SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_kelley73

Foundation planting suggestions for Dutch colonial home

Elizabeth Kelley
last year
last modified: last year

We had a new flagstone walkway with large landing installed a few weeks back and will be waiting until the early fall to have new shrubs and other plants added. We will only be keeping the Japanese maple in the small bed on the right. I’m leaning towards boxwoods with hydrangeas behind and some lower shrubs/ground cover (maybe dwarf indian hawthorn) I want to keep color palette mostly greens with some white and a hint of color ( maybe a blue catmint). I’m a bit overwhelmed by all the different varieties of evergreens and perennials. Our home faces south and gets plenty of morning and afternoon light. We’ll also have the bed in the front left corner of our property changed. Not sure if we should configure to have it stretch to include our willow oak where we have a hard time getting grass to grow. For this reason we did not spend money adding sod to area around the oak. I welcome any input on the following:

1. Foundation plantings in front two beds of house above bay windows. Symmetry is key, so will want same foundation plants on both sides, but can play with smaller accents. Also should we add a railing or add some tall plants flanking the front entrance?

2. Plants to include around small japanese maple in bed to the right. Maybe blue juniper, but unsure what other plants.

3. Plants to include in new bed on front left side of yard and whether we should have this bed stretch to include oak.

Comments (5)