SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelleyinperdido

Should porch be opened up to Pool Deck?

Kelley
9 months ago

I love your feedback and ideas on this forum and thank you in advance! This backyard needs a lot, but let’s Please, start with 2 simple things so this post does not go off on an unintended tangent. I’m fully aware much more needs to be addressed & it either is or will be. The 2 items up for discussion and that I seriously need your input on today are:

1. Do you think the back porch and outdoor area would look & function better with the screen removed from the porch opening the entire area to the pool deck? The way the siding lays and how often the door is open, which is always so dog can go out behind the garage, the screen is not keeping out bugs. Fortunately, that has not been a problem so it would not be missed by me for that purpose. I understand screen is somewhat protective when it comes to rain, which we have a fair amount of. Also, steps were built the entire length of the back porch, so from anywhere on the porch you could access the backyard and not be limited to the door.
  2. My husband would like a small fireplace or some variation of a nice fire-pit area. I like the look of a more permanent fire-pit, but if we go with a fire-pit I could be open to ones that can be purchased. Where do you see either a small fireplace or a fire-pit with seating (not built in kind-just outdoor furniture) best fitting? I’m trying to move it to the perimeter as best I can to keep a decent amount of pool deck, but if that is not best let me know. I have thought of bumping out the retaining wall behind the pool and possibly having it open on both sides to see the trees and pond behind our yard. I like the idea, but it is likely by far the most expensive idea I could have. Please keep in mind I prefer not to go broke doing something really extreme. I’ve also thought of the area that is just grass now between the palms in the strip at the west end of the pool. Another location could be the back north corner by the split leaf philodendron, which I love and do not want to lose or burn up from the heat. (Can big, old ones be moved? I love it and it lived through the coldest winter in 30 years. Don’t want to hurt it.) Do you see another possible location or idea? Wherever it goes, I have to date been trying to retain as much pool deck area as possible and still have it look right. We do have decent size gatherings here. Just let me know if that is not possible. Thank you in advance for addressing these 2 topics. I’m well aware there is much more to do and I’m sure I’ll be back to address some of those things at another time. Some are already being addressed. These are the 2 important decisions I have to make now and that I am asking you for your valued opinion on today. If you need any measurement or additional photo just ask me. I’ll get it. I appreciate your assistance more than you know!

Comments (13)