SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenncen

Island Quartzite - Cut too short & now have no overhang. What to do?

Jennifer Cenedella
11 months ago

Our Kitchen island plans called for a 96" long by 69" depth island, including 16" overhang for counter stools. It was to have a waterfall on the dining room side that would be 36" H x 69" L. We specifically chose a stone for this size and plan. It happened to be an Exotic Quartzite too - Tempest Blue 133" L which just barely fit the length we needed - - 96" L of island top plus 36" H of waterfall = 132" total.

Our fabricator and builder made a huge horrible mistake and cut off all of the overhang. They fabricated the quartzite to fit ONLY on top of the cabinetry (96x54) and waterfalled down from there. See photo. Yes, I cried and had a sleepless night.

Our builder and fabricator have accepted responsibility, and said they would replace it at no charge of course, once we find another slab, and pay for plumber/electrician redos.

Two problems with this:

1) replacing it without damaging the existing glued cabinets is not guaranteed despite what my builder says, and,

2) I have called all over Colorado (where we are) and California, and scoured the internet looking for a slab long enough to replace this and cannot... yet. Most slabs are under 129" L in Blue Tempest. My fabricator says he called his contacts (probably the same 3 I called in Colorado). Our stone supplier doesn't have one coming in anytime that they can see in the next 6 months, which is how far out their inventory runs.

We need a Blue Tempest slab at least 132" Length x 70" Depth, 3 CM thick.

Options?

1. Wait for replacement and take our chances on our builder not damaging cabinets at time of replacement. How long will a replacement be to show up in the US - who knows? Our fabricator said he glued the pants on the quartzite to the cabinetry. Our builder claims his workers would do a surgical-type removal, but we've seen so many mistakes in the 2 years of this build that we don't trust his words. He said he won't pre-buy new cabinetry preemptively. If there's damage, cabinetry is 16 weeks out. Then what? That's 3 big risks to this option.

2. Add double island - good option. Not ideal not to sit at main island though which was our main desire. But would this be so bad?? We have 96" length x 30" width to work with, plus up to 45" walkway between.

3. Add second tier - lower tier but this would require a retrofit of newly installed cabinets with doors to be able to support the second tier. Risk to this option is alot of complexities which we don't trust our builder to do at this point.

4. Choose a different larger stone. Blanco Superiore is an option, but i am having a hard time making this choice to forego the Tempest Blue. Blanco Superiore would work with all of our design choices including Kitchen Tile and Perimeter gray Quartz, but it seems like a downgrade TO ME now, compared to the Templest Blue. It's an option though.

We don't want to add a higher tier, above main island. not an option

What would you choose to do and why? Any advice? Any suppliers who have a slab for me this large in Tempest Blue 3Cm? Would love any ideas, thoughts, photoshopped photos. Thanks in Advance.

Undecided in Colorado,

Jen

Wait for replacement and take chances on the 3 big risks
Add double island
Add second lower tier and retrofit the cabinetry for supports
Choose a different larger stone

Comments (48)