SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicki_cee

Layout help for living+dining room! Advice on sofa shape and placement

Vicki Cee
10 months ago

Hello!

We live in a small European apartment in the city, and want to fit a dining table in our living room, but struggling with placement. We currently already have a dining table that lives in the guest room / office. But it's not ideal for entertaining (or when we have overnight guests).

We are shopping for a new sofa, and would most likely get an IKEA Vimle 3-seater + ottoman, or the Vimle L-shaped sofa. I feel the 3-seater + ottoman would fit better, even though it takes up more space.

We use a projector instead of a TV and that limits our sofa placement a bit.

Other than the sofa + dining table, we also have a half-height cabinet that houses our cat litter robot. It needs to stay in this room, and is shown by the brown rectangle. It can be moved to any corner.

We have other shelves and coffee table etc in the room as well, but I've removed them from the floorplan. The projector itself can be placed almost anywhere since it can be adjusted. It just needs to face one of the two plain walls.

Photo 1: our curent layout (minus carpet + coffee table + other movable bits and bobs

Photo 2-4: some variations I tried out. The black square is the dining table

What shape sofa should we get, and where should we place it to allow for a dining table?? Any help appreciated!

Comment (1)