SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Major Change in Plan/Please Help w/ Layout

amck2
10 years ago

I posted recently seeking advice for a remodel when I planned to paint and reconfigure my current cabinets. But after a good deal of research and reflection, we've decided to replace all the perimeter cabinets and, possibly, the granite countertops.

The goals are to replace broken DF range w/ an induction model. Replace broken fridge & replace OTR MW w/ a proper venting hood.

I'd like to make better use of space by removing huge pantry that was hard to keep organized and access anything beyond the "front layer." Do not want another revolving lazy Susan. Would like vertical storage for sheet pans, muffin tins, cooling racks, etc.

Need better organization and access to spices. Need a spot for flour/sugar canisters & oils and vinegars. Need a new spot for a microwave.

Had a brief chance meeting w/ a KD we may engage. She said there is a chance we may be able to keep our granite countertops, even w/ cabinet changes (?) We like our countertops, but since that might not work, I am attaching 2 floor plans. One shows current countertop layout, the other w/out.

We are definitely keeping the island but will reface to coordinate w/ new cabs, adding panels and base trim.

More pics of our adjacent areas are on my original post (I've linked to this) but I am attaching a couple shots here to help you visualize the space.

We've had great luck w/ Omega/Dynasty painted cabs we installed at our lake place 7 yrs. ago, so are inclined to go that route again. I'm not locked into a hood style (under cab? mantel?) but it will not be a chimney hood.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer me for a new, more efficient (and prettier) layout. Thanks

A link to original post with more pics:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg030056512271.html

Comments (33)

• bellsmom
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi.
    I am so pleased you are free to redesign your cabinets!

My main computer is ailing and I am taking it to the "hospital" in an hour or so. In the meantime, I'm typing on a laptop but there is no photoshop installed on it. So no drawings or visualized ideas right now.

I do have some questions:
    Are you planning painted cabs or wood finish?
    Is the location of the island fixed or can it be moved?
    Is the idea of cabinets to the ceiling still an option?

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Bellsmom,

I am grateful that I can do this, and also filled with nervous anticipation.

I heard back from the person we hope to be our GC today & have a meeting with him here on the 29th. I'd like to have ideas to go over with him so he's in the best position to give an informed estimate.

The KD we worked with on our lake build several years ago married & left the area. We'll wait to see if our GC has a KD he works with before we commit to
    someone. Truth told, the nicest and most well-thought out kitchens I've seen that suit my taste have come from GW'ers, so I want to continue to learn from folks and get ideas here.

I'm planning on painted cabinets for the perimeter. A color I like from the Omega samples Is called Alma. It's creamy veering toward pale yellow with the slightest green undertone. I like how it works with the granite and the floors. It has a bit more warmth than white that seems to blend nicely with the muted tones in the adjacent rooms.

For the island, I'm liking a colored stain called Smokey Hills. It's deep grey with hints of dark green but the golden tones of the wood (my sample is on maple) really soften it so that it blends with the granite and wood floors. I think it's a nice rich color that won't look as bulky as an opaque dark color would. It also looks nice with the pewter hardware on the island pendant.

The island can be moved, but there's not much clearance on the seating side facing the dining room. The door to our basement is on that wall. But there is no plumbing or electric in it, so yes, we could move it.

Cabinets to the ceiling are now a definite. I was trying to work that in without them looking wonky or overbearing with my present cabs. It was hard to do with that heavy pantry piece that would have also have had to be built up.

Thanks for responding, and I hope your computer is back and running for you soon!

• Related Discussions

At wits end!! Please help w/ 1st floor layout plan -pic heavy

Q

Comments (49)
    See, I'd just tell my DH that he could enjoy the sunrise while he's doing the laundry rather than while he's making coffee! ;) I kind of like the look of latest rendition, but I'm not loving the function. Leaving the laundry in the MBR would kill it for me. I know you don't mind it, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be a sticking point for some potential buyer down the road. It would be for me. The issue raised earlier about kids having to come in the parents' room to do their laundry as they got older would be even stickier with the addition of another bedroom--i.e., room for a second kid with laundry needs. Could your stackable W/D fit in that closet area in the mudroom? Also, how will you use this desk? Will it become your home office space? If not, it seems like it would become a clutter magnet, ruining that nice view. I still prefer the rendition above where you reuse your sink and five-panel door. I think it makes the space far more useful in a house where useful space is at a premium.
    ...See More

Layout Help - U-Shape w/ Island - Plans almost finalized

Q

Comments (8)
    Some of this is personal taste and some is guidelines. I tend to do technical comments - any humor is incidental! Guidlines - I would allow 42" between sink and island and ref and island. If you get another size fridge, have kids, try to get past an open ref door or cabinet door, 3 feet is pretty small. On the other hand, you could allow a bit less room between cooktop and island. You must have fillers on both sides of the corner to avoid having doors and knobs get hung up on each other. Mixed in a bit with personal taste - be really sure you want the tall, deep cabinet beside the ref. I would like a tall, narrow cabinet in that position, but not a deep one. Why? You can't open a left or right swing door on that cabinet all the way because it will run into the counter or the ref. The last one to two feet of counter on the cooktop wall becomes unusable to a righty because a righty elbow will hit the cabinet door when closed. The counter will be blocked when that cabinet door is open. A narrow depth cabinet doesn't elimate all of those issues - it increases the usable counter. I like drawer base cabinets and I could get another foot of them if that cabinet wasn't quite as deep. Full depth also means you'll mostly be taking things from the appl garage with your left hand because it will be awkward to use your right. You could be a lefty and then it would work fine for you. The personal taste part is breaking up the depths a bit so there isn't a monolithic wall for very little storage space cost. I would also consider trading the refs - the big one by the clean up sink with the wine, and a ref drawer unit over by the cooktop or reversing the ref and the wine storage. If I'm getting a microwave meal from the ref and need to put in on a plate - I'm crossing through the cooks area to get a plate. Move the micro towards the ref - even if the ref moves. A micro is a shared use item and often the first cooking appliance a child is permitted to operate. Where you've placed it - it becomes exclusively the chefs or kids and spouse invade the chefs territory. And it would be problematic to open both the micro and the oven. I don't know how often that would happen, but I don't want to replace any appliance doors. If the ref stays where it is, move the prep sink out of the corner. With an sxs, the best landing area is behind you as you stand facing the open doors. You'd be dumping stuff into the sink or backing out (cause the aisle is so small) and placing stuff on the other side of the sink. I also like to have over-sprays on the counter instead of the floor. I would probably put the oven beside the cooktop, not under it. The oven would be a little higher and I see the contents without having to back up and bend over.
    ...See More

Layout down to the nitty gritty. No major changes please

Q

Comments (36)
    herbflavor, I hope your neighbour is okay! Yes this is our favourite of the two options listed at 11:40 (option a). It does require moving the existing window down 5 inches to the left which will add to the cost. However, I do like that everything is more spaced out so I am very glad you shared your comments about the space around the windows. I could consider bumping the regular oven or the microwave to the peninsula or elsewhere. However, the best spot for the steam oven is where it is due to the fact it has to be installed high up. I can't however, place the regular oven under the steam oven as it would take up a bit too much width for that run. Should I fuss with the oven locations more or be content that all the hot food appliances are together? Also, any thought on the open shelf vs the closed cupboard? If I keep it as an open shelf, what should I put on it? Thanks again for all your help. You advice has been very useful. sena01, Wow I bet your DW and your sister's is comfortable to load and unload. Ours will only be raised 3 inches, so will just be a little more comfortable than if it was not raised at all. I had not thought that we could further raise the DW to a higher level than the nearby sink, but I see that you did successfully. Thanks for sharing. Carol
    ...See More

Layout change, now where do I end the backsplash? Please HELP

Q

Comments (17)
    Joseph Corlett, LLC thanks for the advice! You and daisychain01 may be right. I do think that in such a small space stopping at the edge of the sill could keep the kitchen from looking like it's taking over the living room. d_gw I know, I've seen those dilemmas too! I appreciate the warning. I'm thinking it was the lighting, and the angle since the tile will of course be on the wall, not flat on the counter. I'll post a pic later of what it looks like under the window. I'm not actually trying to match the cabinets, but just have something that flows well together. The tile color is Riverwash so it can have subtle blue or green tinge mixed with a muddied gray depending on the light. The countertop has a little green in it, so I'm hoping that once I bring in my accessories it will be a good backdrop to pull it all together.
    ...See More
  • romy718
    10 years ago

Bump, I'm not one of the layout gurus but love your home.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 22:40

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, romy718. I stated most of my wants so people could have an idea of why we finally decided to go with new cabinets, but I didn't post expecting others to do all the work.

What I am hoping to get from here are suggestions from you all who aren't stuck with seeing my kitchen cabinet configuration in the way I am, after living with it for 12 years.

I would love to know what hood style you think fits, if I should do any glass - or part glass - on any cabinets. Since the Nespresso & Keurig are always out, should I try to style one area as a coffee bar?

Anything to get me thinking about how I should approach a redesign to suit this particular space & home will be appreciated.

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

Glad you are taking cabs to the ceiling.
    And I really like your color choices.
    Still computerless, so just thinking. . . .

1. What if you moved the fridge about 15" toward the sink and put in a pantry facing the adjoining room? A place for brooms and other such. Maybe with two narrow doors? It would be about 27" wide and 12-15" deep. I'd have adjustable shelves and plan where to hang broom and store ladder to reach tall upper cabs.

2. Where will you do most of your prepping? I imagine you do most between the sink and fridge now. Or maybe on the island?
    I'd like to see you have room to prep between the sink and the range. Currently the corner makes that a hard space to work in.

2. As I think you are planning, extend the cabs to the corner where the pantry was. Move the range toward the corner to make a better work area between range and sink, which is where most work happens. Sort of center the range on the cabinet run.

3. Consider a MW drawer on the island AND a prep sink. I personally would remove the susan there to make room for them. Drawers would be more useful. I think there would be room for 2 drawer stacks, a sink, a MW drawer, and a trash pull out. My island with MW drawer, trash drawer and prep sink is my favorite work area in the kitchen. In your house, I would MUCH prefer to do prep work on the island rather than facing a blank wall on the perimeter. (Important idea, that)
    And, of course, if you could make the island a bit longer, the prep area would be even better.

4. You want the prep sink accessible to the range and fridge. Then use your existing sink for cleanup. This would keep a lot of the mess of prepping out of line of vision for adjoining rooms.

5. Since I don't prep on the perimeter, I put in 15" deep upper cabs. They are WONDERFUL for storage and don't interfere with light prep work, but I would not want to do all prepping there. I think I would put 15" cabs on your sink wall if you won't do much prepping between sink and fridge. That would put that great storage right above the DW--super easy to tuck away plates, serving bowls, platters. . . .

6. Have extra shelves built for all upper cabs. At least one, maybe two for each. Of course all shelves MUST be adjustable. I just cut extra shelves for mine from plywood and painted the edges to match the cabs. I am always astonished by the amount of vertical space wasted in most cabinets.

7. I really urge you to install lazy susans in your upper corner cabinet, especially if you use deeper cabs. I personally would also angle the front of the corner so a single door would give you full access to the entire corner (my corner is about 26" in diameter) by turning a susan. The amount of accessible storage there is unbelievable. I now have readjusted the shelves and use this for bakery storage, but below is a link to the way it looked right after I retrofitted the susans. Incredible to get full access to this big an area.

8. Have a pull-out tray or shelf in the big cabinet above the fridge. You can have dividers for cookie sheets and such in part of it if you want. If it pulls out so you can reach in from the sides as well as the front, it is a great place to store really large stew pots and such that you do not use often. Much better than using valuable drawer space for them.

I'm posting partly to bump your thread up again. When you can, post what you are thinking of doing. There is SO much help here when a thread takes off. Surely someone will post a layout.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retrofitting super susans in a wall cab corner

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

I think I'd wait on the hood planning until you have a better idea of the new configuration. The style you select may very well change depending upon how the cabinets on either side are configured.

I have 48" of glass fronted cabinets and love it. Wouldn't want any more than that though - what's behind there needs to be pretty enough to show. We went with seeded glass so everything is somewhat clouded, but still can't be a hodge-podge of stuff.

I would try to eliminate the lazy susan in the island, especially since you have other corners already. You would have much better space in the island if it was a rectangle.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I think it's pretty straight-forward--you have an efficient L with an island and no room to expand. I would keep the fridge wall as is. I would not shorten that 30" base drawer and upper to change the fridge placement. I'm sure it holds your dishes and silverware.

I agree you should center the range. I also think you should make your pantry narrower. I would look for inspiration pictures on Houzz for a feature wall that includes a range with decorative hood and a pantry. But you mentioned putting in a built-in MW in that spot.

I'd square off the island and perhaps make it a little larger, but that means new countertop. If you have two different countertops, I'd keep the island and perimeter cabinets the same color. Your kitchen is too small to have too many finishes, and it will conflict with your overall aesthetic.

I don't think you need a prep sink in a kitchen your size. I prefer not to have a diagonal corner wall cab in the prep zone between sink and stove. I might turn the corner with a cabinet there if you have room for a 12" easy reach cabinet on the window wall. Or I might end the cabinets in the corner. It depends on the hood and the cabinets flanking it. It'd be nice to see a 3D mockup of those choices.

I think when you remodel the island and add a nice hood, you'll find your kitchen has just the right amount of interest and you'll want to hold back on overdoing it with "more".

• romy718
    10 years ago

I know I asked this previously, but how tall are your ceilings?

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm away with family till Sunday but couldn't resist checking in. I appreciate all the responses and suggestions.

romy718, we have 8 ft. ceilings.

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Our meeting with a GC is scheduled for Sat. and instead of firming up a plan, DH & I are wavering. We were not going to mess with the current island configuration but feedback here caused us to reconsider. I see this as my "Speak now or forever hold your peace" remodel, so I want to get it right.

The island is my primary prep space. I stand at the end - behind the range - and I am facing the sunroom seating area where there is a wall mounted TV. It also gives me views outside to the deck, the large LR window looking out to the woods and I can enjoy the fireplace in the winter.

It's a step away from the sink, so I don't think I need a prep sink. My pullout to dispose trash is conveniently on the side. I use the drawer above it for everyday silverware, serving spatulas, etc., which is really efficient. Currently, I have a corner Susan where I store canned goods and baking canisters. I am not attached to it.

DH & I eat breakfast & dinner there every day. DH sits on the DR side at the end away from the range. Because I like to catch weather/news and face the outdoors, instead of the range, I scoot my counter stool around the corner and sit with my back to the fridge. This puts my table setting and my stool somewhat kitty-corner and I'm not actually at a place where there's an overhang - meaning I have little leg room. As I'm typing this I realize how odd that sounds. I suppose if I was any more than 5'2" I might never have gotten into this habit, lol.

So one idea we're contemplating in order to maximize the use of the island for the way we use it is to have it be rectangular and move the pullout trash and silverware drawer to the back side where I prep. Obviously, eliminate the corner Susan.

For seating, I was thinking of 3 of our stools with backs on the side of the DR. And on the opposite side, have 3 backless stools that tuck under the overhang on the sink side.

It would give me more comfortable everyday seating, affords seating for 6 for casual gatherings - because we've found that everyone always congregates at the island. And I still have my favorite prep spot w/ trash & utensils.

Also, it would eliminate some of the visual clutter that I have from 2 sides of the island with high-back stools. Some have commented on that, and I agree. Practically, I will always want some stools w/ backs because DH prefers them and they make sense for us.

Is this a good direction? See any flaws in this? Please weigh in if you have thoughts on it.

• romy718
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a rectangular island. You'll have more options to update the overall look.
    Along with collecting inspiration pictures for your range wall, also collect island inspiration pictures. I think my whole kitchen is a collection of ideas I found on either GW or Houzz. GW definitely for the nitty gritty details. Once I have an idea of what kind of style you are going for, I'll contribute pics. What size will your range be?
    Very excited for you.

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy718, I thank you for your post. I have chosen, but not yet purchased, a 30" Electrolux induction range and an Elux French-door fridge.

I am more discouraged than excited right now. I've looked at hundreds of photos on GW, Houzz, in design magazines, and they're all beginning to look the same.

I am wondering if I should just bring in a new range and fridge and keep what I have. Given my space and some set configurations, due to function and flow, it doesn't seem worth spending tens of thousands to have another "meh" kitchen.

I'm usually better at this but I am stuck with no vision. I am afraid if I meet with a KD I will end up with a kitchen from the showroom that looks like everyone else's. I don't want showy or blingy, I was hoping for distinctive and charming. I don't know how to get there.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I know how you feel. My kitchen is small and I wasn't able to change the layout much, just reconfigure the cabinets. But I saw all those beautiful kitchens and wanted to incorporate some of the "pretty" in mine. I tried really hard to add a counter hutch and glass uppers, but it just didn't make sense for storage, and was astronomically expensive (over $1000 for a 15" hutch). In the end I was able to add an open display shelf at the end of my cabinet run and turn the back of my drywalled peninsula into nice cabinetry. But I really improved the function of the cabinets, so it was worth it in the end.

I have the Electrolux fridge and love it.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Amck, it's too soon to give up but I can understand feeling overwhelmed, especially by Houzz. The rest of your home is distinctive & charming and you can get there with your kitchen. Meet with the KD & see what ideas she has for you. You just need a starting point & May_flowers suggestion of looking for a range wall with a decorative hood you like is a good place to begin. Also, with 8 foot ceilings you can take your new uppers to the ceiling without stacking cabinets. Ask the KD how to accomplish that.
    You don't have to redo your kitchen so take your time.
    I've attached your original post again that has the pics of the rest of your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Original link with more pics

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Late to the party...but re: your other post, have you considered trying to add a small banquette, or at least a window seat?

Could you make the pantry much narrower (a pull-out) and move the fridge there, so you still have some space between the fridge and range? Then, turn the island, so the long side is opposite the range, with maybe a small prep sink? If you don't need the sink, then that just gives you more prep space!

This might give you room (where fridge is now) to steal some space and add a banquette/window seat. If there's a way to add a small table, even better. I would try to incorporate some of the details you liked in the kitchen 10 years ago. It made quite an impression...so maybe some similar details (like glass fronted high uppers) would be a great start!

Also, bringing in some of the colors and fabrics you liked...maybe painting the island a different color than the perimeter cabinets? Have fabrics on the window seat and stools that tie in with the wicker? And a collection up in those glass uppers! :)

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lavender_lass, thanks for brainstorming for me. We considered switching the fridge to replace the pantry but it would put it against the DR wall, making it awkward to open.

There is a slider leading to our deck a few feet from the fridge, so no room for a banquette. But one thing I did get - as a nod to that inspirational kitchen - is a dandelion print. I had it matted and framed with hopes it will have a place in my remodeled kitchen :)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Seeing lavender lass's post and reading your other thread made me think of kitchen tables. Replacing the island with a table would certainly change the personality of your space and fit in with your home. Just throwing it out there as a new idea. But then you'd have to prep on the perimeter.

I don't know. Islands are so "modern family" that maybe you could downsize it into something cute instead of a large box. Open the base up with legs for instance.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 10:04

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Here's an example from Houzz. Maybe the island is the answer to the unique personality you want to create. It is the most prominent feature. You could then simplify the perimeter.

I have another photo I'll attach next that shows the window wall.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/haynes-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-nashville-phvw-vp~742232)

[Eclectic Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Nashville Architects & Designers Epiphany Design Studio

• Gracie
    10 years ago

This is a different orientation of the LR than yours, so the appliance arrangement makes sense from this angle.

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/haynes-traditional-kitchen-nashville-phvw-vp~932336)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Nashville Architects & Designers Epiphany Design Studio

• romy718
    10 years ago

I'm attaching this link to Oldhouse's kitchen that I posted on your other thread. The cupboard in your dining room brought this kitchen to mind. It reminds me of the cupboard in this kitchen. I'm not implying that you should replicate this kitchen but one of the things that I find charming that might work in your kitchen are the apron front toekicks. I like may_flowers suggestion to make your island a unique feature. I like the black hardware 'like black buttons on a tuxedo'. I don't know what you have in mind for a hood, but something similar could work. I may be completely off on what you have in mind for a hood, but I have another picture of a charming hood I will post. It was another GW member's inspriration hood.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oldhouse's reveal

• romy718
    10 years ago

Inspiration hood from swfr.
    Edit:spelling

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 13:58

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you romy718 and may_flowers for pulling me out of the muck. I told DD this morning that I had pitched a fit on GW yesterday. It's not like me to be so pitiful.

may_flowers, your before/after shots inspire me and your post made me feel understood.

romy718, you're right that it's too soon to give up! I'm going to pore over the latest inspiration pictures tonight.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Take your time planning! It's so much easier to move things on paper than during the remodel :)

Wonderful idea to have your framed dandelion print! My mom had a daisy print fabric when I was little...I think she cut up some sheets, but they were yellow and green on a white background. So pretty...and probably one of my favorite rooms.

I like the table/island idea. By adding legs and painting it a different color, you can keep your prep height, but give it a little more warmth and personality. Have fun with the planning!

• deedles
    10 years ago

amck: also a little late to the party but have to say that when I looked at your kitchen pics the thought was what a nice, charming kitchen it is now. Like the idea of doing something different with the island and maybe as may flowers said, that (and a range hood of some sort) would be enough to get you where you want to be? It's just me but I'd sure figure out something to do with 10's of K instead of tearing out and replacing that nice kitchen. I'm not hearing you say that you hate it, or it's unworkable and functions poorly, right?

Sometimes less is more, fwiw.

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, deedles, for your kind words. I wouldn't be doing anything to my kitchen if I didn't have a broken range and a failing fridge. Otherwise, I don't dislike my kitchen and remodeling wouldn't be a priority.

However, there are some things that would make it function better. One example - Making red sauce & meatballs today I wished I had a good exhaust fan while I was sautéing onions and garlic. And had the same thought making fish chowder yesterday. The OTR M/W fan is very loud and nearly useless.

Because we need to make some changes to install the range and add a hood, it seems like the best time to refresh the kitchen's form & function. Since appliances and cabinets were in place when we bought, this gives me the opportunity to make it my own. As a spec home, most of my kitchen was put together by someone who never knew me who was specifically gearing it to appeal to a typical buyer. It means a lot to me to be able to choose the major components that surround me every day.

I have reservations about the expense and upheaval, mostly because it is not a bad kitchen. And I feel pressure (self imposed) to do my best to justify the cost. However, I cook daily and my home is the hub for family functions and most holidays. I've been mulling this over for going on 2 yrs. since the range began to fail. I've finally concluded that if I'm going to afford myself one big indulgence, this will be it.

My DD & SIL live nearby & will replace their builder grade oak cabinets with my maple ones. I feel good about that, and they are thrilled.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Well, I'm all jazzed thinking about the possibilities for your island. Can you go a little more rectangular? Would you want to change the orientation so the long side runs parallel to the range wall? I looked back on your first thread and Lisa posted a lot of islands with legs.

I hope your daughter taking the cabs helps alleviate your guilt of changing good cabinets for function only. Does that mean new counters too? With all the improvements in kitchens today, most are due for a redesign about every 15 years, so you are in that ballpark. Very few of us drive 15 year old cars, right?

Romy, I have always loved that look of black knobs on white Shaker cabs with black counters. Amck, those little black accents would tie in so nicely with the rest of your home.

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We've gone from just painting cabs to building up cabs, to getting new doors, to getting new uppers, to replacing all perimeter cabs but keeping the island. Now we will consider changing most everything to get it right.

may_flowers, you pointed out that the sink side of the kitchen worked well in this size kitchen and after being in it 12 years, I agree. I wouldn't have the sink anywhere else than in front of the window. The d/w is to the left of that, which is ideal. I'd like to replace the lower cabs to the left of the d/w with drawers to store everyday dishes.. The fridge works in its spot. I have landing space on both the adjacent counter and on the island. Someone getting something from the fridge doesn't get in the way of anyone prepping on the back of the island or working at the range. Unless someone sees something that would be better, I think that run is good as it stands.

The range wall, my focal point is where I could use help with layout.

I am thinking of replacing the jumbo pantry with something I have in my inspiration kitchen pics (will try to figure out how to post) it is essentially a counter height cabinet with 3 wide drawers. Above it is a cabinet with two glass doors. I would use the counter space for my coffee maker & Nespresso machine. I'd put my dessert plates, coffee cups, Bodum glasses,cake servers, etc. in the glass cabs. Its being right around the corner from the DR, it would be convenient for serving coffee & dessert. It would also bring glass to the windowless side of the space,

Next to that, I'm thinking upper cabs the same width as those presently on the left of my range. Then, the "30 range with the hood. To the right of the range, the same sized cabinet as on the left.

Then, this is where I'm stuck. There are 16" left to reach the sink wall. DH thinks stopping there will look like we ran out of cabinets or it wasn't planned properly. He suggested a 16" cabinet that comes out 4" beyond the two matching cabinets, He thinks it will help define the symmetry we want with the range-flanking cabs, and sort of punctuate the end of the run. It would be too deep to use all the space, but he mentioned putting in a false wall so things don't get lost back there.

We've tried changing where the range is to allow more symmetry, but it takes away from my landing space between the range and sink. I want pretty, but function has to trump form when it comes to cooking in this kitchen.

If any of you can visualize this wall configuration from the floor plan above, I would love to know your thoughts and suggestions.

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

The attached layout I did days ago but didn't post it because it didn't seem applicable to discussions.

Here's my thinking. I would run the countertop all the way along the top wall, around the corner, and down to the fridge. Cabs underneath. You could easily bring a 15"or so wide x 12" deep cabinet all the way down to countertop height on the far left of the stove. That space is not prime work area. I really like the idea of a glass-fronted area there that is shallow enough to find things easily--which your present 24" deep pantry is definitely not--and which would be a lovely accent that could be adjusted to the colors you prefer and even seasons.

Center the range on the top cabinet run as I sketched it here, not between the two walls. The area to the right of the range will be the main cooking area.

The cleanup will happen to the right of the sink, opposite the island.

The island will be your work area, as you say it now is.
    I squared the island and slightly enlarged it. I really urge you to put in a prep sink. I know it seems redundant so close to the cleanup sink, but it isn't. Mine, like this one, is very close to the cleanup sink, but I use both, piling dirty dishes into the cleanup sink and keeping the prep sink clear for work. Of all the changes I made in my new kitchen, I think the inclusion of that sink was easily one of the most important.

I think your cleanup sink should be large enough to hold your biggest frequently used pans. It does not, IMO, need to be as large as it presently is. Making it smaller will leave you room for more drawers.

If this is an idea you can consider, you can solicit input with a query thread here on GW.

I am not sure of the size of the window on the sink wall. I would love you to have 15" cabinets on that wall and on the left corner. On the range wall, 12" cabs will be fine, and will leave easier work areas. (Although I find no problem with 15" cabs flanking my range, because most work on that wall is really done ON the range itself.)

Finally, I played with the idea of moving the fridge toward the sink, putting a shallow 15" or so wide cabinet facing the kitchen on the right of the fridge. If this is 8" or a bit less, it will be wonderful for storing your baking goods, spices, and cans. Then, behind it, facing the family room would be a 15" deep, 20" or so wide pantry for whatever you chose to store there. Hey, among other goodies, it could hold the ladder you will need to access the top of your ceiling-height cabs! This is just idea playing--not a hard proposal.

Actually, all of this is just playing with ideas, of course.

As I have said before in other links, this is like playing with paper dolls as I did as a child. Just plain fun.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 22:28

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Have to go take a final...so I 'borrowed' Bellsmom's version, with a few changes. China cabinet with drawers below, by DR (maybe accent color) and island (also maybe accent color). I'll check back later to see all the other ideas :)
    {{gwi:1756019}}From Kitchen plans

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

bump

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Bellsmom & lavender _lass for working on possible layouts.

Bellsmom, I agree with all your points about the prep sink, but based on how we use our island - as our main dining spot and gathering area - I really don't want to install one and break up that surface. It would limit the number of people who could sit there to eat a casual meal, which happens often when the kids pop by.

The undermount sink we put in when we installed the granite is quite deep & divided (2/3 & 1/3) so it does allow me to use one for light clean- up while I cook & the other for prep.

We have a laundry/powder room off the sunroom/seating area where I store my folding ladder. I have a high shelf above my washer-dryer where I keep appliances like my elec. pressure cooker, Vitamix, popcorn popper, etc. Behind the wicker sofa is a closet (it's very deep, but slants because it's fitted under the home's center staircase) and that is my broom closet. Because I have convenient storage, I don't want to take away any counter and cabinet space to add a cabinet at the refrigerator end.

I realize you didn't have any of that info when you put one in. If I didn't already have storage, it would have been a great solution.

I have to dash out for an appointment, but want to thank you again for your help.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I don't have a computer program, but I sketched it out on graph paper with close-enough measurements.

"We've tried changing where the range is to allow more symmetry, but it takes away from my landing space between the range and sink."

Won't you center the range on the wall? I figured your range wall based on centering the range and using a 36" hood. You'll have about 52" on both sides of the range, so you'll need to divide that into two base cabs. I like the hutches to be the same width as the drawer base it sits on, so about 26" wide. You'll have the same amount for counter to the left of the range, so no problem there. Then your uppers are double-door 26" cabinets--one to the left of the range and two to the right. That leaves you about 13" to bring you to the corner, so you could do the easy reach cabinet and turn the corner for another 13" door. Unless I'm missing something (who, me??), seems pretty symmetrical.

What do you store in the pantry that needs to find a new home? In my old 24" pantry, I had stacked baking dishes and some small appliances. The dishes fit into one 4-drawer stack. Larger pans, like Bundt and angel food pans, and light-weight small appliances (veggie steamer, ice cream maker, etc.) went into my deep fridge cabinets. It's divided vertically with an adjustable shelf on each side. I could have made one side for cookie sheets and trays with built-in dividers.

You may have to use your base corner to make up for the loss of the pantry though, so that means door access on the range wall. I think a Hafele Magic Corner or LeMans pull-out could work.

I wasn't sure how much space you had to the left and was hoping you could turn your island to visually lengthen the width, but it looks like you'd only have 36" walkways. I was thinking you could tuck stools under on the long sides, hence the leg design that would lighten the look and open up the room.

Anyway, hope there's an idea or two here to take to your meeting with the KD.

• amck2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

may_flowers, I'm just getting in & quickly scanned your post. What jumped out at me was that DH was calculating using 30" for the hood. I decided through feedback here, that we should go 36". I never updated him, and last night it didn't cross my mind.

It takes a village :)