SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Do you cook with bacon grease?

3katz4me
10 months ago

I was at the local meat market and was surprised to see they were selling containers of bacon grease. The guy said it was very popular. My grandmother saved bacon grease and cooked with it as did my mother to a lesser extent. I now have bacon grease chilling in the fridge and wondering if I should save it or toss it as I usually do.

Comments (49)

• jojoco
    10 months ago

Yes, on occasion. Great when cooking eggs in a skillet, or sauteeing veggies for soups. it seems to last for ages in the fridge.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 months ago
  • Related Discussions

Anyone ever injected a turkey with bacon grease? :)

Q

Comments (3)
    Of course it would be "safe" as long as you followed properly food handling and cooking techniques. How would it turn out? Probably fine. I've injected melted butter straight and mixed with fruit juices and herbs and spices. Same basic concept.
    ...See More

Can I feed worms bacon grease?

Q

Comments (9)
    Maybe in the future instead of us having to buy or make a compost bin, a tumbler bin, a worm farm, a biopod (for BSFL) it will all come in a matched harvest gold or avacado green kit. If we are interested in not wasting resourses of kitchen waste it leads to an interest in leaves, grass, cardboard, and even grease. In the olden days grease was valuable for making soap and some people still do. I can see not wanting even grease to go to waste. In the olden days I knew someone who kept the grease in a covered can and added a spoonful of it to their dogs dry food bowl to encourage a shinny coat.
    ...See More

Can I substitute bacon grease for suet in making suet cakes?

Q

Comments (5)
    i have googled use of bacon grease and also bing search and asked about it with a bunch of different audubon societys in different states. the majority of them recomend useing bacon grease as long as the birds have sufficient water supplys. I have used bacon grease for many years and have lots of birds but i do keep fresh water or heated water trays in winter. I usually mix equal parts of suet or lard or bacon grease or tallow or shortning with peanut butter and add some chopped nuts and then thicken it with cornmeal and rolled oats or grits or flour to make a paste. we don't eat a lot of bacon or fatty meats anymore but do save the fats and freeze them. and mix whatever i have on hand into the mix and the bacon grease is usually pretty well diluted down. Most say it attracts the woodpeckers and chickadees and nuthatches but i get almost every kind of bird i get eating mine. including the jays and juncos and finches ect.
    ...See More

Bacon Grease

Q

Comments (42)
    Potatoes fried in bacon grease is the best! (Maybe not healthy, but exceptionaly tasty.) Its a good flavor for poppng corn, however, there is a fine line between the grease smoking and not hot enough. Old fashioned white gravy can be made with bacon grease. In the fry pan, brown small bits of meat with a little bacon gease, then add more bacon grease and white flour, mix and add milk and contiune to stir until the mix is smooth. (The flour will tend to clump.) Heat to boiling, and then simmer until the gravy thickens. It requires stirring often to prevent sticking. Serve and add salt and pepper to taste. Some cooks prefer to add salt during the cooking period. If you do this, go light with the salt so that the comsumer can add salt to his taste. Once there is too much salt, it can not be saved.
    ...See More
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

No. But when I was taught to make schnitzel it was fried in rendered pork fat. Oh, but I do fry potatoes in goose or duck fat occasionally.

• Oakley
    10 months ago

Now I'm craving fried potatoes with diced onion and a little flour thrown in for good measure, and a ton of ketchup.

• amykath
    10 months ago

I like to use it when I am making refried beans. Another tip when using refried beans from a can... add a good amount of butter, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and salt to taste. I also sometimes use milk or half and half/whipping cream etc as well. Makes the refried beans taste super authentic!! I love Mexican food. I live in San Antonio and any little dive Mexican restaurant is pretty much hands down going to be fantastic! Texmex that is. 😉

• Kswl
    10 months ago

We don’t fry bacon; I either bake it in the oven on a rack fitted inside a half sheet pan lined with parchment (for a crowd) or cook the very thin precooked bacon in the microwave between sheets of paper toweling (for DH and me). No bacon fat to save in either case

But— when I use pancetta in a dish I usually cook that first and use the rendered fat to saute the soffritto or mirepoix for the rest of that dish. I don’t save it; if it’s not needed to fry fennel seeds or brown cannellini beans or the aromatics / base I mix it with liquid dish soap and pour it in a zip lock bag when cool and toss it.

• arcy_gw
    10 months ago

I dont' fry bacon either. I microwave in my special dish or bake. Always get all the fat collected and saved in the freezer. Love to add a bit to fresh green beans when cooking them.

• Springroz
    10 months ago

Always!! I add a tablespoon or so to anything I cook in olive oil. I usse a bit of it on the cast iron comal when I cook steaks. I do not refrigerate it, either. It collects in a french canning jar next to the stove.

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

Once recently on public transportation I was privy to a long repetitive story about a family fight that ensued when the matriarch died, over which sibling got her can of bacon grease.

• Irish2
    10 months ago

I bake my bacon on a large sheet pan with slotted drip pan vs frying. I don’t save the rendered fat. Growing up my mom did save the bacon grease in a coffee can. I don’t recall if she used it to cook with.

• OllieJane
    10 months ago

Yes! My hub eats bacon or sausage and scrambled eggs most mornings-and I've had a bacon grease ceramic jar/strainer sitting by my range forever. I grew up to keep bacon grease handy for various food items. My husband is from California and when we met, he'd never even had fried okra or fried squash-we only eat that a couple of times in the summer now. For years, we've worked out and tend to eat low carb most of the time, and use the bacon grease for green beans and collards greens each time. I fry a small piece of pork belly with our scrambled eggs also. Yep, we love our pork! LOL

eta: I'd say once a year, I empty out the whole storage container and start fresh. Never refrigerated, but I do clean the strainer part of the container about once a week, since we use it so much.

• Jilly
    10 months ago

This brings back good memories of my Mema’s cooking — she always kept bacon drippings in the kitchen for green beans, collard greens, fried potatoes, black-eyed peas, boiled cabbage, white gravy, big pots of pinto beans, cornbread, and so many other things. Good eating, I miss it.

I used to do the same, but as we’ve gotten older we don’t eat bacon often. When we do, I save the drippings in the ’fridge, usually to simmer with wide green beans or black-eyed peas.

ETA: Amy, thanks for those tips! I’ll try them.

• porkandham
    10 months ago

No. I don’t eat beef or pork. I keep the microwavable precooked bacon on hand for those who like it.

• Tina Marie
    10 months ago

No. Growing up my mom and grandmother used bacon grease in green beans, etc. They never fried veggies in it. I do like the taste of a bit of the bacon grease in green beans, but do not cook mine that way. We try to eat healthy and only eat bacon/sausage occasionally. I actually do not like greasy foods, so the thoughts of using bacon grease is not very appealing. I've never used any type of grease/oil, etc. to scramble eggs. My mom must have kept bacon grease in the fridge, as I don't recall seeing it; but my grandmother had a jar beside the stove : )

• DLM2000-GW
    10 months ago

Just made bacon this morning and I usually save a bit of the grease to put in our dog's food. My mom always did that with our Boston Terriers and said that's why they had shiny coats! No idea if that's true and our Daisy Mae only gets it on occasion so can't confirm. But no, I generally do not cook with bacon grease except on rare occasions.

Sub-topic - in reading a few of the different cooking methods above, I'm wondering if anyone else does the cold oven start method for bacon. I tried it a few years ago and never cook it any other way now. On a foil lined baking sheet (I don't even bother with a rack anymore) place the bacon into a cold oven, set temp to 425 or 450 (depending on oven and how quickly it pre-heats) and when it reaches temp the bacon is done. No flipping, no watching. I cook it outside because even with a great exhaust the house smells like bacon when I cook it indoors.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    10 months ago

Yes!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Hmm...maybe I'll scrape it into a container and keep it in the for a while and see if I find something to use it for. @Sherry8aNorthAL - what do you make with it? I don't fry mine either - bake on a sheet pan lined with foil - and there's plenty of grease left behind. I always put it in the fridge to harden for easier handling. I don't make it often but use it for broccoli salad and BLTs in the summer and German potato salad which I've only made a couple times.

I'm not sure what benefit the cold method would have as it sounds just like the preheat method. It seems like it would take longer and I usually just want to get it done. Takes about 20 minutes I think at 425 depending on thickness of bacon.

• DawnInCal
    10 months ago

We cook our bacon on racks placed inside cookie sheets and I do collect the rendered fat. Hubby makes refried beans from scratch and he uses the bacon fat to flavor the beans. The bacon grease is kept in a small container in the freezer and he just uses a spoon to scoop out what he needs for the making beans.

That cold bake method sounds very interesting. I am going to try that next time I make bacon!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 months ago

We used to save the grease in a can and use it to feed the birds in the winter. I don't recall cooking with bacon fat, but I do remember making pie crusts using lard.

• Irish2
    10 months ago

@Annie Deighnaugh Yes! My mom had lard on hand for making pie crusts.

• OllieJane
    10 months ago

We use lard to sear our steaks in the pan before going into the oven when we cook indoors. Then take out of oven and throw some butter in the pan and spoon over the steaks. We grill steaks outdoors in this time of year, most of the time. But, I actually like them seared inside better.

• jill302
    10 months ago

My grandma also cooked with bacon grease but usually only for green beans or bacon gravy. She would cook the bacon and use the drippings immediatly. She did keep the typical can of grease, but I never saw her use any of that grease. Not sure if it was used for cooking or to throw out.

• OllieJane
    10 months ago

jill, we do the exact same way on gravy-but rarely ever have it anymore. I mean, if you want biscuits and gravy-you have to use the bacon grease in your gravy!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 months ago

I usually save it and then I keep it for a long time. The refrigerator then throw it out. I usually can't bring myself to cook with it.

• pudgeder
    10 months ago

I'm from the South. I live in the South.

Of course I save & occasionally cook w/bacon grease.

• Bunny
    10 months ago

My mom always saved bacon fat in a jar in the fridge and I continue with that tradition. It's especially good if you include the little browned bits left behind. Occasionally I throw it out and start over. It can bring a lovely smoky bacon flavor if used sparingly. A little goes a long way.

• OutsidePlaying
    10 months ago

I do on occasion. There are just certain things that are better with bacon grease than anything else. I always use it when making a roux for gumbo for example. I don’t make gumbo that often anymore for just the two of us but still it is so good. A tablespoon or 2 mixed with regular oil adds the best flavor for fried okra, squash, green beans, or hot salad dressing. I grill okra or squash more than I fry it, but now and then I still need to make a pan of the fried stuff.

Amy, that is a great tip for refried beans. Thanks!

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    10 months ago

Never have I ever.

Same for my mother.

My grandmother was raised with different traditions that did not include cooking with bacon grease.

• barncatz
    10 months ago

I regret to say that I had to google 'cooking green beans with bacon grease'.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 months ago

Yes. For baked beans, along withn the bacon. Not the sme without.

• HU-163897337
    10 months ago

I dont use any kind of oil in baked beans.

• texanjana
    10 months ago

No, but my mom and both of my grandmothers did. None of them ever refrigerated it. I’m southern y'all. A little does add incredible flavor to many foods.

• Oakley
    10 months ago

Kswl, I love pre-cooked bacon for a quick BLT sandwich. It has to be thin though.

If you're in a hurry and use home or store bought canned green beans and don't have bacon grease, someone told me to squirt ketchup while they're heating to a boil, then turning off. The taste is amazing.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 months ago

Of course we cooked with bacon fat when we made sutni szalonna (SHUT-ni SUL-ah-nah)...with fresh garden veggies, just a little bit of heaven on earth!

https://www.familycookbookproject.com/recipe/2837829/sutni-szalonna--hungarian-for-bacon.html

• rich69b
    10 months ago

I never knew about using bacon grease until a year or two ago when my friend shared with me to use it when cooking eggs. So I tried it and it was better than olive oil, I guess. I only buy bacon once or twice a year coz my hubby will cook it every time he sees it.

Last time we had bacon, I used the air fryer and it turned out really good! And so easy to pour the grease into a jar.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 months ago

If I cooked/ate bacon, I'd save the fat because it's delicious. It's really good for making crispy cornbread and fried green tomatoes - fried okra too 😃

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 months ago

You just don't want to save it for too long because like other oils, it can go rancid, and rancid oils aren't good for you nor do they taste good.

• maire_cate
    10 months ago

I had to laugh at Pal's comment about overhearing the argument over who got the matriarch's can of grease. My mother always kept a small container of grease on top of her range and used it when cooking eggs or beans. My siblings and I had to empty her apartment after she died and there was a discussion as to whether anyone wanted the pitted, dented aluminum container. None of us did but I did feel rather sad when I discarded it.

The only time I cook with bacon fat is when making bacon and sunny side up eggs. I use 2 separate skillets and add a little of the bacon grease to the eggs, the rest goes into an empty can which is stored in the freezer until full and then throw out.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    10 months ago

I store mine in the fridge.

• nicole___
    10 months ago

Last night I was watching Chef Jamie Oliver. He made a hot salad dressing with bacon grease. My mother kept a jar of it in the frig, even put it on the dogs food. She was told by a breeder it makes the dogs coat shiny. Don't know if that's an old wives tale or not...

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 months ago

I think fats in general are supposed to give furry pets a shinier coat.

And no leaving grease out on the counter here, where the ambient temps in our house this time of year hover around 78/79F - maybe a bit higher in the kitchen.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 months ago

I rarely eat bacon, but I do keep a few slices in the freezer to have for certain dishes. One is when I crave green beans the way my grandmother made them - cooked with onions and bacon until they were melt in the mouth tender. She had a canister pretty much the same as the one maire_cate showed ^^

• barncatz
    10 months ago

OK, @raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio. Everyone else on this thread knows what you are talking about, I bet, but not me. Could you provide a quick how-to cook of those green beans? Thanks much.

• Gargamel
    10 months ago

Yes - yum - on the outside of grilled cheese

• teeda
    10 months ago

I think I may have added bacon grease to dishes in the past, but I have never saved bacon grease for cooking. Nor did my mother or grandmothers. So I assume their mothers did not either. But I don't doubt it adds amazing flavor to may dishes! I'm from New England, if that matters. Salt pork, on the other hand, was used in several of my grandmother's dishes.

• palimpsest
    10 months ago

I remember the day, pretty much, that my mother made fried potatoes with 100% new oil only, with no bacon grease added, and saying "These don't really taste like anything". It was a short lived adjustment really (and probably when I was in grade school) , but the difference was striking, the first couple of times.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 months ago

barncatz, there is no real secret to it. Fresh green beans (my grandmother and mother always went to a particular farm stand to get the variety called ' Greasy' (really, that's the name!)

Bacon - cooked a little to release some of the fat, but not crisp, and then diced. A large yellow onion, diced and cooked in the bacon fat and a little butter until just starting to caramelize. Salt and black pepper to taste - put all in a heavy covered pot (or slow cooker) and cook at a really slow simmer for an hour or two, until the fat is rendered from the bacon bits, and the onions and beans are super soft.

Not dietician approved!

• Feathers11
    10 months ago

When I was young, my dad used bacon grease to pop popcorn.

I enjoy bacon but only cook it a few times a year, in the oven. I save a bit of the grease, keep it in the refrigerator, forget to use it, and end up throwing it away. But this thread has me craving fried okra now!

• maire_cate
    10 months ago

DH makes German potato salad a few times a year and it just wouldn't be the same without bacon and the drippings.