SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
course411

Kitchen Reveal!

course411
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

After years of dreaming and drawing, and 7 months of construction, I am thrilled to share the (nearly-finished) results of our kitchen reno.

By way of background: as soon as we purchased this house (2019), I was dreaming of making changes (there are before pictures in the thread): https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5702611/refresh-or-renovate

We took the advice to live in the house for a good long while, and I spent three years playing with different reno concepts. At first the plan was to open the kitchen to the dining room. But after living in the house (especially through covid), the following things became clear:

• We used the dining room table for kid projects more than for eating, and to open up that room to the kitchen would mean an endless task of tidying those projects. No thank you. Keeping kitchen and dining separate also preserved the option of eating (holiday) meals out of sight of the kitchen mess.
  • Our smallish living room was awkward for furniture placement and could comfortably seat only 5 or 6 people. This cramped our entertaining style.
  • There was no easy circulation or flow through the first floor and the kitchen was a bottleneck.
  • The kitchen and living rooms were dark.
  • The house is strangely sited on the lot, with the front door facing the woods, the driveway approach on the kitchen/mud side, and the mudroom door serving as everyday access. Yet there was no sense of entrance on the exterior or welcome on the interior - you walked straight into a tall storage cabinet upon entry into the mudroom, and were forced into the kitchen to access the rest of the house.

Ultimately, we decided to expand the living room, add a screened porch and new deck, connect the expanded LR to the music room / former playroom with a glass pocket door, open up the kitchen to the LR as part of a kitchen gut reno, improve the mudroom entry, and enlarge the mudroom itself. More windows allowing better views of the woods surrounding our property were a priority. Here are the original and reno plans:

We had an architect, KD, landscaper, and general contractor - hired separately - that all worked well together. I have an architecture degree (though I am neither licensed nor practicing), have been reading the Gardenweb/Houzz kitchen board for years, and have loved architectural design since childhood. As a result, I designed the reno, with credit to a designer friend who, over drinks one night, brainstormed the wrap-around wet bar / pantry wall with wine storage.

Although the hired architect and KD largely formalized what I had designed, they were worth their fees for ensuring the engineering and cabinet details all worked. My 3D renderings helped communicate my vision for various design details, and our contractor had really good ideas as we went along.

Having moved in to the kitchen a couple of weeks ago, it is pure joy to be in the new space. I feel like pinching myself every time I walk into the room. This is really ours?! Cooking is fun again and hosting friends is a breeze. It's been a long road, but oh-so-worth it.

The rest of the reno isn't quite ready for prime time; I'll add more photos when the rest is done. Kitchen pictures below, with materials info at the end.

-----

Appliances: Wolf convection oven, speed oven, and 36" induction cooktop; SubZero 36" built-in refrigerator/freezer; Bosch dishwasher; Yale appliance beverage fridge.

Cabinets: Shiloh beaded inset Greensboro; custom built wine storage cabinet

Perimeter cabinet color: Sherwin Williams Unusual Gray

Main cabinet color: Shiloh Soft White

Wall color: matched to Shiloh Soft White

Flooring: Wide Plank Pine (to match reclaimed pine in rest of house)

Countertop: Taj Mahal quartzite

Backsplash: Zia Tile pure white zellige & Cemento Collection Fern Green zellige

Island pendants: Cordero Lighting 20" Copper Smooth Dome Pendants

Sink wall picture lights: Visual Comfort Dessau in natural brass

Cabinet hardware: Ashley Norton Apollo line in natural bronze; Emtek cabinet latches in satin brass

Main Sink: Elkay Quartz Luxe 35 7/8" in Ricotta

Bar Sink: Signature Hardware 19" Atlas Undermount Prep Sink in Bronze

Faucets: Brizo Odin in brilliance stainless

Counter stools: Wayfair Haslingden 24" Bar Stools

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio