SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessy_mitcham

Edited w/*tidy angles* Open Concept Regrets - Help with layout/design!

Jessy M.
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

We recently built a home in the middle of the country on family property. At ~1400 sq ft, it's small, but beautifully built, and it's all we need for now.
With no experience in building, owning, or decorating a house prior to this, we chose the most open of all of the open concept floor plans. It's been challenging finding out the right furniture layout for this giant space. And then we went and put the front entry door smack dab in the middle of the living room.
From everything l've read about design, my options are fairly limited. I know a little about creating designated spaces, working with pathways, etc, but it's hard to apply those rules with this room layout. Any advice?

edit: We moved into this house with barely any furniture, NO decor, and hardly any money for home design. I’ve never put much effort into decorating our rentals over the years, and I’m proud of what I’ve done with the space

That being said, I’m not 100% happy with it and I’m making this post to get ideas about what others would do with this space, if anything.

My main issues are:

-No proper entryway, can’t figure out how to create a false one. The front door is our main entrance. The wicker shelf under the TV is my makeshift shoe cabinet that my children and husband find impossible to utilize

- i hope to get a more stylish, yet comfy couch in the future. We love the sectional aspect but I’m leaning towards a long couch and two armchairs

- i am dying to get some color on the walls, but I have no clue how to begin sectioning off the rooms, would i have to paint the whole thing one color?

- Idk what to do with the space where the two orange chairs are, nobody really sits there so it feels like wasted space.

Comments (27)