SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Living room design help

Kristen Hallock
10 months ago

I recently (like today!) got a new couch. Its a Natuzzi Editions Autentico sectional. I love it, it has a 70s vibe. But I need help tying the room together.

My room is a sunken room and the photo looks like the couch is small in the space, but it really doesnt feel that way in person. People might suggest rearranging the furniture, but I tried it multiple ways with my old couches and having it in the corner the way it is works best for us. Its an odd shaped room and the sunken steps make it harder to arrange it in a way that works.

I have 2 cats and a large chocolate Labrador retriever so keep that in mind. (i.e no white rugs 😂)

1. Rug - I think I want a new rug. I am not loving this salmon colored one I have had for 15 years or so. I found one on Pottery Barn thats on sale that I like. https://www.potterybarn.com/products/finn-hand-knotted-rug-blue-multi/?pkey=s~finn~7

I need a rug that doesnt have a looped pile - my cats will go to town on that with their claws.

2. Coffee Table - the one i have now is a cherry craftsman style. I like it but its too high (21") and the couch seat is only 17.5", so its awkward. I think maybe a shorter table and something with less chunky legs (maybe metal legs?)

3. Throw pillows - The couch didnt come with any. I am awful at picking things like this out. Ideas? I'm guessing its going to depend on the rug I pick.

4. I could really use help with arranging my wall art/photos. I have tons of photos in frames that are sitting in closets so if someone can suggest where to put stuff and how to arrange frame sizes, I am all ears!

5. What to do in corner to the left of the fireplace - i usually have a large plant selection there but since its summer I have moved most things out to the screened in porch. I have some larger plants there still. I could fit a chair. But i usually put my Christmas tree there in December.

I know my fireplace is ugly. But I need to buy a new gas insert and i dont want to change the tile and then have to redo everything once I save up for the new fireplace insert. I am open to cheap fixes though - like maybe paint the mantel?

Comments (48)

• ilikefriday
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Can the tv go over the fireplace? If you are willing to move the tv, that would influence art placement. I suggest a round coffee table. What are the sizes of your framed photos? The style and color of the sofa are fabulous.

• kl23
    10 months ago

Nice sofa. Looks cuddly. Love the color.

• Related Discussions

Living room design help

Q

Comments (0)
    i wanted to get some help on the placement of the furniture , focal point ( confused if it should be the wall or big windows ) and also the color flow. I have orderEd the blue sofa shown in pic , all the photos ik the room are staging pieces. Wanted help to Understand what should be the other furnitures in the living room conversation area as well as the colors. FYI, the curtains are grey
    ...See More

Living room design help

Q

Comments (4)
    This is a great room. Although there might be a slew of suggestions about new furniture and placement of pieces, I think you should feel good about the way it looks. I'd add a potted tree somewhere near the doors to outside. I would also remove everything from the shelf under the horse pic and from the shelves to the right of the TV and get some bolder, more visually impactive objects to place there that have earth tones in them to relate to the colors in the sofa. Perhaps some large pottery items or nice handwoven bowls.
    ...See More

living room design help.

Q

Comments (6)
    Nope .........that one picture will not do. Turn the camera sideways and take pictures from 4 different corners of the room.
    ...See More

Florida beach house living room design help

Q

Comments (23)
    I think this rug could work well for you, with your Coastal vibe - plus the tile. This rug has some light blues in the color - but the design of the rug comes across as a neutral, overall - and is very versatile. Doesn’t lock you into any particular color scheme. And it is casual, yet has a certain understated elegance, I think. You can dress it up or dress it down. I tried to get a visual of the rug on your actual tile, but the visual is not doing the rug justice; although hopefully might give you a bit of an idea of how it works with the tile. https://www.rugs-direct.com/Details/ChrisLovesJuliaxLoloi-Chris-CHR01/146463/235300
    ...See More
  • Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I'll have to think about moving the TV. I'm worried I wouldnt like it up so high. Wish there was a way to try it out without having to mount it.

I'll try to find a round table I like.

I have tons of frames and I would have to inventory it all, but definitely enough to make some kind of gallery wall.

• hazwe
    10 months ago

I see you Shutterfly 😊

You might consider putting some of your photographs into one of their collages. I did the Moon ''n Stars canvas 36x48 navy background. 18 photos. Any smaller and the photos wouldn't be large enough to be meaningful. You can change the text or leave it blank. From a distance it looks like art.

Unrelated, I agree TV over fireplace is too high.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Ha ha! I was sitting here thinking "how does this person know I use shutterfly?" LOL. I thought you might be a stalker. But then I realized I have the envelope sitting out on the coffee table! I will look at a collage there. I did one for my trip to Ireland with my daughter. I ordered a poster and havent done anything with it.

• hazwe
    10 months ago

😂 I know the feeling.

Just an FYI on the paper collages, I discovered that the print/photo n their Premium Wall Posters is superior to their (basic) Collage Posters.

• elcieg
    10 months ago

Bunch the frames over the mantel. They will look more cohesive. I suggest with the blue sectional you paint the fireplace surround white. As is, the wood looks very yellow. Mirror is only reflecting the fan.

New Rug...link to show the entire rug. I like the gray tone better with the sofa and the walls.

https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/ancient-boundaries-aquilla-aqu-02-smoke-multi-area-rug

• M M
    10 months ago

Hi to me your coffee table looks too small for the couch, why not move it to the corner by the fireplace and put a lovely big lamp and style it with a few books etc. I would then get a round oversized ottoman for in front of your sofa in an ecru/oatmeal linen/hessian. Keep your rug it’s nice. I would maybe get a nice throw rather than lots of cushions as your sofa as it speaks volumes by itself. And from a viewing point of vie, tv is fine where it is. Get a nice overmantel mirror or large piece of art for over the fireplace. A touch of blue China jar/ porcelain might suit the look also.

• M M
    10 months ago

Ps. You can also paint the coffee table too 🤗

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

You think the table is too small? My thought was that it was too big. Its way taller than the seat of the couch by at least 3". and it extends past the couch.

The table is solid cherry, so I'm definitely not painting it. I love the wood color.

I am open to painting the fireplace mantel. I've wanted to do that for awhile.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I have a large mirror over the mantel already?

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you. I see what you mean about the coffee table. Its actually a nice solid cherry table, but now that this sectional has a wide seat base, i can see how the coffee table looks small. Someone else suggested a round table. I personally like a table I can rest my feet on, so square seems like it would work better for me. I cannot do a glass table though. I'm not that clean and it would be covered with fingerprints/cat paw prints, etc... on a daily basis.

I like your idea about the mirror and sconces and I can do that myself and I have things I could put there.

I also like the idea of the lamp, but are you saying to move the sectional out from the short wall? or from the wall with the windows? I think you mean the short wall. I can certainly try that. I do hate how that corner of the room is dark. I just worry about how it will look with the stair down and then this small empty space behind the couch. But it costs nothing to try that out.

That rug is probably 14 years old or so. I am up for something new. I like the rug I linked in the original post. But I'm open to advice on that. The rest of my house is all open downstairs and more "warm" tones and lots of wood. so I think a grey rug, like someone else suggested wouldnt match the best.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 months ago

There are tables made that slide over the top of low ottomans giving you the best of both worlds.

I know that Ashley Furniture sells some of them.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I worry that my Labrador would think a large ottoman is her new bed. LOL.

I used to have long curtains but hated them. I feel like they make my windows look smaller and the room darker. They look great in magazines because the windows are large, but my windows are not that tall. Plus I found the curtains getting covered in animal hair, it was just a lot of work to keep them clean. So I switched them out for wooden blinds instead

• Kim H
    10 months ago

Congrats on your new sofa! It looks great. The rug that you are looking at is super similar to the one that you have and I think having one with a center medallion would drive me crazy with a sectional since I would want it centered all the time. I like a more geometric rug with that style of couch. Here's a few that I was playing with on the Rugs USA website just to give you an idea of different styles. Do you like any of these?

After you pick out a rug then you can get pillow and/or throw for the couch that coordinate

• kl23
    10 months ago

@Kristen Hallock what do you think about moving the new sectional closer to the fireplace and TV? You could see the TV better, and when you use the fire, it might seem cozier. I think it would maybe be enough if you could line up the back of the sectional with the side of the window closest to your half wall. Maybe?

You may be wondering what you would do with the space between the back of the sectional and the half wall. Maybe a nice looking storage unit placed either along the half wall or the back of the sectional, like shelves or a console table. Or if you had more room, a bigger table with a couple of stools set behind the sectional you could eat on while you watched a movie, or had nibbles on for a gathering. Or a long console to set drinks while you watch TV. Whatever interests you, I'd make it about 2/3 to 3/4 the length of the back of the sectional.

Regardless, I like the idea of a floor lamp in that corner for light. Something with a heavy base so an excited Labrador won't knock it over. 

Hey, wait… What would it look like to run a line of LED lights along the top of the half wall? Maybe under a line of moulding to give it a crisp look? Pros? What do you think? Dumb idea or easy way to get light back there that won't get knocked over?

• kl23
    10 months ago

This was a fun watch:

https://youtu.be/vozrDybVCrU

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I'll try moving the sectional towards the fireplace. I have tried that before with my old sectional, and didnt love it. But I can try again. It just seemed like the space behind the couch wasnt big enough to do anything with and it became wasted space? My teens are not really into change and dont like to try different set ups. But I am game to try things that are free and arent going to cost me money if i decide its not for me! So I will do that this weekend.

I'm not a big fan of LED strip lighting. It reminds me too much of my 15 year old sons room. lol.

I dont think my dog will knock over a lamp. But her tail will clear a coffee table, if you know what I mean.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

Love the new sectional. If you center the sectional between the windows then the TV can be on the wall to the right behind the stair wall and won't dominate the space visually. And you'll have a proper fireplace wall as well. The space behind sofa, plant stand in the window.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I'll try that too. I do not like the corner TV stand. I wanted to add that we dont really use the fireplace ever. Its a gas fireplace and it doesnt let off any heat. I'm hoping to replace it some day, but baby steps...

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Ok. I moved the couch and repositioned the TV. I have a grey bookshelf that I could put against the 1/2 wall behind the couch. I’ll buy a new TV stand if I decide to keep this layout. What do you think?

• Kim H
    10 months ago

How does that feel to you? I like it pulled away from that wall but it might now be too close to the fireplace. Could you move it so that the back of the couch starts in the middle of the window?

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I guess it was close to the fireplace. But I don’t want the area behind the couch to be unusable either. I moved it back a bit. What do you think? When I get a new rug do you think I should get a smaller size? The current one is 9x12. I could also go 10x14 to cover more space behind the couch.

• kl23
    10 months ago

Oh my gosh, I love it! What a difference! Well that teaches me a lesson for my own living room. That area behind the sectional is definitely usable. I gave you a few suggestions. Do none of them seem of interest?

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I like your ideas. I probably wouldn’t put a table with stools just because I have a kitchen table + 6 chairs on the other side of that half wall. But a console table or bookshelf sound great. I’m just trying to avoid buying lots of new stuff (I’m not doing a very good job!) I have a bookshelf I think will work well but I need my sons help to move it from upstairs and he’s got a friend over right now but I’m sure he’ll help me tomorrow.

What do you think of the rug size? I already found a TV stand I like on Wayfair. Then I can start thinking of a square coffee table.

• kl23
    10 months ago

Rug size: I think it's either too big or too small. Maybe the thing to do is remove the current rug and pull painters tape along where you feel the rug should be. 

One option is to fill the room with a rug 6" from each wall. Another is to put just the front legs on the rug.

• Kim H
    10 months ago

That looks great! It gives you some breathing room around the couch. I noticed that you have based board heat on the window wall, to keep my couch from moving too close to the wall whenever one of the kids flopped on it, I (my dh) cut some 6"-8" pieces of a 2x4 and put them behind the legs of the couch.

It looks like the space behind the couch is still useable, it would be a good place for a bookshelf or some closed storage.

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

If you don't really use the fireplace, you could mount the TV above it and then add an accent chair with small drink table and tower lamp where TV is now. You can buy a mounting wall unit for TV over fireplace, and lets you pull TV forward and down to ideal viewing height. If you decide to keep TV in the corner maybe consider something nicer for over the fireplace, some pretty artwork. The mirror is okay but kind of boring now that I see that fabulous sectional :)

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I have pieces of wood like that too! My husband also cut some for our old sectional. I think I need a few more though to put behind each leg.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks! I do agree that the TV over the fireplace would free up some room but I don’t think it would be comfortable to look at. I will think about the artwork. I’m also looking for something for over my bed but haven’t seen anything that calls to me yet.

• tracefloyd
    10 months ago

The sofa is still too close to the fireplace by at least a foot, and please move it away from the wall about 6". That's what it looks like from photos anyway.

Don't buy anything new yet, don't worry about behind the sofa yet. As mentioned above, many fixes to finish off the room. But this new arrangement is amazing. Thanks for posting results in real time...so rewarding. I'm so glad for you!

Why a square coffee table? The one you have is nice and ties in the fireplace. Try rotating it 90 degrees.

Can you scootch the TV further away from the corner?

I like the rug, like I said don't buy anything. The warm and cool contrast between the rug and sofa is awesome yet neutral.

I don't think the fireplace is ugly, follow Bev's plan for that area, mirror, plant etc.

A pair of candle sconces since you don't have wiring. Get the floor lamp. There, that's only two things you need right now. I agree about cutting back on buying new stuff. Check out FB Marketplace or Craigslist, yard sales.

• kl23
    10 months ago

@Kristen Hallock I disagree with the assessment that the space between the half-cut wall and sectional isn't usable. It's very usable. I've given several ideas. At the least, a console would be nice there. A desk, even a shallow table. Or bookshelves if you still have and live books. I'm excited to see what it looks like with those grey bookshelves there. Hopefully your son will help with that today. ☺️

I do agree that there's no need to buy anything until you are comfortable with the sectional placement. Measuring before buying will be key to using that space behind the sectional.

Sofa Table · More Info

A Great Room for Living and Dining · More Info

Bay Front Cottage · More Info

Coastal Contemporary · More Info

Cambridge Retreat · More Info

Bella Fiore · More Info

• jackowskib
    10 months ago

Area in front of half wall I would consider a narrow console table and have doggie den underneath.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thanks. I didn’t mean the space was unusable. I meant that I wanted the sectional far enough away from the fireplace wall so that it would be wide enough to be usable. It definitely is now. I tried something like this with my old sectional and before that with a couch and loveseat but my family all vetoed it. This sectional is shorter though and so it works. I’ll post later when I get the chance to move the bookshelf

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I meant far enough away from the 1/2 wall

• Kim H
    10 months ago

Haha those wood pieces look exactly like what I have behind my couch. It's great that you already have stuff that you can move around, like the bookshelf. That'll be a great place for it. I think changing the orientation of the mirror and adding some sconces that was suggested before will look great too. Here are a couple battery operated ones that I saw on amazon. I'm not sure how much light they actually provide but it make a room feel cozier if you have several different light sources spread across the room.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I moved the bookshelf downstairs. I like it but I’d rather have something with closed doors. Maybe wood-toned. But this is a good placeholder I think. I’d probably also look for something around 36” tall. This grey bookshelf is 42” X 42” X 13.75”.

• kl23
    10 months ago

@Kristen Hallock it really helps to see how much space you have there and know the depth of the shelves. Is storage what you need most in there and not a place to set beverages or nibbles while watching TV? Actually, I think you can have both.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I have 49” between the wall and the back of the couch.

I’d probably use the coffee table for food and snacks. I don’t do much entertaining to be honest. This house is so strange with the layout. There isn’t much space for accent furniture, to have like a table with a vase or frame. So I’d probably just use it for that and storage underneath for books and art supplies? Or maybe a blanket for the couch?

• Kim H
    10 months ago

The bookshelf looks great back there but I get wanting to have closed storage. Something lower would like good too. What did you find for under the tv that you like?

• kl23
    10 months ago

@Kristen Hallock well then, you are kinda set! You can get used to having a bookshelf there for a bit. That will help you find just the right new one to go with the floor lamp back there if you still want it. I mean, it depends on whether it really matters now if that corner is just a tad darker. You may instead want lighting that is directed into the new storage unit so you can better see what's there. Maybe you will want a second Christmas tree in that corner. 🤔

I really like your sectional moved more to the middle of the room. It's amazing to me how it makes that space seem so grand and welcoming. Actually a bit surprising the difference a few feet can make, don't you think?  How does the family feel about it? Are you comfy with it yet? 

We haven't done any entertaining since 2019 and didn't do a lot before then. However, we like having a table behind the loveseat that faces the TV. We can have fondue there together while we watch a favorite movie. We can work on mindless projects there while watching a soccer match. Sometimes I just like a change of view while teleworking. The table is just the right height to set a mug on when we sit on the loveseat. The coffee table requires leaning forward, and I'm too lazy. ☺️

I am glad about this new arrangement for you. Now, do you think you want a runner between your short wall and the sectional? Or do you want bare floor there? Or are you going to look for an area rug that goes almost to the walls in all directions? What do the pros think? And if you get a runner and smaller area rug, should they match? Or should they be very different? This could be a very interesting discussion!  Can't wait to read what the pros say about one rug or two, matching or contrasting.

• Kristen Hallock
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Alright. I still havent gotten a new coffee table but now I am entertaining the idea of a leather ottoman. What do you think of this in place of the wooden coffee table? This circular ottoman is 40" across. The space between the sectional is 74" x 53". I need another adult's opinion. Thank you!

• PRO
    lisedv
    4 months ago

Here are my suggestions, I might be repeating some of the other comments above since I see you've received quite a few responses since I got around to your dilemma...

• kl23
    4 months ago

I am curious to know what others will think of a leather ottoman. I like leather better than fabric, because fabric runs the risk of being too much fabric with the sectional. Wood offers high contrast, leather offers some contrast, fabric would be too little contrast.

An ottoman offers extra occasional seating. Some people place a tray on an ottoman to help it multitask. I have an ottoman I use as a foot rest and love. I sometimes use my laptop on it, but I wouldn't place a tray of long-stemmed wine glasses on it. It's useful.

I like that you chose a contrasting warm colored leather. I don't feel comfortable with crumb-catching tufting, but don't let that stop you. Just get a little vacuum time in. And tufting is pretty.

I can't tell about the size. You'll want it to be proportional, but that's true of a coffee table too. You know, around 2/3 the length of the long side of the sectional should be about right I'm guessing.

Generally, I am pro-leather-ottoman. What are YOUR reasons for liking it? That will help all of us help you better.

• kl23
    4 months ago

Stupid me... You DID give dimensions. Having done the math, I say "close enough".

• Design Fan
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

A round leather ottoman can work if that is your preference.

A tray holding drinks on an ottoman while it’s being used by feet is an accident waiting to happen. You also don't want people putting drink glasses on the rug due to lack of table space.

Consider adding easily-moved occasional tables for drinks etc. when needed.

Consider an ottoman with storage or a table overlay on casters for flexibility.

• dianabythelocks
    4 months ago

Could we see up-to-date photos of your room, it's been several months? How does your family like it now?