SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elle2931

Red oak hardwood stain - Duraseal stains

Elle
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Hello - Just bought a new home and before moving in we are painting and refreshing flooring.

Does anyone have suggestions or opinions on Duraseal stain selection for our floors? The current stain is a golden oak look and has a very shiny varnish finish. Not sure the pictures portray that really well. We are refinishing the floors and are in the process of repainting all the walls Ben Moore Ballet White and trim White Dove. So walls won't be yellow! Ballet White is a warm off-white.

The living room gets a lot of light from South and West. The kitchen window faces East. The shades were down for the pictures so it may not look all that bright. The floors look darker too. Wish I would've opened the shades.

I want to do something more up-to-date for floors and definitely not the gym floor varnish finish look it currently has, but not sure what direction to go with stain color. Once sanded, we will consider natural. That said, I prefer dark floors, but my husband doesn't want them to be too dark. Jacobean that I really like is probably too dark.

Has anyone used Nutmeg? That's what we're considering as a compromise. Does it have a reddish tone? Don't want that. I know it's a personal choice but would love to hear your opinions. In a perfect world, we would be painting the kitchen cabinets white at some point. For now, I don't want the floor so matchy with the cabinets - it is too much of that golden oak color.

The dark squares on floor are LVP samples as we were considering laying over the oak but decided against that idea.

Hope to replace appliances with Stainless Steel before too long! Counter tops are a teal blue Corian that I would love to eventually replace with light quartz. But all in good time. We are going to live with the appliances and counter tops for now.

UPDATE 7/24/23: Decided on Nutmeg Duraseal stain with 3 coats of Bona water based sealant. No orangey or pinky color at all! I couldn't be happier. They did an amazing job. Walls are Ben Moore Ballet White and trim is Ben Moore Dove White. Didn't paint cabinets so just tried best to match trim to the existing cabinets. I am very pleased with the results.

Comments (7)