarding the old concern, most platters & cookie sheet fit in my SxS, so I really have no issues with that either. The freezer access is indeed harder, most of all because of the bulky ice maker in the door, but we only store some ice cream, a bread loaf, ice packs, and some vodka & rum bottles in there. Lots of stuff is eye level now, doors are easy to open, fridge part is big, nice produce drawers, easy access to water & ice, we feel very happy with our purchase. We really thought that one out, and all the minus were OK for us. I guess there are many other in our situation....See MoreWhat are your preferred ways to find a GOOD new Doctor?
Comments (16)In Ontario, you can go on the College of Physicians website and find out which doctors are accepting patients. Then you can look further there to see when and where they graduated from, whether or not they have hospital admitting privileges, whether or not they have restrictions etc. It is a great source of information if you are willing to do some homework. Sites such as RateMD's are also a site of information that will give you a bit of an indication of how the doctor treats the patients. As a nurse, I have worked with many doctors and I have to say that it is pretty accurate for personalities. Keep in mind that there will always be some unhappy reports. Doctors are human after all and no one is perfect. It will give you an idea and a general feeling about a doctor in any case. Doctors in Ontario are in such short supply, we really don't have the luxury of choosing as much as in some countries. We are lucky if we can find a doctor that will take us....See MoreHow 'fluid' are your architectural preferences?
Comments (26)Town was most important for the schools and distance from Boston (close). I wanted a Victorian with natural woodwork in my town that was originally a single family but now a 2 family that could easily be converted back to a single. It would probably be an estate sale since I couldn't afford anything else. I started to look for "my" home a year before we were ready to buy so that when the "perfect" home came on the market I was ready to pounce. A week into the initial search and a year before we were ready to buy I pounced on a 1825 brick federal home. It was structuraly sound but cosmetically challenged. The price I couldn't pass - easily converted back into a single BUT no natural woodwork. Those homes with beautiful woodwork were $300K - $400K MORE - way out of my price range. This is our forever house. I still long for natural woodwork. We stripped the doors and they're either black walnut (probably) or mahagany which I will leave natural with tung oil. We stripped some woodwork - hodgepodge of many types of wood so we painted again. I still long for that painted lady Victorian with beautiful natural woodwork inside but settled for the Federal brick home. A wing was added in 1840-1860. It was really muddled in 1914 when the house was converted into a 2 family. We gutted the kitchen and that wing (didn't want to gut all of it but ice dams and collapsing ceilings changed our mind). I had a hard time deciding on trim, door types (5 piece vs. 6 piece raised panel, etc.) Decided to go with the last major muddle - 1914. I could find the trim work as stock in the local lumber yard vs. buying knives for my 6" trim in the main house. This also helped me pick door wood type and style, flooring, etc. I let the house try to guide me in the right direction. Yes, I would like that Victorian but I love where I am now....See More- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
Related Stories

LIFEYou Said It: ‘I Actually Prefer Small Houses’ and Other Quotables
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME9 Smells You Actually Want in Your Home
Boost memory, enhance sleep, lower anxiety ... these scents do way more than just smell good
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Pros and Cons of Making Your Bed Every Day
Houzz readers around the world share their preferences, while sleep and housekeeping experts weigh in with advice
Full Story
MOST POPULARDare to Decorate With ‘The World’s Ugliest Color’
See how this hue can actually look quite handsome inside your home
Full Story
LIFEHouse Rule: Off With Your Shoes
Do you prefer your guests to go shoeless in your house? Here are some ways to encourage stockinged feet
Full Story
LIFE10 Things Night Owls Know to Be True
Love being up while the world slumbers? Prefer a really late bedtime to an early night? These observations on night owl life may ring true
Full Story
LIVING ROOMS8 Reasons to Nix Your Fireplace (Yes, for Real)
Dare you consider trading that 'coveted' design feature for something you'll actually use? This logic can help
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEGet Cleaner Indoor Air Without Opening a Window
Mechanical ventilation can actually be better for your home than the natural kind. Find out the whys and hows here
Full Story
CLOSETSTrending Now: 15 Dream Closets to Admire
The most popular new closet photos on Houzz appeal to the neatnik or clotheshorse in all of us. Which do you prefer?
Full Story
FUN HOUZZHere's Looking at You: A Mirror Personality Quiz
What does your bathroom mirror preference say about you? We offer some speculations to go with 11 very different mirror styles
Full StorySponsored
ginny12