SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_138149670

Advice on renovating a tiny 8'9 x 8'3 kitchen in a 150 year old home!

Everton Media
3 years ago

Hi HOUZZ. I have a 150 year old home and am looking at renovating my kitchen in the near future. The kitchen is a tiny 8'9 x 8'3. I have two routes in mind:

Non-Permit Required Route: Refinish cabinets and paint them white, add white subway tile backsplash, purchase a narrower 24" tall refrigerator to replace current 30" one, replace current 30" range with a smaller 24" cooktop/range, replace current dishwasher with a narrower 18" one and purchase a newer drop leaf island to replace the one I have.

Permit Route: Remove soffits and have cabinets go to the ceilings (ceiling height is 9 ft), tear down northeast kitchen wall and place an island with a support beam (removing hallway and making that a part of the kitchen) adding two or three swivel seats on the north side of the island, tear down east wall and make the kitchen 10'2 x 8'3 and the dining room 12'6 x 9'4, purchase an induction cooktop and installing a duct range hood, replace appliances with narrow appliances and add more counter space and cabinets.

I plan on speaking to a kitchen designer soon, but wanted some input from the HOUZZ community! Thanks in advance for any input!

Comments (41)