SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somethinggardening

Help with Limelight hydrangea design

I am redesigning the shrubs in front of my deck. This area is 15' long with a left depth 5.5' and right depth 10.5'. The hand railing is 3' and the bottom is 4’. It was previously planted with Knock-out roses, which were removed due to rosette disease. I am thinking about replacing them with limelight hydrangea in the spring but need some help to make up my mind.

I often look at my backyard through the two French doors inside the house. When Knock-out roses were planted there, I could barely see them unless I walk to the backyard. Since limelight will grow 8’ tall, well above the hand railing, I should be able to enjoy them inside the house, but will they be too tall to block the view of the backyard? Since there is a fair distance between the French doors and hand railing, will this still be an issue? Sorry for my lack of imagination.

Another question is about limelight spacing. I could squeeze 3 limelight with 5’ spacing or 2 limelight with 7’ spacing, about 3-3.5’ from the fence. I usually don’t prune my hydrangeas unless it is absolutely necessary. Since this area receives plenty of sunshine, I guess limelight should grow well. With the above information, should I place them 5’ or 7’ apart?

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Comments (11)