SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Spicy Chili Crisp

foodonastump
12 months ago
last modified: 12 months ago

I don't want to derail Nicole's hummus thread so I'm starting a new one. User "whatever" posted a suggestion to add spicy chili crisp; this condiment intrigued me so I did a quick search. I see it's gotten lots of buzz over the past few years; guess I'm last to know! Funny thing though, while reading one article about different brands I realized I have a jar of Momofuko's in the fridge! Bought it last November, tasted it, forgot about it. Just tasting it again and it's delicious! Can't believe I haven't gobbled it up by now. I'm curious what people are using it for?

https://www.saveur.com/food/chile-crisps/

Comments (68)

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    12 months ago

@HU-547125811 (yes I know it's you!) what can you tell me about other uses for that ginger? I don't think I've seen it like that before. Can you sub for fresh?

• lat62
    12 months ago

In Barbara Tropp's recipe, what she calls the 'goop' at the bottom of the oil is what we are calling chili crisp.

• Related Discussions

pickled Jalapeno pepper rings are too spicy!

Q

Comments (21)
    This is the recipe that i used, from the blog Homesick Texan- but did not cook in oil first and left out most of the vegetables (just a few carrots here and there). Pickled jalapenos (escabeche) Ingredients: 1 pound of jalapenos, cut into rings 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into florets 3 carrots, peeled and cut into rings 1 small onion, cut into rings or slivers 6 cloves of garlic, minced (6 teaspoons) 1 tablespoon of canola oil 6 teaspoons of peppercorns 6 teaspoons of cumin seeds 6 sprigs of cilantro 2 cups of white vinegar Salt Water Six pint jars, sterilized Method: 1. Cook the peppers, carrots, cauliflower and onion in the oil on medium heat for ten minutes or until onion is clear. 2. In each jar, place the equivalent of 1 minced clove of garlic (1 teaspoon), 1 sprig of cilantro, 1 teaspoon each of peppercorns and cumin seeds. 3. Divide pepper mix between the six jars. 4. Add 1/2 cup of vinegar to each jar and then fill the rest of the jar with water, leaving 1/2 inch at the top. Add a dash of salt. 5. Seal and then give jar a good shake. 6. Refrigerate overnight and they should be ready within 24 hours. Will keep in the refrigerator for a month. Makes 6 pints Here is a link that might be useful: Homesick Texan - Cool off with Hot Jalapeno Pickles
    ...See More

The Hottest Chili Pepper Is NOT the Ghost Chili!

Q

Comments (14)
    My opinion is that anything over 1 million scoville's is HOT Enough! Sure you can taste some flavor for about 10 seconds of the various flavors of different pods. But once the pain sets in, its all the same. I grew some chocolate bhuts from seed this year that a friend gave me. Some of the plants turned out to be chocolate bhuts and others turned out to be red/orange bhuts. Both of them were DAMN! HOT! I saved seeds from both the chocolate and the red/orange ones and will see what they produce next year. I didnt do anything to isolate any blooms so its anyone's guess what next season will bring ;) I froze some of em, and i dried and ground some into powder. I like spicy hot foods, so i use them quite often to zing things up. We all know that their are tons of different superhot peppers out there. As far as which pepper is the hottest debate, i agree with smokemaster that its a tool for seed sellers to try to make a quick buck.
    ...See More

Question about chili crisp

Q

Comments (14)
    Dumplings, spices, or both? 😜 I'll give the basic recipe 'base'. Where everyone starts, then customizes. Seems every Asian family and restaurant has their own version. I add a couple other homemade spice blends to mine. But if i have just the basics it is still good. 1 cup gochugaru,(korean chili flake) 1/2 cup sesame seed, toasted until slightly golden 1/4 cup garlic flake or dried mince is fine 1/4 cup onion flake or mince 1 and 1/2 cup oil, i use avocado Mix all the dry ingredients together Heat the oil low and slow in a wide saucepan or enameled dutch oven to aprox 290-300º Turn off the burner if gas. Move off the heat if elec stove. Add your spices to the hot oil gently all at once. It will sizzle and bubble but not spit. Stir a bit to incorporate. Leave to cool down 20-30 minutes and add 1 tBsp soy sauce or tamari 1 tBsp toasted sesame oil *I do add lots of other things like in the SeriousEats list. Lots of extra seeds like pepitas, sunflower seeds, toasted. I like the extra crunch. Mushroom powder, cumin, cardomon, ginger powder, paprika, sumac... *It is the perfect mild spice for me. DH would like it a bit spicier. For an even more mild you could cut down the chili flake and add more paprika, sumac, or red bell pepper flake *I have fermented black bean paste in a separate jar. I add a tBsp sometimes when a jar is half empty for something different This is the exact chili flake i've been purchasing. And the sesame seed. Have not purchased the others...just a visual. Judging by my amazon history i go through about 4 pounds of chili flake a year. Just noticed a much better price on 3 and 5 pound bags. I also use if for kimchi. Just made a big batch so i need to order more. I thought i had another jar of crisp but DH wiped it out last night with cheese and crackers. I'm planning to leave my pepitas whole for the holiday batch. Being a nice green color. I usually pulse the sunflower seed and pepitas in my spice grinder. Chunky, not powdered. Some use soy nuts or peanuts. Once i had so many add-ins i needed to add a bit more oil but that is easy enough to do. A pound is maybe 4-5 cups? So that is aprox 16 6oz jars? I've never done the math.
    ...See More

Please post your best hummus recipe.

Q

Comments (38)
    1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained 1 ear corn 1 jalapeño 2 Tbsp tahini juice + zest of 1 lemon 1 handful cilantro (about 1/2 cup) 1 clove garlic 2 Tbsp olive oil + more as needed 1 tsp kosher salt + more as needed Over a gas burner set on high (or on a grill), set the ear of corn and the jalapeño over the open flame. Char both on all sides, turning occasionally as the flame scorches the vegetables and turns them dark in spots. This process will take 8-10 minutes, and keep an eye on your veggies so they don’t become too charred and burn (or, catch on fire – but you’d have to be really negligent for that to happen I think). Set aside to let them cool. While the charred veggies cool, in the bowl of a food processor whiz together the tahini, the garlic, the lemon juice and zest, 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and 1 tsp of salt, until the mixture is very smooth. Add in the chickpeas, and process until the texture is smooth and creamy, adding additional olive oil as needed to keep the mix smooth (usually another tablespoon or two), about 1 minute. Add in the cilantro, and pulse until the cilantro is chopped very finely and mixed in well with the chickpeas, 6-7 times. Be sure there are no large chunks of cilantro remaining. When the corn and jalapeño are cooled, gently cut the kernels off of the ear of corn, and carefully stem and seed the jalepeño. Dice the jalapeño very finely, and then gently stir the diced pepper and the charred corn kernels into the hummus. Taste, and adjust for seasoning – I added a good pinch of salt here. Serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
    ...See More
  • jakkom
    12 months ago

Spouse and I love tofu, and especially fresh silken tofu, which is often used for dessert (dow foo fah, with a brown sugar/ginger syrup). A fabulous Thai street food restaurant in the Wine Country introduced us to a Silken Tofu Salad.

Dead simple: squares of tofu on a plate (they may split or crack; the tofu is VERY fragile), with plenty of chili crisp oil spooned over.

We swooned over it - delicious!

• HU-547125811
    12 months ago

In Barbara Tropp's recipe, what she calls the 'goop' at the bottom of the oil is what we are calling chili crisp.

Yes, i saw that. But she also has a 'chili crisp' recipe...BigOven chili crisp

Two separate things in culinary terms. Chili oil is spiced oil with a bonus 'goop' on the bottom. Chili crisp has more solids. More 'crispy' ingredients.

That said, i'm not sure about that recipe. Cross-posted from SeriousEats. Probably an hour+ of focus. Many steps and probably less useful for various applications.

During the initial covid lock-down the NYTimes featured many on-line services to keep companies afoat. I ordered a lobster roll kit from a Boston restaurant and big box from FlyByJing. 6 big bags of excellent frozen dumplings. 3 different big 16oz jars of their chili crisps. I was disappointed that the jars were 2/3d oil. I . though it was a packaging mistake as most recipes on-line are 2/3d or more the crispy solids. One 16oz jar is 36$. Wow. For all that oil.

Sadly i just found out the dumplings are no more. I've been randomly checking back for a re-stock. Bummer. They were very popular but must have been a shipping/supply-chain issue.

I've been re-using one of my FBJ jars and add one of my 'master' chili crisps to customize for specific dishes.

Excellent tossed on a quick weeknight noodle bowl.

• lat62
    12 months ago

Nice noodle dish, now I am very hungry :))

Supporting the restaurant/food industry was important to me as well, although buying the kits didn't occur , we just ordered takeout and tipped generously as we could afford. Good luck finding dumplings, they're sooo good! Ours were just the Costco ones.

$36 for the Fly by Jing 16 oz is definitely an investment, sorry it didn't have the 'crisps' for you, but reusing the jars is cool - mine is only 6 oz but it's a nice shape so I'll reuse also.

We have made the China Moon chili oil for many years and the 'goop' is so good, whether it's technically chili crisp or not. RIP, Barbara Tropp, wish I had gotten to China Moon back in the day.

The Serious Eats recipe you posted by Sohla El-Waylly describes some various chili to use and, to up my game, planning to pay attention to that and try to get fresh (I tossed a large bag of chilis that had lost their color and wanting to get fresher and not let them get stale). this website looks interesting, https://themalamarket.com, but we are lucky enough to have several Asian markets, will look there first to explore types of peppers. Love the idea of adding star anise, a favorite !

Seems the different variations are endless, I'm wanting to try the China Moon chili-orange oil after all these years, that book was getting dusty.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    12 months ago

Seeing the ingredients list, I have a hunch why too much Lao Gan Ma caused a stomachache...

• plllog
    12 months ago

LOL! I get that. It's from China—not the best place for unadulterated food. But it's kind of the mother of it, and worth the try. I mostly eat organic and simple, though I’m not a die hard. But seriously, the issue was too much chili. It really was tummy burn and ACV fixed it.

• CA Kate z9
    12 months ago

I've never had any of this so I had to order a little bottle of Lao Gan Ma from Amazon. I can't wait to try it.

• l pinkmountain
    12 months ago

When I read the title I was expecting an article about a "crisp" as in "apple crisp" except the bottom part would be chili and the top layer would be mabye a crispy polenta/cornbread/cheesy topping . . .

I might have to invent that recipe for dinner next week! I make something similar in the crockpot with cornmeal dumplings but I like the idea of something in a pan baked in the oven . . .

I might have to try this recipe, I have leftover chicken sausages that would probably be good in something like this . . . or vegan chorizo which I also have . . . https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chili-cheese-dog-casserole/

• plllog
    12 months ago

I think Lpink was talking about what she expected before she read the thread, and how her thoughts motivated her to try making what she was thinking of.

• lat62
    12 months ago

Back to the original question, how to use chili crisp, I'd have chili crisp polenta anytime!

• Islay Corbel
    12 months ago

Serious eats have an interesting looking recipe. I've never seen anything quite like it. https://www.seriouseats.com/homemade-spicy-chili-crisp

• l pinkmountain
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

Excuse me for going off topic. Ya know I hardly ever come here anymore because the posts are so stifling as to what is allowed, but FOAS usually has an interesting perspective so I deigned to kibbitz. Carry on and I'll carry on getting my cooking ideas from somewhere else . . .

Oh the horror of mentioning a hot dog casserole! Which is also kind of funny to me considering I'm a vegetarian and one would usually expect vegetarians to be expressing the outrage over mention of a hot dog!

Glad I clicked though, chili crisp sounds like a fun condiment too. One I might try to make myself and can. Oh wait, this isn't a canning forum!! And who knows if it would be a recipe approved by the USDA so I might be leading a whole cadre of folks down the path to poisoning themselves. Don't try this in your own home! Anyway, it really does look very fun and I love condiments.

In all seriousness, sounds similar to the home made harissa sauce I canned. (I don't need an exposition on how it is different, that's OK, I get it.) The oily fried shallots and sesame I would have to add afterwards upon opening the can, but it has the chili and additional spice element. Great on scrambled eggs and fusion pizza and beans and rice. I special ordered toasted sesame seeds and am loving all the things I can make with them. I know I can toast them myself, but having some already toasted on hand means I can start ahead on making some of the more elaborate dishes. And for some reason, my local grocery always has reasonably priced good looking shallots too.

Now that I think of it, chili crisp might be good on a kosher hot dog, with a little saurkraut . . . oh, my bad, kimchee!! Or is it kimchi?

Edited to add that the recipe for "Singapore hot sauce" in the Ball Blue Book of canning is one I have bookmarked to make when my chilies explode in productivity in the garden. Last time that happened I tried all kinds of new condiments but never got to this particular one. It could be tweaked but you won't get a crunchy element from a canned condiment, that has to come with what you add. It's great to add to dishes for a little oomph though, and I can control the heat to my perfect level. I also discovered that you can freeze super hot chili sauce and it doesn't lose all of its kick. I am still using up the chipotle I made last summer. I froze it in an ice cube tray and add on cube to dishes for a great kick at my level of hotness.

• HU-547125811
    11 months ago

Chili crisp is excellent on hot dogs with sauerkraut, mustard, and/or kimchi. : )

I made another quick batch of Crisp last night. And sauerkraut and Kimchi.

My neighbor makes chocolates for a local bakery. Busy for MothersDay, she dropped of some chocolates with an empty chili crisp jar. She gets free re-fills, i get chocolates. My recent MRH order came last week. I wanted her to get the full recipe with garlic and ginger. (I was out the last batch)

I like Sohla and most of her recipes. I find that recipe discouraging with so many steps and bowls. All the fussing with the peppers...i was done with my batch and the kraut and she was still fussing with dried peppers. Just need to finish the kimchi tonight with the rice porridge.

Also, the garlic and shallot method can be dangerous according to the FDA. The comment section pointed that out. Nice to see the recipe has been updated recently...

Make-Ahead and Storage

Chili crisp should be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 months; it's very important, however, that the garlic and shallots are fried until fully crisp, as garlic and shallots that still have water content carry the risk of botulism.

I prefer to not take that risk for gifting. Or in my home.

Last night...my 'fermentation station'

I use fresh ginger 90% of the time. MRH dried is a bit chewy and spicy. Horseradish spicy. Not hot pepper spicy. I use it for my green tea/iced tea with dried lemongrass, dried lime/lemon peel. Chili crisp, and most fermentations. Not really a good substitution for fresh. I stock the powdered as well and sneak it into some dry rubs. I'm sure i'm missing some other good uses for both.

So many recipes have unessesary steps that turn people off. Too sallty, too sweet, cheap oils. Or way too spicy for my palate. DH can add hot sauce if he wants more kick.

foodonastump thanked HU-547125811
  • CA Kate z9
    11 months ago

Oh Pink, Don't leave us! You just have to read past some folks nasty comments; perhaps they think they even mean well. I think we all get 'stabbed' a time or two, but that's their problem not mine. I try not to respond and let it 'die' there.

I haven't even tasted this Crispy stuff and can't quite imagine it. I do make some pretty good hot sauce with what I grow in the garden; it a basic recipe from a local Master Gardener. But, like you, I don't mind buying something ready-made and on hand. And, I'm glad to know that I can throw that rarely-used jar of hot something in the freezer.

• Judi
    11 months ago

Ipink, did you read the postings.? the postings in this thread.? A hot dog caserole is not even remotely what this thread is about. This is about a condiment, 'chili crisp'.

I know many here post without even reading the thread posts.

Way off topic for a hot dog caserole.

HU-547125811 , are you also sleevendog? I remember similar unfounded critical posts by you on the cooking forum.

• plllog
    11 months ago

One thing that sets Lao Gan Ma apart from others I've tried is cruncy soy beans.

• neely
    11 months ago

It’s kinda nice for me to be buying and tasting the same condiment as you good folks here, half way round the world. LaoGanMa. It has the best crunch and taste as far as I am concerned and the heat is not too over powering, about right for me. I have only tasted one other at my sons place. I put it on some ordinary steamed vegetables we had with a chicken and leek pie and it really made the ordinary taste something special.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Sleeve - I was wondering about the garlic in the SE recipe, hadn't noticed the update. Subbing commercially dehydrated flakes/slices should be ok?

LPink - I don't know about hot dogs but I add candied jalapeno to apple pie and it's great. Apple crisp should be equally good. Go for it!

I had some of the chili crisp on eggs, some on broccoli, neither did much more me in fact I disliked the texture on eggs. Had some on Ritz but that was just an uninspired vehicle. So far my favorite remains the spoon, and the jar is nearly done.

• plllog
    11 months ago

The original vehicle in China was noodles...

• l pinkmountain
    11 months ago

If I can it, it will be subbing a shallot for some of the hot pepper. You can sub quantities of one low acid vegetable for another, but not change quantities. That recipe only has garlic and ginger for the spices, but you can add 1 tsp. of other dried spices. I'm intrigued to try cumin, a favorite, and maybe tumeric. Similar to a dried spice power I get from the Teeny Tiny Spice Company called "Singapore Curry." No sesame seeds, but like I said, I recently ordered a big jar of pre-roasted ones, so easy to sprinkle on a dish afterwards.

As far as forum participation, that ship has sailed for me. I drop by occasionally here. This was quite a cool post actually. I may do a "Chili sauces from around the world" as a program early this fall at our new community center. That's where my life is focusing right now, among other things. I am in charge of the grounds restoration, but we're also restoring the kitchen to be used for public programs eventually. Don't have a stove yet, but I have done canning outside with a gas grill or butane stove so that would still work as long as we get the water hooked up! I know I was looking for an August program and this would be perfect. We are also planning a "make your own pizza" party, pizza on the grill. I wasn't planning on it, but due to volunteer wishes and some donations, we ended up with a spontaneous kitchen garden popping up!

• Judi
    11 months ago

So far my favorite remains the spoon, and the jar is nearly done.

So you're eating spicy oil by the spoonful?

• plllog
    11 months ago

Judi, it's not oil. Oil is the dressing. It's all crunchies and peppers, just soaked in oil.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@l pinkmountain - If you were responding to me, the recipe I was referring to was the Serious Eats one which has shallot. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the discussion of acid/substituting is moot because we're not talking about preserving, just keeping something safe in the fridge for a few months.

• Judi
    11 months ago

Judi, it's not oil. Oil is the dressing. It's all crunchies and peppers, just soaked in oil.

It's a lot of oil. I've had 3 different jars of the stuff.

• l pinkmountain
    11 months ago

Yeah FOAS but you got me inspired to try something similar only home canned so that means leaving out a few ingredients and then adding them to a finished dish--specifically the oil and anything crunchy like peanuts or sesame. I have all the ingredients, which is rare for me . . . But now I'm thinking I need some groovy wide rice noodles to serve it over, with maybe some tofu baked in the oil. I don't know if my local store sells those noodles. I used to get them easy peasy at Wegman's out East . . . I can get the thinner ones for sure.

Hubs and I don't eat much Asian because I just don't seem to have the knack for cooking it. But I still try because I like the cuisine a lot and no place within 90 miles probably to get authentic good stuff at a restaurant.

Wait a minute, I don't have dried mushroom powder. Maybe I should start a separate thread for that. I'm wondering if it is worth buying. Might be a fun thing to add. I am allergic to msg but I eat shitake mushrooms all the time, the fresh ones. I once bought dried mushrooms but finally had to throw them out, I never felt like soaking/fussing with them. The powder sounds easier.

• plllog
    11 months ago

Hm.... Sleevendog is the expert. I've recently tried several commercially sold jars, and they certainly didn't have extreme amounts of oil. Just enough to push out the air. Obvioulsly, this, like anything, will vary. I know I ate a lot of the amount of that first jar I over indulged in (too much capsaicin), straight from the jar. I'm not surprised that FOAS went spoon. ;)

Because we were talking about this, when I was looking for some zing for my salad tonight (vaguely SW, have to go to discussion group), I reached for the chili crisp to add some zing. Interestingly, the crisp part was lost in the salad, but the oil made a perfect drizzle. I was careful not to use too much oil--my jar doesn't have that much and it's needed to keep the rest, but it was a big help to the chicken, for moisture, as well and zip.

• neely
    11 months ago

Regarding the oil content and eating a spoonful. When I have a new bottle of extra virgin olive oil sourced from somewhere new, I will pour a teaspoon full and eat /drink it to see what it tastes like unadulterated... same with other oils like a pumpkin oil I bought at a specialist shop. One teaspoon of crisp probably has half a teaspoon of oil, so I can’t see the harm in having this occasionally. Maybe I’m wrong.

• lat62
    11 months ago

Im pulling this thread up again to share serious eats podcast, fly by jing creator is on…

i like podcasts while i putter around.

https://www.thespecialsaucepodcast.com

• plllog
    11 months ago

I'll add that I found out why the chili crisp didn't do much for the salad. I had inverted it for about a week before opening, and thught I'd stirred, but all the flavor, including salt, had congreated on the bottom of the jar. Even thus concentrated, it wasn't overly salty (i.e., salty but not obnoxious), but all the crunchiest bits were there as well as just lots of flavors.

Stir well!

• annie1992
    11 months ago

I've also made chili crisp, based on sleevendog's instructions, Elery liked it very much and used most of it on his morning eggs. I used avocado oil. My batch was just a bit too spicy for me because I'm a wuss, but I may make a "tamer" batch after garden season.

lpink, the ingredients could probably be broken down into parts, with part being preserved and the rest added after opening, but unless the ingredients are hard to get I think it would be less work to just make and refrigerate it as needed. I'm going to have to turn that idea around in my head a little...

Canning at the community center? Sounds like fun to me. Here a local senior organization is using our Townhall for weekly "social opportunity" for rural seniors over 55. The gamut has run from Zen Tangle to bingo to jigsaw puzzles and potluck lunches. They keep trying to suck me in and I keep telling them that I don't need any more social activity. They did ask me to give a canning class if they can drum up enough interest but I have a sneaking suspicion that over 55 seniors who grew up on farms in a rural area already know how to can, LOL.

You know, though, something like chili crisp or refrigerator pickles or those pickled mustard seeds of sleevendog's might be more interesting to the target group. Make your own condiments or something like that. Thanks for the idea! I suggested a monthly book club, maybe even a cookbook club where everyone makes something from the book and brings it the next month but that didn't seem to go over with many people.

OK, back to our regularly scheduled "chili crisp chat". (grin)

Annie

• l pinkmountain
    11 months ago

I got the idea for "Salsas of the World" from one of our community center teen volunteers. At first I thought she was pulling my leg saying she thought it would be a fun class . . . ya never know. My most popular "Kitchen garden" program at the arboretum where I used to work was "Make and Take Herbal Liqueurs." Second most popular, "Grill Your Own Pizza." We offered a "Garden Condiments" make and take class and luncheon for the students, very poorly attended. Pft.

• plllog
    11 months ago

Some of it depends on the marketing. Just as phrases refrigerator pickles and chili crisp sound more appealing to me. ”Condiments” sound like a snore, just from the word choice (not actual condiments, which would be the most attractive thing to me if I were to startcanning). How about Turn Left at the Mustard, or Ketchup and Beyond, evoking the most well known, familiar condiments, and promising something different at the same time? Note that LPink's modt popular ones state action on the part of the attendee and imply that they will be doing the eating: ”make and take” and ”grill your own”. Maybe ”Liven up Your Fridge with Pickled Mustard Seed”. That's not very good, but better than “Learn to Make New Condiments” which sounds totally boring.

• l pinkmountain
    11 months ago

It wasn't called "Garden Condiments" it was a garden harvest party, I'm just paraphrasing a five year old memory, and I didn't do the PR, the students did. It was a lovely spread, complete with white linens on the tables, herbal spread for crackers, cookies, hot and cold beverages and garden bouquets in vases. The three students who did come were all friends. Peer pressure is key at that stage of life. Not so sure about seniors. A lot depends on the weather, I don't feel like going out when it is cold and damp, my arthritis is getting to be a factor . . .

I tried to tell the students who were interested in creating a student garden that they would be up against steep odds. Most garden tasks on a college campus coincide with the time of finals and even graduation, finding a summer job, etc. Then most leave until the end of August and summer sessions are short, leaving long stretches with few folks on campus. Faculty often take their vacations too at that time. That's why they don't take off very well, not the marketing. Particularly if the campus does not have a robust summer schedule or there is no work study or other incentive for students to show up. College students have to put grades first and that often interferes with their best intentions when it comes to volunteering or program attendance. Plus most have at least one part time job to help pay for their education. Summer they have to make money to pay for the following year. It's a great learning experience for them, but they have to be paid for it to work out, otherwise financial issues will take priority, as is only logical. Some of the best laid plans have fallen through for academicians who don't get these basic parameters.

I always had a few people, but it was an awful lot of work for just a few that showed up. Rural situations much different than suburban. I've done both. Not the same level of attendance, despite any amount of marketing. The time and money is just not there.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    11 months ago

I was trying to figure out one of sleevendogs recipes about five years ago and she indicated I was an idiot. No wonder she hide behind the hu.

• plllog
    11 months ago

Sherry, that's not fair. Houzz sometimes throws those codes at people and it takes time and effort to get their screen names back. She's been signing enough of them for us to know which ones are her.

We all have our personality quirks. LPINK, my apologies! I wasn't trying to take you to task over your past efforts! I was trying to encourage Annie and I just messed up royally and insulted you without meaning to at all! Pure clumsiness on my part. Please forgive me.

I've been in the same position with workshops. When there was a big demand for a particular topic (handwork, not cooking), I designed a hands on workshop with take-home instructions, inc. illustrations, made samples and kits, and had 20 individuals signed up. I figured that meant a dozen or so would show up on the day. Two showed, plus a trio not on the list who came together just to have fun. And they did without ever thinking of touching it again. Oh, and it was a pleasant, sunny day, but not a too-nice-to-be-indoors kind of day. I think it was just a couple people wanted to learn how to do it, and the rest of those demanding the workshop liked the idea of it more than actually wanting to do it. And of course, real life intrudes. I was subsequently, in a different group, asked to lead a hands on challah making workshop. By the time I was done explaining what all was entailed, the board member who asked had thought better of it. (Yeah!) IME, and as Lpink implied, workshops aren't great draws. Even classes which meet regularly get the diehards who just want something to do, but are poorly attended if they're geared toward the after work crowd. The exception is new techniques for the highly skilled. A small pool of potential attendees, but they show up and are eager to apply the new techniques to their own work.

• l pinkmountain
    11 months ago

Oh yes, often the case, folks think the IDEA of a workshop is great, but then you do all the prep work and the PR and few show up. It's not that you begrudge the experience for the few who show up, but when you get to be my age, you start to do a calculation of time invested vs likely return . . .

On the flip side, I just had two high school students nudge me via e-mail that they want to volunteer SOME MORE on our community garden. Things get done in this world as a labor of love by those who care . . . One never knows how or when an angel will show up . . . and yes, I think it is best to see people as being fallible and human because one never knows all the details, and we should realize that we too have our faults that for the grace of God could be judged just as harshly. I often kick myself for having put so much into a project, only to have some former student remark to me about something they learned that I had no idea anyone was paying attention to . . .

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    11 months ago

Very easy to change your name. Go to your profile, click on name displayed, and put whatever you want, as many times as you want.

• HU-547125811
    11 months ago

My last posting on this thread being sooo creepy.. We need quick meals mid-week. WildFork smoked duck breast. From frozen 225ºF, low and slow. Fully cooked a no brainer. While prepping the rest of the meal.

A nice smoked duck noodle bowl and next day duck tacos.

We like a chili crisp rub. on the duck. And chili chrisp rub on the taos while heating in the oven.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 months ago

just assembled all the ingredients and am going to attempt my own ... perhaps even today. Looking forward to it. Gonna make a smal batch first ... 2-3 pints. I will likely be the only one to use it. Looking forward to a drizzle on my portion of the next pizza. Sounds superb with rice and even the nicer ramen-esque wide knife cut noodles.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Sorry if I missed it but what recipe are you using? Regardless, let us know what you think.

I gotta say I continue to find chili crisp very strange in that I love it straight but haven't been happy with any of my uses thus far. Admittedly I haven't tried a ton of uses, since spoon continues to work so well! NYT recently sent a recipe for Dumpling Tomato Salad With Chile Crisp Vinaigrette which sounds interesting enough to try.

• plllog
    10 months ago

Dave, best of luck! Looking forward to the report.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

Well, I am thinking that 1/4 cup of szechuan pepper was a tad TOO much. The outside of my lips got so numb I went thru a cup of just ice. The overall taste was wonderful ... to my pallate.

Method:

Used 4 cups of peanut oil. Next time will use 48 oz.

Used shallots [sliced thinly], a medium white onion [sliced thinly], two heads of garlic [thinly sliced], ginger [two thumb sized sliced thinly], two cinnamon sticks, 5 star anise, 3 ghost peppers [pierced 4-5 times with a fork], 1 Tbl cumin powder, 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 Tbl kosher salt, 1/4 cup of crushed szechuan pepper [will reduce to 2 Tbl next time] and 1/3 cup well-crushed peanuts., as well as the medium hot red pepper flakes [one cup] I use for kimchi.

Place the shallots in desired amount of unheated peanut oil. Turn heat to high and toast the shallots. They will start to turn color. When they turn color, turn off heat and strain the oil into a heatproof vessel [I used a 6 cup pyrex measuring cup] and reserve the shallots, spreading thin on some foil or parchment papper.

Return pan to stove top [I used a dutch oven]. Heat onions on high temp until they start to turn golden. When satisfied with the color, drain the onion as you did the shallots. Spread thinly to cool and crisp.

Return pan to stovetop and turn to medium high heat and brown up the garlic. I waited about 2 minutes until I got a pleasant aroma. Remove from heat and strain. Cool as you did shallots and the onion.

Return the now fully aromatic oil to the stovetop and bring to a rolling boil. Have another heatproof vessel [I used my other dutch oven] at the ready. It should contain everything EXCEPT the shallots, onion and garlic. Pour the boiling peanut oil carefully into the waiting unheated vessel. The aroma of the bubbly mixture is a treat for olfactory nodes. Stir with a wooden spoon to ensure a consistent mixture. After a couple minutes, add the crispy shallots, onion and garlic; mix well.

Allow to cool about 90 minutes or overnight. I just put the lid on the dutch oven and went to bed, Remove the cinnamon sticks, star anise and the ghost pepper. Ladel remaining goodness into pint jars or the like. Lid and store in the fridge, I got 3 1/2 pints of the tasty stuff.

Pleased enough to attempt again. Will use a lot more toasted sesame seeds next time.

~ bragu

• CA Kate z9
    10 months ago

I bought two jars, one of chili crisp and one of truffle chili crisp. I'm sorry to say I didn't care for either. I gave them to my DIL to try since she loves anything hot. Turns out my youngest GS likes to eat them with a spoon. (sound familiar.) .😉

• l pinkmountain
    10 months ago

That one deserves a "WOW" comment Kate! I am a bit of a heat wimp. I don't like to have food after-effects long after it has left my mouth . . . so I can do a little, but not to the lip burning level . . .

• CA Kate z9
    10 months ago

l pinkmountain, I'm with you completely, but I guess others like that HOT! taste... as stated in this thread. I know it almost can't get hot enough for my DIL, but I didn't know her son was the same.

• plllog
    10 months ago

LPink, I think it's like any other seasoning—or poison, which the capsaicin (Sp?) is—one builds up a tolerance, then that changes with age. Some things I think have no heat burn other people's mouths, while the year I hit a milestone birthday, I all of a sudden went from loving raw jalapeño slices on pizza to getting a peppery (hot) stomach ache from it. Good chili crisp from a spoon is delightful. Too many spoonsful is a peppery tummy ache. YMMV, but if you started with good guacamole (which is good for you) with just a little hot salsa in it, not enough to burn your lip, you might get enough tolerance to enjoy a spicy pickle in a sandwich with no lingering or burning. Not saying you should! Just that you probably could. And a little ACV (or any vinegar) in water will remove the burn, no matter what.

• CA Kate z9
    10 months ago

"And a little ACV (or any vinegar) in water will remove the burn, no matter what." I didn't know that. Thank you! I'll add that to my bag-of-tricks.

• plllog
    10 months ago

I'm pretty sure I learned that here. The trick is we tend to think of hot as acidic because hot sauce is usually in vinegar, but it's actually a base and the vinegar neutralizes it. And ACV tastes better straight than most other vinegars, and a spoonful in a cup of water tastes like lemonade without the lemoniness. So, the proof was the day I picked up a burger to eat while I visited my mother who was recuperating. It was smothered in sliced jalapeños, and delicious going down. By the time I got home, my entire esophagus was on fire. Made myself a tall glass of water with a few glugs of ACV (1-2 tbsp). All better, right away. Like a balm. But acidulated. ;)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 months ago

it is quite tasty ... but i put too much crushed szechuan pepper in it ... it makes my lips go numb .... ha.

Method.

Four cups of peanut oil. Should have used all of the 6-cup bottle.

Shallots first, put them in cold peanut oil on highheat and browned; drained and set aside. Then some sliced onion: ditto. Then toasted some bits of garlic on medium heat ... two-minutes about (when they get fragrant); drain, set aside.

Put the now-flavored, fragrant oil back on the stove and bring back to a boil.

Pour the boiling oil over your crushed pepper mix [used crushed peppers used in kimchi], including: crushed peanuts, 2 tbl brown sugar, 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 Tbl cumin powder, 5 star anise whole, two thumbs of thinly sliced ginger, a tiny bit [1 Tbl] of kosher salt, a generous 3 tbl of crushed szechuan peppercorns, and 1/3 cup of lightly toasted sesame seeds. Also steeped 3 ghost peppers [pierced with a fork] in the mix. After a few minutes, I threw the crunchy shallots, onion and garlic to the mix and let it cool 90 minutes, stirring occassionly.

When cool, fish out the star anise, cinnamon sticks and the ghost peppers. Ladeled into pint jars and left on counter overnight and then placed in fridge this am.