SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colleen100

Restored Timber Table

10 months ago

I am looking to update my table and chairs as we need a larger table for family holidays etc. Can my space pull this off? This table is so well made and would be 8ft with 8 white chairs. Would a dark too be best or the lighter top? My cabinets are cherrywood and countertops are dark.

Comments (71)

• 10 months ago

This would be with the extension.

• PRO
    10 months ago

Hi Colleen….

• Related Discussions

How to restore chrome table legs and formica top on retro table?

Q

Comments (4)
    I have the same table and to get rust off chrome legs i used vinegar mix w water and crunched up piece of foil shinny side up. rub off the rust w water vinegar mix. Then try some finr steel wool then use windex to shine legs. First can scrape some of paint off any spots on legs w steel wool. my legs look new. i also use windex to clean and shine formica. janice
    ...See More

Restoration Hardware Arles dining table?

Q

Comments (16)
    Following…anyone? Getting ready to pull the trigger on a black oak 108-152” extendable. Using in a formal dining room which will be used a handful of times per year. I found really good lookalike chairs from Wayfair that look very much like the Wexler barrelback chairs if anyone wants a link. RH chairs are back ordered until July or august!
    ...See More

Restoring Wooden Timber Windows Advice Needed!

Q

Comments (3)
    Good luck. I had wood windows on my 26 year old home and was just worn out by the constant maintenance of them. I literally rebuilt the bottom half of a double-hung, it was many many hours of work. 2 years later, I realized it was going to need more work as the moisture was just impossible to keep out of the window on that side of the house. ( My house has no eave on the sides - if I ever built a new house I would insist on them everywhere). I recently had them all replaced with a high quality vinyl window and I am thrilled to not have to deal with window maintenance ever again.
    ...See More

Restoring an antique french inlay vanity table

Q

Comments (4)
    I would suggest having a furniture restorer handle it if it's not something you're familiar with doing.
    ...See More
  • 10 months ago

Julie :) hello …

• PRO
    10 months ago

Oh my what is the size you are wanting in this kitchen nook?…

• 10 months ago

I didn’t get the table today but the size would be 42x77 plus a 15in leaf. The space is 10x14.5. I downsized my thoughts to the 7ft from 8ft. We use the back slider a lot and didn’t want the obstacle of needing to scoot around chairs.

• PRO
    10 months ago

Will you be painting your kitchen cabinets?

• 10 months ago

My goal is to get a larger table for gatherings when we host, which is often.

• 10 months ago

I say yes we will be painting the cabinets but not now.

• 10 months ago

Julie, so much that needs to be done with this house and working on what we need more in order (this is my husband speaking) LOL.

• PRO
    10 months ago

I would say painting those cabinets is a priority before purchasing any furniture..it will look completely different in a white kitchen! If you decide on a new table I would pick very light stain nothing dark. It is still a kitchen nook so don’t make that table too big..you need to get around to that slider…have you ever considered a round table for eight?

• 10 months ago

Julie, I appreciate your feedback. My gut says keep it light in color also especially as I want to paint cabinets. Initially I went dark and realize it’s way too dark after the comments rolled in.. I never did consider a round table. I need to find a way to add more seats tho for holidays and can’t see adding onto a round table.

• PRO
    10 months ago

With a round and a pedestal you have no table legs so it is easy to pop in a extra folding chair…mine is 58” round and we can seat 6 on a daily basis and add two when needed for 8…with your size space it really is limited without it looking squeezed in and hard to move around it….you could have smaller round with a leaf can really work well it will turn into a oval to seat more.

• 10 months ago

Hmm interesting! So suggesting a smaller than 58” with a leaf. I would need seating for 10-12. I assume 12 would be right even with the rectangular table. I like a pedestal table idea.

• 10 months ago

Can you share your table picture? I’ll consider the painting these cabinets before other changes. Your right again!

• PRO
    10 months ago

🤗 this is basically 11’x13. And the width at 13’ includes a traffic area from my utility hallway.

• 10 months ago

That picture so speaks to me. I absolutely love it but I need to fit too many people for this style, right? My max would be 12 :(

• 10 months ago

I’m loving your floors!!!!

• 10 months ago

I have a 60" round with 2 leaf extensions so the table can expand to 96". I can certainly seat 10 and maybe 12. IDK if I've ever tried but maybe when I first got it bc I have 4 extra chairs in my attic haha

Dining Room · More Info

• PRO
    10 months ago

Colleen Thank you…..I think your nook is too small to try and fit 12 people at anytime….for those big gatherings an extra table Folding type with easy to store folding chairs should be brought into the LR to seat 4 extra…max would be 8-10 in your nook…you do have seating at the island too…round works nice in tighter spaces and one that a leaf or two can be added makes a big oval…do you have a basement for storing extra chairs not used every day?

• 10 months ago

So the table we have now we can fit 10 with an extra table as lunged to it and 12 is tight. So, I have a large garage detached right outside kitchen sliding doors and can easily store chairs there. I know this is just informational right now especially if I do cabinets first, but what size do you recommend in a round table? 58 inches with a a leaf?

• 10 months ago

That should have read “Fit 10 with a small drop leaf table aligned to end”.

• PRO
    10 months ago

Random question do you use your island a lot?

• 10 months ago

Yes

• 10 months ago

Whatcha thinking?

• 10 months ago

58 in would fit the space with the chairs but might be a tiny bit close to island and door.

• 10 months ago

All depends on the chairs and I love the parson chairs.

• PRO
    10 months ago

Ok was thinking it could be removed and you could turn it opposite direction and add a big farm table…you would have a very big dining area…if storage is needed could add a buffet.

• 10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

What about loss of countertop workspace if island was removed? Something that would certainly be needed when preparing all those large group gathering dinners….

• 10 months ago

I may be divorced if I go that route but I like your thinking 🤔

• 10 months ago

I need to keep the island (and my marriage) LOL!

• PRO
    10 months ago

My grandmother had it this way….she baked and cooked all the time….the large table was not only used for dinner parties..but used like a huge countertop when baking…was just a thought..very French!

• 10 months ago

Using the kitchen table is an idea but also very hard on the back - I’m not tall at 5’4” & leaning over a table doing food prep has zero appeal for me. Maybe that’s the reason kitchen islands became so popular!

• PRO
    10 months ago

Has never bothered me we set a lot of buffet style dinners on our large farmer table to feast on all day..the height is no issue..standing at the sink doing dishes that is a killer on my back!

• 10 months ago

I like this idea Julie. My husband thought a cool concept as well.

• PRO
    10 months ago

It would give a very big country kitchen and lots of room for a big family table..because your table would be turned the width of that area would handle a big buffet storage cabinet…something to think about and you could get that big table you wanted and keep it open for lots of seating everyday.

• 10 months ago

Hard to visualize flipping the table the other way. It would be a huge benefit with family holidays. I would imagine we have to me the chandelier (would consider something different) and the hutch would be on that bare wall where the bench is. Assuming we could do a 9 foot table in that space perhaps which is pretty nice.

• PRO
    10 months ago

Yes chandelier would need to be moved or add another chandelier the big table could handle two…I love the look!

• 10 months ago

I just have to figure how it would look and convince myself I can live without the island. So you would suggest table to the end of island closest to fridge?

• PRO
    10 months ago

physically it will fit wether use wise it will fit will be only figured out when you take paper and mark it out on the floor , 36" all around the table for chairs so put the pap[er down and see walkaround in the space keep track of how many times you walked on the paper that is how many times you will realize the table is too wide for sure. As for finish IMO a nice natural no stain will enhance the look of the wood FYI I design baking centers for clients all the time and thse center have 30" high counters just like a table . It makes more sense for pastry , bread , pizza etc. So maybe get a good finish on the table and make use of it as mentioned . I really need more info and a to scale plan of the kitchen and DR.

• 10 months ago

Thank you Patricia! I appreciate it and would use the paper if we did decide to do this. It’s a big change and have to figure out if we can live without the island.

• 10 months ago

Update: the family thinks it isn’t the best idea having the kitchen table somewhat in the kitchen area. Funny as that’s where the table goes but they think odd to have a large table enter the area where the island sits. I’m still liking the idea as well the round table option. All good suggestions!!

• 10 months ago

If you did take out the island then you’re also redoing the flooring unless you have lots of extra tile. And more flooring redo if that tile extends beyond kitchen & dining. Personally, I wouldn’t do it just to be able to host extended family dinners. I’m more focused on day to day living with immediate family needs.

• PRO
    10 months ago

Colleen I need you to post a layout of the kitchen dining area..measurements and placement of kitchen appliances..I am assuming the island just sits on top of the tile.

• 10 months ago

Looking closely, the tile is framed around the island, including space for stools? If the island sits on the tile & removed, would you mind the table straddling the 2 different tile layout patterns?

No DR in our small ranch house, 14x14 kitchen, cabs in L filling 2 walls, large non-expanding table in center that breaks all the rules for space around it, but I make it work (no chairs at ends) because I disliked a round table, I really missed the corners! The table in the kitchen works great for setting stuff down, cooling cookies/pies etc, but it’s not needed for prep, since there is lots of counter space. Note: tall chairs do inhibit it’s use somewhat, so test, test, test…move the island, put your existing table & chairs there, rent a large round table, live with each option for at least a week. Also, I tested by placing my folding sewing cutting boards on the previous table, similar to what has been suggested for your existing location - test that, too. Good Luck.

• 10 months ago

Julie I will get that to you! Beadsnsew, I would love to see your kitchen photo. Great suggestions. Thank you for the input. Yes the island has two stools and it does sit on a different pattern so that is something I’d have to be ok with.

• 10 months ago

Ok, here is my kitchen, designed reminiscent of my grandmothers, although I did forgo the hand pump 🙂. The table was hand made by a craftsman that builds everything without power tools, there are no nails or screws.

• 10 months ago

I love it!! Super cozy and inviting :)

• 10 months ago

Thank you Colleen! I feel lucky to have it & enjoy it, best thing…drawers!

• PRO
    8 months ago

Hi Colleen just checking in on you.

• 8 months ago

Thanks for the checkin! No table change sadly. I fear the larger table would make me happy for just holiday gatherings only, but would be not the best look for everyday living. Such great ideas but kept the table as is for now.