SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coray

Looking for help with HVAC issues….we need a guru!

coray
10 months ago

We’ve got a problem that is driving me batty. We live in the NC mountains, where winter air is super dry, but summers, despite cool air, are very humid. Ours is not a partly occupied vacay house, but our full-time home; we use our AC in summers, and gas heat (LP) in winters, accented by wood fires. The house was built/completed in 2005, and we purchased it in late summer of 2016; most of the equipment is original but in good working order, we’re told. Here’s our issue: a couple of years ago, in between AC and heating season, I started to notice a musty odor coming from one of the returns, but once the heat started running regularly it seemed to go away. Last fall, not immediately when we first turned to heat, but rather 2-3 weeks later, I noticed that now a strong, musty odor came directly from the vents, which had never happened before. We thought that after running the heat for a while it would stop, but it didn’t. I must have good olfactory senses, because it really bothers me. (Many summer homes here smell very musty because houses either don’t have AC, or people just don’t use it because of our normally cool temps in summer. I, however, am very aware of humidity and close all windows when it gets humid and turn on AC, esp. to remove humidity from the house.) We called HVAC service folks to check everything thoroughly and were told that everything was in good working order, but they did clean coils etc and performed routine maintenance. At the same time we had a different company come to clean and disinfect the ducting; we were told things looked good and the ducts were not very dirty at all. None of this had made a dang bit of difference, and the odor is just blowing through the house each time the unit engages…it is maddening to me and I feel that it will just get worse, new sofas, chairs and everything will start to reek. What do we do now??? We have never, ever had a musty house, and I’m obviously very concerned. DH smells it too, but says it doesn’t really bother him…ridiculous! (I think he just doesn’t want to deal because he has no idea what to do now and the service guys said everything was good.) I tried to do some research online, but the only things I found were A. either the possibility of a clogged outlet pipe if there water around the unit (DH says no), or B. that the unit is either oversized or undersized for our house. I have no specs, but our house is just under 5000 sf and we have one large unit for upstairs and downstairs. (The lower level is a walkout/daylight basement.) I am very much hoping that there is some HVAC genius on HOUZZ who can help us here….no one I’ve spoken to has had any ideas as to what could be going on. I know this is not normal and there MUST be a reason, esp since this issue only started a while ago.
Sorry for my long-winded post, but I’m pretty desperate.😭)

Comments (10)