SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_johnson155

Installing an exterior security camera "near" a light fixture (stucco)

Dave Johnson
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

We have an exterior light fixture on our house that I'd like to tap into to install a hardwired security camera near it (maybe 12" above it). The light is switched, but we leave the switch always on since the fixture has dusk to dawn bulbs.

My main question is how to handle that 12" of wiring. Ideally I'd like to run it inside the wall, rather than have romex (or some outdoor-safe equivalent) visible on the stucco. I've done similar things inside (installed a new outlet 4 feet above an existing one, for a wall-mounted TV). But these inside installs were done on hollow walls with drywall finish... fishing the romex was cake. This exterior wall is stucco and presumably has insulation in it, I have not dealt with this before (though I do have some masonry bits). Image below. How hard would it be to fish a little bit of romex to a new hole 12" above the hole behind the existing fixture? Any gotchas or general guidance? House was built in late 90s in Bay Area CA, if that helps with guessing what the structure underneath the stucco is like.

Also, from an electrical standpoint, do I need to install any sort of j-box in the wall, or is it safe to just daisy chain between the two fixtures (which each presumably have their own built-in j-boxes around the wire connections). I presume this is ok.

Comments (6)