SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_823510030

quartz seam on sink - not happy!!

Zanky Shah
last year

Does this seam look ok? Acceptable?
Fabricator originally said they would have a cut near the cooktop (which made very happy as the cooktop would hide most of it) but when they came to install it was at the center of the sink. While it is a small cut vs. the usual long diagonal ones that I have more commonly seen, I hv lost my sleep over this and it bothers me as it is in a high traffic area of the kitchen and my eyes just keep going there!! I use the sink a lot!! What should I do? Ask them to cut from another slab (they have yet to install the backsplash) so may be there’s a possibility they can change - idk..?? Looking for genuine advice! Pls be kind and honest.

Comments (48)

• RedRyder
    last year

It looks good to me. The smaller cut near the sink is a favored place to put it. I’m not sure why you don’t like it - because it’s not where they originally said they would put it?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO a good place for the seam compared to the cooktop and the usual place too.

• Related Discussions

Seam or no seam quartz countertop

Q

Comments (8)
    Sorry, Melissa, I can't make any sense out of what you're describing. Perhaps you could draw something, take a picture of the drawing and post it? The more rounded the edge, the less likely the chipping.
    ...See More

Is this a bad quartz countertop seam and sink installation??

Q

Comments (30)
    It's better if you find a smaller fabricator with proper licenses and insurance. Don't go with big box stores but also make sure not to do business with contractors or freelancer shops who cut quartz in their driveway, yard or a garage. Check the reviews, ask to see some of the work they already did, and that should be enough to make you certain that you're doing the job with the real professionals. And now you can say that you can be certain how a seam should not look like.
    ...See More

Another seam placement question for Compac Quartz counter top

Q

Comments (2)
    i wouldn't be too worried about seam strength, frankly. if it's in the corner, the cabinet edges will help support it, and similar would be true for the sink. i would think about what you would find noticable/irritating. myself, i'd want the seam in the corner. i'd find it less noticable there.
    ...See More

any advice on quartz seam

Q

Comments (8)
    I agree, it doesn't look good and what a shame to have a seam and such a small piece attached. We can't see the rest of the kitchen but it seems likely there may have been a better location for the seam. As for the width of the seam, I'd agree on that too - it looks a little sloppy. Start by asking the company to come back and lay out a plan to make it better. Is there any more of your slab left that they might be able to cut a new piece and make a better seam?
    ...See More
  • auntthelma
    last year

Its really perfect. Breathe. Kitchen renovations are stressful. Your sink is beautiful.

• lucky998877
    last year

Looks good to me, it was never going to disappear.

• plf12652
    last year

Where is the faucet going? I hope not on top of the seam.

• Zanky Shah
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all, my concern is that I will keep seeing it and so will everyone else as it is in a high traffic area.. also I spend so much time at the sink…and it will keep bothering me.. I know I am being too picky (for some
    Of you) but I appreciate your critical and kind comments. I know it’s “me!” But I am just wired that way.. can u pls help me with alternate suggestions where it can be etc.. I can send my kitchen layout pics just to see my options here.. thank u again for your time 🙏

• PRO
    Revelry Interior Design
    last year

This is incredibly common and the place that makes the most sense. It looks really good to me. You don’t want the seam at the cooktop where grease will degrade and stain it.

• Zanky Shah
    Original Author
    last year

Yes @plf12652: faucet will be on the seam at the back 😳

• Zanky Shah
    Original Author
    last year

Ok so if not cooktop and sink (as I don’t like ot there) then where else?

• plf12652
    last year

Well if the faucet is on the seam that disguises it…..and the seam is really fine anyway. I assume it’s not a problem installing a faucet on the seam…

• anna_682
    last year

The seam looks really good. Honestly, once you get everything in working order you won't even notice it.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

Seam? What seam? It's nearly invisible. NO ONE that walks into your kitchen is going to see it.

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last year

This placement is where I typically recommend it. And they did a great job with it. Do you want to pay for new countertops to put it somewhere else where it would be even longer and more visible? Trust me when I say you won't even think about it once the kitchen is finished.

• Beatrix
    last year

"Ok so if not cooktop and sink (as I don’t like ot there) then where else?"

Not on top of the dishwasher either.

• User
    last year
    last modified: last year

That is an excellent seam. You should be ashamed of this post.

• K Laurence
    last year

You’ve lost sleep over this ??? Really? You must have lived a charmed life. I think the seam is in a perfect place, looks good.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

The seam is fine. You can have a custom apron sink retrofitted and eliminate it.

• circonium
    last year

I honestly cannot see a seam in your first and third photos. I do see it in the second, but it's very innocuous.

• decorpatti
    last year

Our seam is at the sink as well, and it is virtually invisible (like yours). It has been there for almost 14 years, and there have been no issues whatsoever...I never ever think about it, unless someone on Houzz worries about a seam, then I take a look at mine again and feel thankful that it is so inconspicuous and small. I truly think that having it anywhere else would require a long seam that would interrupt the continuity of your countertop. It seems that your fabricator/installer did an excellent job.

• Ruth
    last year

This is not criticism. That seam is great. No one will notice it or care. Your concern seems to stem from some extreme need for perfection. You will be the only one that this bothers. If you put that seem somewhere else, it will be worse. Practice letting it go, it will be good therapy. (I’m a psychologist BTW). You do not want these little imperfections causing you so much distress. BTW I love your sink

• cpartist
    last year

Thank you all, my concern is that I will keep seeing it and so will everyone else as it is in a high traffic area.. also I spend so much time at the sink…and it will keep bothering me.. I know I am being too picky (for some
    Of you) but I appreciate your critical and kind comments. I know it’s “me!” But I am just wired that way.. can u pls help me with alternate suggestions where it can be etc.. I can send my kitchen layout pics just to see my options here.. thank u again for your time

Sorry but you're being way too critical. That is an excellent seam and no way you'll get better. Believe it or not, in a few weeks it will not bother you at all. You won't even notice it. How can I say that? I'm a fine artist and my students call me eagle eyes. My work is tight and precise and I see every flaw normally.

I have a seam that isn't quite as good as yours at my prep sink and kept staring at it when it was first put in. I've been in my house now almost 5 years and I can tell you after about 2 weeks in the house, I stopped noticing it and haven't given it another thought in these five years.

And no one who comes in will walk by your sink and notice the seam.

• cpartist
    last year

You mentioned that the quartz is going to also be your backsplash? I hope it's not behind your cooktop!

• iroll
    last year

I have a seam at the cooktop, and another at the sink, with the faucet on it. It's been over 10 years, and they are all fine.

• shars55
    last year

The seam has to go someplace, and that looks great. They did a good job, in my opinion.

• Sheila Kelly
    last year

It is barely noticeable so I don't think you need to worry about it being noticeable to others but it would bother me too so you aren't being over critical.

• kculbers
    last year

The seam is well done. In time you may forget about it.
    Hindsight is always clearer. I read so many posts about people being unhappy with their countertop seams. When I had my kitchen renovated I chose to have seamless quartz countertops. My kitchen designer also had “seamless countertops” written in the fabrication order.

• PRO
    last year

I've been a designer for many years and have never heard of someone notating "seamless countertops". Was the kitchen designed in a way that seams would not be required? That's the only way I can think that a quartz countertop would be "seamless".

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Seams are dictated by layout and slab size. Your designer can change her design, but she can't order "seamless" if the math doesn't work.

• lharpie
    last year

If you have a small kitchen chopped up by 4 doors like mine you can have seamless countertops! ;) be grateful you have a kitchen big enough for seams and that one looks great! agree you’ll forget about it no time.

• chispa
    last year

It is more than acceptable and what 90% of us have in our kitchens. The other 9.5% have apron front sinks. There might be 0.5% that have a seamless sink installation.

(The percentages are guesses based on projects I see on the forums!)

• User
    last year

Maybe you would be happier with corian where the seam will be invisible

• kculbers
    last year

Kristen Petro: I have a modified galley kitchen. On one wall I have a 96” long seamless countertop. On the other side of my kitchen: the seamless L shaped countertop (that includes my sink) is: 74” long and the part that buts up to my refrigerator is 33” long. Then, on the other side of my range, the countertop is 26” long. My countertop is Silestone quartz, no seams.

• PRO
    last year

It is seamless because the 74"x33" piece could be fabricated from one slab. Returns do not necessarily need a seam if A. the slab is large enough, B. the installers can transport it, C. there are no obstructions that would prevent the installers from maneuvering it in place and D. enough slabs were purchased to allow for the l-shaped countertop and the rest of the surfaces. Seamless is not a feature or a special upgrade available from Silestone. But I respect your designer for making sure the fabricator did not put in a seam unnecessarily.

I've used your Silestone quartz on a couple of jobs...beautiful material!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Maybe you would be happier with corian where the seam will be invisible"

At DuPont's required Corian school, students are instructed that seams are "inconspicuous", never "invisible".

• Bellgirl
    last year

I was always told never to put a seam at the sink because of structural integrity meaning it has a greater chance of cracking/flexing etc. And the staining of the seam glue near all the water, etc. The seam doesn’t seem so bad. I would be uneasy of its location

• Olychick
    last year

It would be a real shame to redo the quartz in search of a better seam placement and end up with something which makes your current seam look great by comparison and that could happen.And I just have to add that your install is one of the best seam placement matches I've seen posted here.

Joseph's idea of an apron front sink would eliminate the seam.

• Kay p
    last year

We would be thrilled if our seam looked half as good as yours

• kudzu9
    last year

The only thing better would be no seam, which you can't get. I'm picky on details, too, but this is too minor to spend time perseverating about. As I've gotten older, I've tried to focus on the truly important things that I can change; not the minor frustrations that actually make no difference. In situations like this, I consider my problems in terms of an ultimate test; i.e., how important is it to my life? And the ultimate test is this...would you like your gravestone to say: "Her life would have been better if she had only been able spent more time and attention on resolving her countertop seam"?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"I was always told never to put a seam at the sink because of structural integrity meaning it has a greater chance of cracking/flexing etc. And the staining of the seam glue near all the water, etc. The seam doesn’t seem so bad. I would be uneasy of its location."

This is myth. A strapped sink becomes a truss which holds up a countertop very well.

• User
    last year

True, Joseph. I consider the OP’s seam inconspicuous. So, for me, Corian is practically invisible. But maybe not to the OP

• aliciaflorrick
    last year

Zanky. You say your eye keeps going there. We can’t see your view from your photos, but just try really hard to focus your brain to enjoy your view. I spend a lot of time at the sink too, but I can assure you I never examine my sink. I just enjoy the view outside. Your seam is very acceptable and once you stop looking at it, it will be forgotten.

• shirlpp
    last year

Once you start using that kitchen you won't even see it. I obsessed over not getting a straight line between the ceiling and wall while painting the dining room. I can't even tell you where I thought the issue was after a few weeks.

However, if it really bothers you, then go ahead and take the chance of them mucking it up to put it where you will be happy.

• palimpsest
    last year

The only way to avoid seams is to have the counter runs smaller than the size of the material.

Almost everything has joints or seams in it. Nobody expects seamless wood floors. Nobody expects seamless clothing. EVERYbody expects seamless countertops no matter how large they are or how unlikely it would be a single block of stone (like a waterfall island). It's really gotten quite ridiculous. And it's the fault of photoshopped perfect images from the industry itself.

• theresa21
    last year

I had Pergo flooring a long time ago that I hated because each panel was made up of several fake boards. When the light hit that flooring, it was very bothersome to me because the seams did not align with the boards. I would have been much happier with a Pergo product where the boards and seams aligned. I think seams are an important consideration. For me, I agree with the OP, I would rather have the seam located at the cooktop not the sink where I would want continuity around the circumference of the sink. However, I think the contractor did a beautiful job with the sink seam. Most every construction project will have regrets, but in the end, its the whole of the project that counts. The OP's awesome workstation sink is the star--no one will notice the seam after looking at that beauty!

• Linda
    last year

I'm very much of an outlier here but one reason I didn't choose quartz for our new kitchen was the seaming. The ones on display at the countertop dealers didn't look great which they told me was because they were old and had seen heavy use. My eye went right to those seams every time. I went with Corian solid surface and while they may have to say the seam is "inconspicuous," I have yet for someone to be able to find it.

I think your seam looks as good at it gets. I'd live with it for a while before making any changes. Hang in there, a remodeling project is tough.

• Zanky Shah
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you folks.. for your guidance and support! I really do appreciate it..

This is the first time I did something like this.. asking on a public forum, so I am very touched that so many people took the time to respond. 🙏

• amwall123
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Albeit an old post... but I am just coming on here to chime in and tell you that it is untrue that no one would notice this seam. I am one to tell you I would notice it LOL. I wish I wouldn't but....It is just how we are wired, we are who we are and we need to be PROUD of that haha! I am doing a new build and had the same question about seams and felt a seam at the sink would be more noticeable to me (maybe others too - who knows - but I am the one doing the dishes LOL), and/or difficult to keep clean versus a corner or other area where a coffee pot can hide it. In our old home it was in the center of the sink like this (10+ years old) and the seam still appeared fine! It is all the little things that go into reno and building! Wishing you the best of luck!