SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_s106

Kitchen remodel (35 year old house)

Samayal Arai
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

I have a fairly large kitchen but with quite a few load bearing wall, staircase and other constraints. It all started with wanting a good hood above the range but that meant new cabinets and countertops. If I am spending on cabinets and countertops, I wanted a better design and a more functional kitchen. I have 2 designs - 1 that works with the existing walls, (Option #5) 1 that needs a wall to be removed (to open up the kitchen to the dining room and to part of the living room) (Option # 6). Wondering if the Option 6 is worth the extra expense of opening the kitchen up? Also would like a better island design for Option 6. Any feedback on the walk in pantry? ANy other comments? Thanks much!

• What are your goals? E.g., more counter space, more storage, seating in the kitchen (island? peninsula? table?), etc. ----> Getting the range out of the island with a good hood, modernizing the kitchen, using the space I have effectively, opening it up if possible.
  • What is your family composition? Adults? Children? Age ranges of children? Current? Future?

---> 2 adults, 2 kids, (9 and 13), Visiting mom uses the family room as her room with a daybed, wee remodeled the powder room to a 3/4 with shower.

• How many kitchen workers are there? Cook(s)? Cleanup? Helpers? Now? Future? (E.g., if you have young children, plan for them to be helping out very, very soon as you begin to teach them to help out and, eventually, cook. Also, plan for them as teens for "sizing" since that will also arrive much sooner than you think!)

---> 1-4 people using the kitchen at any time

• Do you or anyone in your home cook? (No, this is not a facetious question. Some people do not cook and their kitchen is a show place only. If that is what works for you & your family, that's fine! We just need to know that.)

-----> We cook a lot, range mostly, instapot a lot, oven rarely but use the breadproof function daily , small appliances (sandwich maker a lot), microwave for heating only

• How do you see your kitchen used?
    -- Just for cooking/cleaning up?
    -- Children doing homework while you cook?
    -- Party place?
    All of the above. Not so much party place as we have other areas but guests do wind up in the kitchen.
  • Do you entertain a lot? If so, formal? Informal?

---> Frequently - almost always informal.

• Do you want your kitchen to be a "hang out" place? Parties only? Everyday?

----> it ends being a hangout place everyday because the kids need my help while I am cooking.

• Do you have a separate DR? Do you use it frequently? Infrequently? If infrequently, do you want to begin using it more frequently (e.g., for daily/nightly family meals)?

-----> we do have a dining room that we use daily.

• Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? Close it up?

----------> like to open it up to dining room if possible.

• Do you plan to merge two rooms/areas (e.g., Nook and Kitchen into a Kitchen only)

----> yes - want to incorporate nook into kitchen.

• Do you have a basement under the Kitchen space? Crawl space? Slab?

------> crawl space under kitchen

• Where are you flexible?
    -- Can windows or doorways change size? -----> I am open to kitchen door becoming a single door or a window and dining room window becoming a door. I like the current greenhouse style kitchen window and will retain it.
    -- Can windows or doorways be moved or eliminated? -----> possibly
    -- Can windows be raised/lowered? -------> possibly
    -- Does the sink have to be centered under a window? ------> functionality is more important as the side away from the cooking zone is sort of dead space and can be shorter.
    -- Does it have to be under a window at all? (Sinks under windows are an old paradigm left over from the pre-Dishwasher days. Today, we spend far, far less time cleaning up; in fact, the majority of our time spent working in the Kitchen today is spent prepping.) ------>

Kitchen remodel · More Info

Comments (54)