SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Ripe Blue Cheese and spicy chocolate

plllog
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

So... Some of you may have read about how my freezer froze and stopped working (it's all better after its beach vacation). Therefore my fridge is full of too much that needs cooking now. I had to provide fromage et fruits for a business meeting, so I was poking around and found a little wedge of machego and a wedge of Point Reyes blue cheese which I'd planned to use for the blue cheese short bread for the holidays last December, but I was sick and skipped it.

The cheese had a little overly moldy on the outside which I cut off, but what was interesting is that it had ripened like brie would. It's SO good! Who knew? I'm so used to the crumbly white kind. Point Reyes is creamier than Maytag (among others) but now it's super creamy and has some of that sour funk that ripe cheeses have, but not excessively, which the blue cheesiness remains but is milder. I don't know if other, less creamy, blues will do this, but it's worth forgetting a wedge for awhile again if this is the result. :D

Then there's Chuao chocolate, which I got in my farm box. It's from a Venezuelan chocolatier based in California. The one with churros in it sounded interesting, but I didn't much like it--a friend loved it! So then I tried the Spicy Maya. It has cinnamon, pasilla and cayenne. It's amazing. It's all flavor, not much heat, but a little kick, and the actual chocolate is dark and just right. This is a candy bar, not cooking chocolate. My next box will have the Firecracker, which has chipotle, pasilla, salt and popping candy!

It's so fun encountering new flavors! Do share yours!

Comments (2)