SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Have you ever had a twilight zone moment?

Oakley
9 months ago

A bunch of us from high school are playing on FB tonight talking about great memories, and I googled my late brother's graduating class because I was friends with all of his friends. I clicked on images, and the first thing I saw was MY picture from a yearbook. I didn't type in either of our names.

Comments (53)

• arcy_gw
    9 months ago

Oakley that was an INTENET black helicopter moment!! What you search/talk about over the cyber airwaves is KNOWN by all your devices/social media outlets and yes they exploit it and use it to control how you click!!!!

• Sueb20
    9 months ago

Yes, big brother is watching.

• Related Discussions

Have you ever had a rose disappear?

Q

Comments (20)
    Yes, I've had both blooms taken and, thanfully only once--a potted miniflora; right before mother's day, too. What a lovely sentiment for Mom! "Ma, I love you so much, here's a stolen plant as a token of my appreciation for HOW WELL YOU RAISED ME! I've never had a plant stolen out of the ground, but as for varmints, I have had a number of cats lie on top of young plants and break their canes and new basal growth. It aggravates me for sure, but it's never killed the whole plant. I eventually started sticking little verticle jagged bamboo sticks into the soil in the tops of the pots to discourage them. That seems to "mostly" work. What I haven't figured out is how to keep squirrels from diggin holes in the soil. Any suggestions? Since for the past 8-9 years, I've grown all my roses in pots, after the Mother's Day theft, I started running coated steal cables through holes I've drilled in the pots and connecting all the pots. So someone will either have to plan ahead and bring fairly specialized tools to cut the cables, or break the pots apart and try to carry off the plans sans pot, or bring 3 dozen friends to help them carry all the pots off together, since I lashed the whole garden together, pretty much. That may sound weird, but the way I've arranged it the cables aren't terribly apparent until you try to pick up an individual pot. the cables remain mostly covered in mulch. I know, a determined thief could find a way, but I figure most of the thefts are crimes of convenience (I hope). what's also quite aggravating is people "tearing" rose stems off the bushes, not even bothering to cut them cleanly. I don't mind sharing occasional blooms if people ask, but how thoughtless to damage the whole plant just because you want a pretty flower for a couple days. Mostly I have to count my blessings, though, since I have to grow my roses right out in front where passers by have easy access; that's the only part of my yard with full sun. I'm surprised I've had only 1 plant taken. And the stolen blooms are only a very occasional occurrance.
    ...See More

Have you ever had the creeps from a CL responder?

Q

Comments (21)
    Justgotabeme, Your advice on a nice display with background was good, although I didn't do my wording on the background. After I took the word "Quality" out of my ad I had zero money order scammers and I am now convinced there are key word triggers for the scam artists. My sofa has gone to its new home and I got close to my asking price. I do think the display with nice background brought the real buyers in.
    ...See More

What is the most memorable holiday meal you have ever had?

Q

Comments (51)
    A few years back my wife and I were traveling on business in Brazil over Thanksgiving. A professor my wife was working with took us and several of the students to a churrascaria for dinner on Thanksgiving. (A churrascaria is a restaurant where servers roam around the restaurant with skewers of various cooked meats, continually stopping at each table to carve off some to everyone at the table) While there I mentioned that it was the US holiday of Thanksgiving and described it to the professor and the Brazilian students in general terms: get together with family and/or friends and have a large meal together, and described the "traditional" Thanksgiving meal. I was merely trying to make conversation, and make the point that what we were doing was pretty similar to the Thanksgiving tradition. However the professor responded "I'll see what I can do" and flagged the head waiter over, and spoke to him in rapid Portuguese. The waiter responded to us "We don't have any turkey but I'll see what we can do." and disappeared into the kitchen. About 10 minutes later he emerged from the kitchen followed by a server carrying a large skewer of meat, he presented it to us with a big beaming smile saying "This is as close as we could get to turkey. It's Ostrich." It didn't taste even a little like turkey, but it was delicious.
    ...See More

Have you ever had a birthday that you dreaded?

Q

Comments (40)
    Thirty was happy for me. We were able to adopt our DS after six years of marriage and surgery that left me unable to conceive. This year has been an uneasy one because my mother died at this age -- in October. It was an awful year for her, slowing dying of leukemia, and for me as her only child. DH had mixed feelings when he reached the age at which his father had died of a heart attack. Because DH had never been told he was adopted, and because all of his father's brothers also died of strokes, he'd been allowed to assume he would have the same fate. (Another example of his adoptive mother's nature.) Now DH has lived 25 years longer than his father did. And ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead.
    ...See More
  • jojoco
    9 months ago

My cousins and I were all standing around the dining table where items that belonged to my late aunt were arrayed. We all picked what we wanted--no squabbling, just a lot of joy and laughter about what a great consignment shopper and antique collector my aunt was. (Aside: I picked a darling staffordshire pottery piece of two dogs, a book on Staffordshire pottery, and those floral painted napkin rings that are in my guest room redo.)

Anyway, my cousin (my aunt's son) was talking about a trip he didn't take and I said "Should've, would've, could've" . I can't remember ever using that expression in my life--it just popped out. He looked at me and said "That was Mom's favorite expression. She said it all the time."

Not sure if this qualifies as a "Twilight moment" but it felt special.

• maddielee
    9 months ago

Cute picture Oakley.

• teeda
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Many years ago I was reading the newspaper and saw an ad for picture frames at a local department store. There were vintage portraits in the frames. As I stared at them I realized I was looking at my husband's grandparents. His grandparents had been gone for a long time and had lived in another state. DH had no relatives in our area. DH started making phone calls to family members. It took about a week to get to the bottom of it, but we found out that a second cousin of his worked in the advertising department of the department store chain and had used the family photos for the shoot. It was so weird!

• maddielee
    9 months ago

WOW! @Jilly

• LynnNM
    9 months ago

Oh my gosh, Jilly😮!!!

• nini804
    9 months ago

That gave me goosebumps, Jilly! 💕

• teeda
    9 months ago

Jilly, that is incredible. Wow.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Seagrass, if that was the first time he was suggested as a friend, I think it's his way of saying hi. Is his FB page still up?

Lars, that's just too freaky. Almost a deja vu moment come to life. I loved The Twilight Zone.

Arcy, I realize that but this was a first. It was from one of those classmates websites you have to subcribe to. I'll wear my tin hat just in case.

Jojo, that's more than a coincidence, imo.

Teeda, that would have sent chills up my spine. Did you buy some frames to keep, but not wear?

Jilly, did you all hook up by phone right after that? Have you ever googled dreams that came true? I've always read to pay attention to our dreams. There's so much to this universe that's happening all around us and we'll never know why. I'm thinking it was a message from your late husband, to move forward and he found someone who will take care of you. Now I'm verklempt. Reminds me of the ending in Sleepless in Seattle. Those two were destined for each other after the wife's death. :)

• girlnamedgalez8a
    9 months ago

A while back I posted on a group page on FB & the person who replied had the same first & last name of my deceased husband. It had only been a few months since I lost my husband & it really threw me for a moment.

• Jilly
    9 months ago

Oak, not for a few weeks. He kept asking if he could call, we had so much to talk about.

But I just wasn’t ready for that, for many reasons.

Finally I relented and there were nights we’d talk until dawn the next day. A few months after that, we met in person. A few years later, we married. :)

Girl, I can imagine how that threw you. First AND last name! I still get a pang seeing my late husband’s first name.

We know another widowed couple — the wife has the same name as the first wife. I don’t think I could live with that.

ETA: My beloved zebra chair, that my late DH got for me from his hospital bed, is what brought us together. Another long story. :)

• chinacatpeekin
    9 months ago

Wow, Jilly!! That is an absolutely amazing story. I love it.

• SEA SEA
    9 months ago

That's a lovely story Jilly. Big hearts.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    9 months ago

Jilly! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Allison0704
    9 months ago

Goosebumps, Jilly!

• Ally De
    9 months ago

That left me almost speechless Jilly. Thank you for sharing that.

Oakley, it's likely your computer "knows" your name. If you've ever allowed autofill it absolutely knows your name, and even if not it's almost certainly saved in your cookies. Also Facebook snoops through everything under the sun in your computer history when you're online with them, hence their uncanny ability to suggest relevant things.

• porkandham
    9 months ago

Jilly! What an incredible story!

• jill302
    9 months ago

Jilly! Your story is amazing; the unexplainable that happens sometimes.

When I was younger, I would know when I was going to randomly see friends/aquaintances that I had not seen in a long time and I would run across them in places that I could not have predicted. I would wake up thinking of the person and just know that I would run into them that day and I would. Nothing that I could have guessed. Sometime in my late late 20's it stopped happening.

A close friend that lived about 300 miles away, I would start thinking of her minutes before I received a phone call from her. Once I was walking to my phone to call her, pre cell phone era, when her call came in. This continued until she died of brain cancer 7 years ago. We were the type of friends who would sometimes call each other 3 times in one week, other times not for two months.

• Ida Claire
    9 months ago

Amazing and beautiful story, Jilly! Definitely goosebumps ... but in a good way. It seems to speak to the truth of mysteries that go so far beyond even our most basic comprehension. I find great comfort in the fact that such a great deal is unknowable ... for now, at least.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 months ago

Jilly, that is one incredible story and it both gives me goosebumps and makes me happy that it happened.

I guess my Twilight Zone moments happen fairly frequently. All my adult life I remember this happening, usually at least 2-3 times a year. A person from my past who I havent seen or heard from in a while will come to mind. It’s not in a bad way, just me wondering about them, what they are doing, etc. Usually it’s people I either worked with, had a previous casual friendship with, former neighbor, knew from school or some such. Then about 2 weeks later I will run into this person at random somewhere.

• Olychick
    9 months ago

I'm not sure this was a twilight zone moment, but it was kind of freaky. Before we moved to Olympia, we lived for a while in a tiny, tiny town (pop. 200) near the Canadian border in WA. The locals were nice, but it was very hard to break in socially because there were so few people to ever move there, it just wasn't part of the culture to include newcomers socially. We eventually had a neighbor who also was a newcomer and we became friends. She eventually got a roommate, also not a local, and we became friendly with him, too. We moved away and lost track of each of them (not surprising because we weren't really tight friends, more like friends of circumstance).

When we moved to Oly we bought a sailboat. We became good friends with a woman couple who sailed with us all the time, for years. We took several trips to the San Juan islands to sail on our vacations. One year we decided to charter a larger sailboat and sailed up into the Gulf Islands in Canada. It was gorgeous and in the fall after the kids were back in school, so there were very few people in and around the islands. We would anchor at a Provincial Park and take the dinghy to shore to use the facilities.

One stop we made, there were literally no other people around. We took turns using the sanican and when I was in there, I heard my husband and friends all talking and I could tell they were talking with others. When I emerged, I was shocked to see the man who had been our neighbor's roommate, but even more shocked to learn that he was with his wife, who was a friend of our sailing friends. We didn't know her, our friends didn't know him. We just were all amazed at the connections and the coincidence at running into them in the middle of nowhere on an island. Small world.

• Ida Claire
    9 months ago

I've had experiences similar to Outside's -- someone from the past suddenly and for no apparent reason pops into my mind and I begin to wonder about them. I can recall four or five times that this has happened in an identical manner. Just some random thought will come to mind and I'l think of someone I haven't thought of in years, decades even. When that has happened and I've Googled the person's name, their obituary came up. I had no way of having any previous knowledge of their passing. It's shocked me, to say the least -- and almost makes me scared to think about people from the past! Then again, these events have caused me to reconnect with old friends on a couple of occasions, so maybe the discovery served a positive purpose after all.

• gigi4321
    9 months ago

Jilly, I read your post four times. What an amazing "meant to be" story! Thank you for sharing it.

And Oakley, you are quite the "Betty" Just watched Clueless where they refer to a beautiful woman as a Betty. Maybe a reference from the Betty and Veronika comics?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I just wanted to say, my hair back then wasn't white as the photo makes it appear. Someone piddled with the color.

Never did I consider myself a Betty, the usual teenage insecurity. I read Archie all the time!!!

As many times I've searched for certain classmates my name never came up, this was a first, but honestly, I didn't mind.

My mom was a "Betty" and she let you know it. After my parents divorced she met a man she adored and they later married. It was a wonderful marriage. She told me he was the ugliest man she'd ever met but he was such a gentleman and she fell in love again. lol

• sc_irish
    9 months ago

Jilly: You have shared your compassionate heart with us - which we all adore about you. That being said, with regard to 'the same name as the deceased wife'......yes, you could.....sure you could. I did.....and am!!! It was kismet!

• Jilly
    9 months ago

Irish, thank you for sharing, too! That’s amazing. 🥰

I really appreciate everyone’s kind words, thank you so much. ❤️

Oak, great topic, I get chills reading these stories!

• LynnNM
    9 months ago

Jilly, yours would make a famtastic movie!

• nicole___
    9 months ago

Jilly....just WOW!

Lars...That would be a spooky feeling!

Olychick...What a coincidence...or ?

-----------------------------------------------------

Our last cat loved his owner until the GF, kids and pets moved in. He started attacking the pets, the people started attacking him, put him in the dark garage....and left him there....until Marilyn, the guys mom, brought him home. He was a skinny mess, almost feral. If I threw a ball, he hid, thinking I was trying to hit him. Two weeks & he was "Our BOY! We were in love! Pink yarn balls were harmless....he wasn't afraid of those. He had a basket with 65 balls in it + 4 more baskets of toys he'd collected over the years before his passing. We adopted 2 rescues. When we showed the balls to the new cats, they didn't know what to do with a ball. Neither cat showed any interest. So...we went to bed...and when we woke up...the pink balls were scattered ALL over the house. The other toys....untouched. We'd like to think the ghost of our deceased cat showed the new guys on the block "how-to-play". Ivan carries his ball around when he wants someone to throw it for him....like here.

• heather483
    9 months ago

Jilly, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful story! and now we need the zebra story, too. :)

• Jilly
    9 months ago

Ok, Heather, it does fit the Twilight Zone theme. :)

It’s very emotional still.

When my late DH was in the hospital (for nearly a year, had secondary leukemia and a bmt that went wrong), my birthday rolled around. Way before he got sick, I’d shown him an Uttermost zebra chair I wanted.

On my birthday, he took a bad turn and it was touch and go. I spent the night in the hospital with him. My miracle man pulled through. :)

A few days later, after taking our DD to school, I was getting ready to go to the hospital when I heard the doorbell. It was a friend of ours …. with the zebra chair. He’d had a nurse help him call and buy it over the phone, and asked our friend to deliver it.

Our friend and I had a good cry and set it up. I loved it so much. I couldn’t wait to get to the hospital (over an hour away) and hug him tight. He smiled so big when I walked in.

Whew. Need a minute.

He died five months later.

I joined the support board and one day shared this story, along with photos of the chair, and happy photos of my wonderful husband and me.

My now DH had joined by then and saw the thread. He was very moved. He commented how thoughtful that was of my DH, and that he liked the chair. He asked if it was ok to private message me. I said yes.

That chair was how it all started.

Everyone thinks my late DH had a hand in things. Knowing him, and how loving and protective he was of me, I believe it, too.

The zebra chair:

• teeda
    9 months ago

Such a beautiful story, Jilly.

• jojoco
    9 months ago

another ”the-universe-is-listening” story:

My aunt died very early this morning at her cottage in ct. She was in hospice care and it was a peaceful passing. she was known for her love of sitting on the porch at sunset with her usual cocktail.

Today’s wordle made us all smile and say wow.

• Jilly
    9 months ago

Jojo, hugs and condolences. ❤️

I know the word, love that it made you all smile. :)

• heather483
    9 months ago

Oh my goodness. Thanks so much for sharing, Jilly, and I'm sure you are right about your beloved late DH who led you to your current beloved DH. And it is a truly great chair!

And Jojoco, that's a totally wonderful story and yes, it is a favorite summer beverage here also. I am so grateful to all of you for sharing these moments!

• teeda
    9 months ago

My sympathy for the loss of your aunt, Jojoco. What a gift that she was able to be in what I imagine was her happy place. My dad is now in hospice. The grandkids want us to bring him to our family beach house--his favorite place on earth as he has always said. Unfortunately the logistics make that impossible. So for now we're retelling old stories and looking at photos.

• Jilly
    9 months ago

Aww, Teeda. Big hugs to you and yours. I’m so sorry. 😔

• teeda
    9 months ago

Thanks, Jilly.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Jojo, I'm so sorry. I had to look up today's wordle, did she drink gin and tonic? The very few times I did drink it was always gin and tonic.

Not sure if this is a TZ moment but I wish it'd stop. When I was a little girl I had a horrific recurring dream, and I read they usually happen when we're young. I would be in bed and my door would open and a man came in, didn't turn on the light but I could see his shadow, and tickled me so hard that it hurt and he wouldn't stop, and of course I woke up. I never told my parents.

I think OK is the capital of Brown Recluse spiders, aka fiddlebacks to us. That's why we have our house sprayed every three months. If we see a spider inside during those three months, they come back free of charge. Terminix, love them. Over the years I noticed they show up during high humidity. The T guy sprayed three months ago and that's when we started to get heavy rains almost every night, which will wash away the barrier spray.

About a month ago I was sweeping the kitchen floor when suddenly not one, but two HUGE fiddle backs came out from the corner of the hutch, it's built in so they weren't behind it. One ran under the fridge, and I was able to stomp on the other one. I found one in the sink too. Terminix came out the next day free of charge and also did the kitchen area and spot sprayed other dark areas they get in.

Shortly after that I dreamed there were around 20 fiddlebacks hovered together at the corner of walls and I was going around spraying them with Raid wasp and hornet killer. They were all over my son's bed while he was sleeping and I screamed for him to get up!

We had more heavy rains and about a week ago the T guy sprayed the outside again on the usual schedule.

Last night I had the same dream as before, it was so bad it woke me up. :( Oh, back when DS was in high school he was in the bathroom doing his hair when he hollared in a strange voice, "Mom!" and I ran there as fast as I could, he asked if there was a spider on the back of his shirt and there was a fiddleback! I took my houseshoe and hit it so hard it left a mark on my son's back, but he didn't care. lol

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Another TZ moment today, or just a coincidence. The first name of my new dentist is my last name. Today I found his FB page and so I went to his wife's FB page. She follows only three places. One of those is my hometown newspaper which is only 10 min from Tulsa.

No one from this area is from there, nor did they go to my high school. Fate I say. lol

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 months ago

Years ago, a dear friend had a brief romantic fling with an Italian man. She flew to Italy to visit him in his family‘s village. As they drove to his house, his childhood home, she began to think she must have been there before…so much had begun to look oddly familiar. As the car turned onto the main road into the village she began to name yet to be seen landmarks : the giant tree, open plaza, market, etc. She even described the man’s house ..the exterior…perfectly. She was able to describe them all in detail. A mutual friend was with them. She, and our friend, of course, were in shock. What can possibly explain it? Reincarnation is the immediate thought.

9 months ago

P.S. My own moments include entering two drawings, dropping my ticket into the box/bowl and knowing instantly that I had won. I, too, have thought of someone from my past and have them call within days. My small “powers” of ESP have faded with age, though not completely.

• graywings123
    9 months ago

These are all just amazing stories.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Martinca, I've heard of stories like yours and although as a Christian I'm not supposed to believe in reincarnation, but what else explains it?

Years ago I was at our small grocery store and they had a drawing for a chest freezer & I remembered reading to crinkle you ticket, which was made of paper, and it wil be drawn. I did and I did. My name even got in the paper. lol

• Lars
    9 months ago

I had a lot of predictive dreams when I was a teenager and in my 20s, and I also had very strong premonitions that came true. The strongest predictive dream I had was the day before I left for university, and this was a campus that I had never visited before - a recruiter from the university came to my high school, and that's how I filled out my application.

Anyway, in my dream, I was walking toward the residential college, and I entered the building at a corner where there was a stairwell with stairs that went up half a flight and then down half a flight and then exited into a courtyard/quadrangle. In the dream, I thought that the half stairwell was very odd, and I had never seen anything like that, but the next day I entered the stairwell that I had seen in my dream and then exited into the exact courtyard that I had seen. This gave me an extreme déjà vu feeling, and I walked around for an hours as if I were in a trance. I sort of felt like I was hypnotized.

Predictive dreams are supposedly quite common and up to 50% of people have them at some time in their lifetimes. I think they are most common earlier in life - at least for me.

I used to go to UFO Expo West at the Airport Hilton at LAX in the 1990s, and at one of them I saw and met Al Bielek (of The Philadelphia Experiment fame), who talked about time travel, multiple dimensions, parallel universes, etc, and he said that time travel can happen when one enters a vortex, such as the one in October 1943, which opens up every 20 or 40 years (I forget which), and then one can travel through a wormhole to a different time or a distant planet. He also said that the past continues to exist, but it changes, and if you travel to the past, you go to the past as it is now - not as it was before, and if you travel to the future, then you travel to a probable future, as the future is always changing.

One explanation for predictive dreams is that while dreaming, one can visit a probable future and see future events. The closer one is to that future, the more accurate it will be, but if you travel to a distant future, it will still be changing to much that it will be less accurate.

Michio Kaku has written about multiple dimensions, wormholes, and parallel universes some of his books, notably the book Hyperspace, in which he says that Einstein's unified field theory predicts that there are 10 or 11 dimensions but that we are not able to perceive them most of the time. Perhaps we can get glimpses while dreaming.

9 months ago

Another experience so subtle I’d forgotten it;

Just for fun, I had a reading done by an Edgar Cayce clairavoyant. I was cynical and 95% certain they’d fail my ’test”. It was very early in my pregnancy, so I was not showing at all. Surely though, she’d sense it .Perhaaps she’d tell the gender. I pushed her to reveal what she sensed about my past…testing her, you see. She did say I’d put up a wall by this testing, not being open to her. I left with nothing but two initials she’d seen in my palm. After some head scratching, I thought, well, maybe she’s referencing two close friends who were having marital issues.

A short while after our daughter’s arrival I remembered that reading. Those initials were her first and middle .I’d not begun thinking of names, but perhaps she’d plucked it from my subconscious…or, seen into the furure? .

• Allison0704
    9 months ago

We had a traditional breakfast for lunch today. When I picked up the first egg, I thought "double yoke." It was a double yoke. None of the others were double. Does this count?

I've often thought of someone I haven't seen or spoken to in a long time only to see or hear from them in the next day or two.

In a period of a few years, I had four or five readings by a lady in another state. She read birth charts, so required city/state and time of birth. I provided mine, DH's and our three childrens. If you did not know time, she could read but not as accurately. She also used tarot cards occasionally. She was extremely accurate on a lot of things for someone that did not know us. Things only we would know.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Oh my gosh, you all made me think of something I'd been meaning to look up and it explained a great scene in O Brother, Where Art Thou.

Just finished a book that took place in the 13th century. Earlier in the book there was an old Scottish story told about the Washerwoman. If you see a woman next to a stream washing something, it means you're going to die. Towards the ending of the book one of the main characters who'd been fighting for years stopped to get a drink from a stream. He looked over and a woman was washing something, she turned around and said, "I've got you." He made it home and shortly died.

Short video of Bean Nighe, the washerwoman

O Brother, Where Art Thou. If you haven't seen this movie you will die laughing when you do!

• Lars
    9 months ago

Someone should have stopped those women from washing things in the stream - they were probably polluting the water.