SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_585097808

Sunken Living Room Furniture Advice

David P
12 months ago

Hi All! My wife and I are finishing up some light updating on our new home, which has both a den and a living room. We're coming from a condo, so our existing furniture will fit well in the den. However, we now have this nice large living room as well, and we're struggling to figure out how to configure the furniture. It's a sunken living room, which is immediately visible as you enter the front door. The far end (left if you're facing the fireplace) is open to the dining room. I've attached some photos below (the red carpet is the "before" shot, but it's the only one with the view into the dining room, so enjoy a peek at the past!).

We'll have a TV in there, wall mounted either left or right fireplace (I'm thinking to the left of the fireplace, but open to the right). I don't really like looking up at a TV, so above the fireplace really isn't an option in my opinion.

We'd like a sectional, but can't decide if right-sided (legs facing the fireplace and the dining room) or left-sided (legs facing the fireplace and the front window) make the most sense.

• If we go right-sided do we push the sectional all the way under the window so we're not "wasting" space? I usually don't prefer pushing furniture against the wall, but maybe it makes sense in this case? Then we'd put a couple of chairs on the left side, which would potentially leave some dead space down from the dining room?
  • If we go left sided, that might create a "cozy" living room setting, but then might make that area feel more closed off, since the backs would be toward the dining room? Would that approach negate the openness of the space?
  • Or do we say screw the sectional and go with the longer straight couch with more chairs + ottoman?

We appreciate any advice!

(I cut off the bottom dimension, sorry! The width of the living room is 14', so the core space we have to work with is about 14x20)

Comments (8)