SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

My kitchen facelift is almost done!

jojoco
last year
last modified: last year

I'm just waiting on a few accessories and the cushions and bolsters for the window seat.

This is generally what it looked like before (this pic is from the PO listing. We had changed the floor to stone and didn't have plates on the wall) . I wanted a kitchen that felt warm and maybe a bit french. I knew it would never be magazine worthy, but honestly, that wasn't what I was going for. I wanted a kitchen where people could gather and feel welcomed. I think I got it. The color is Benjamin Moore White Cloud which in person is closer to eggnog.

Thank you to everyone for all the suggestions and vetoes. This really was a group effort.

Let's first talk about my alphabet plates. You know, the ones where the wall looked dinghy behind them? I ended up painting that area the same color and sheen as the cabinets and trim. it's much better. There are things that would make it perfect, like hanging each plate individually instead of using the plate rail groove, but project fatigue has set in and I'm sort of over it. I would not have the patience to try to make 22 plates look evenly spaced and level. I'm waiting for one more plate--Z for Zebra--that should arrrive this week. I'm missing four, but again, I'm over it and not really looking for them.

Is it perfect? Not a chance, but it feels really warm and inviting and that was my goal. I'm going to add a painted canvas floor cloth to the area where the lug of a dog is. I think it will be a blue harlequin pattern maybe with some other colors on the corners. Not sure yet.

More pics to follow when the cushions are in.

Comments (63)

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

Magazine worthy is overrated! Home-worthy is real life and still beautiful. I think you got exactly what you set out to achieve and it hits all your notes perfectly. It's really lovely.

jojoco thanked DLM2000-GW
  • amykath
    last year

The minute I saw your after I smiled and kept smiling. I adore it. Wow! Everything looks amazing. Love your colors, the plates look stunning, the grid in the window, the stools, the hutch, the touches of warm gold brass and your sweet big loveable dog! He is a doll!

You have truly outdone yourself! I am drooling!

The only thing missing is a little lamp. I love lamps! 😉

jojoco thanked amykath
  • Related Discussions

need help with my almost done kitchen~please!

Q

Comments (2)
    I like the island and I think you could go either way with the ORB or a nickle finish. The crown gives the kitchen a more traditional feel, but I think your glass upper cabinets gives off a more contemporary vibe. I would go with the ORB if you want a more traditional look. You did a great job painting and adding the crown. It's gonna look great!
    ...See More

Arbor #2 Done! Done! Done! (almost)

Q

Comments (3)
    Yep, a pre-midlife crisis project. Something I've wanted to do for 10 years now. My plans? Well, let's just say, I've obsessed....um, er...thought about the design for the last 5! So, yes, my design...LOL
    ...See More

Kitchen's almost done, but I need help!

Q

Comments (7)
    I would go with the antiqued brass. First off it would look lovely. Also brass is making a come back. Also mixing metals is fine. My space has bronze pulls, a coppery bronze faucet, and ss appliances. Go with your instincts of what would look good. It took me five weeks of spending most of my waking hours looking at different pulls on the net. I finally found the one that made my heart sing. My cabs have a very subtle beading on them and my hardware has an edge of beading in each groove. Good luck and I am anxious to see your kitchen when it's done.
    ...See More

Pix of my oak to white kitchen (almost done!)

Q

Comments (13)
    Love BM white dove... used it in my current and last kitchen. Your new kitchen looks great! I envy you having the painting hired out... it IS a huge job and I only had to do 7 cabinets last time. Blah. Anyway, enjoy you beautiful new space!
    ...See More
  • Oakley
    last year

Well done, but I can't take my eyes off off the dog. He's huge! What breed is it?

jojoco thanked Oakley
  • DawnInCal
    last year

Turned out beautifully! You did a great job and have created a space you can be proud of. That's one big dog there - looks squishy and cuddly! :)

jojoco thanked DawnInCal
  • Kswl
    last year

I did not even realize that was a dog— I thought it was a RUG! As I read the comments I wondered what dog they were talking about and clicked on the picture to see it bigger and more clearly. That is one big dog!

Congratulations on a successful kitchen makeover, Jojoco. It’s calm and charming and just right and just you.

jojoco thanked Kswl
  • nini804
    last year

Wow! It is amazing what a difference painting the cabinets and the trim white made…I did a double take bc I initially thought you enlarged the opening into the breakfast room! And the plates look great displayed like that, I don’t think you need to hang them. Great job, beautiful space!

jojoco thanked nini804
  • salonva
    last year

Such a great update! I think you accomplished everything you set out to do.

Enjoy.

jojoco thanked salonva
  • ilikefriday
    last year

The before and after are remarkable. This is fabulous!

jojoco thanked ilikefriday
  • eld6161
    last year

❤️

jojoco thanked eld6161
  • Irish2
    last year

Your kitchen facelift turned out beautiful!

The finishing touch is your beautiful ”fur” kid 😍

jojoco thanked Irish2
  • porkandham
    last year

It looks great!

jojoco thanked porkandham
  • rubyclaire
    last year

Such a great update - it really looks lovely. And bonus points for the matching dog!

jojoco thanked rubyclaire
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

It’s beautiful, jojoco! Love the color, granite, and how the new cabinet blends in so nicely and makes it all look so welcoming. I’m glad you didn’t paint the muntins, as it adds to the warmth imo.

jojoco thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Bunny
    last year

It's lovely, Jojo. What a beautiful space. And pup is the best part. I'd love to see a pic in the daytime.

jojoco thanked Bunny
  • gsciencechick
    last year

The kitchen turned out great, the white is just perfect, and I love your floofy doggo. 😍

jojoco thanked gsciencechick
  • Eileen
    last year

It's pretty darn wonderful! And yes, it is magazine-worthy!

When hanging the plates was suggested, I was thinking "Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a plate rail?" Glad it worked out!

jojoco thanked Eileen
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    last year

I love it! But really Jojo….keeping a horse in the kitchen????😂 My dog would fit in your dog’s mouth.

jojoco thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • teeda
    last year

So peaceful, warm and welcoming! You've done a great job--and quickly!

jojoco thanked teeda
  • eld6161
    last year

Our dogs and cats are definitely our decorating inspiration!

jojoco thanked eld6161
  • Yayagal
    last year

It's perfect and now you can breathe again, relax and enjoy.

jojoco thanked Yayagal
  • cran
    last year

Wow, both rooms look terrific.

jojoco thanked cran
  • pudgeder
    last year

Oh it's so lovely!! Can't wait to see w/the final product!

Are you sure that's not a sheep in your floor? ;-)

jojoco thanked pudgeder
  • Sueb20
    last year

Great job!!

jojoco thanked Sueb20
  • czarinalex
    last year

You did good! I love the hutch there. Warms the kitchen up. A rug by the sink will be the finishing touch!

jojoco thanked czarinalex
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

Jo, if you don’t mind sharing again, which granite did you use?

I’m thinking about painting and doing a minor kitchen redo myself sometime in the next year and keeping ideas handy. I’m really on the fence about cabinet color so haven't made any decisions. I just don’t think I want pure white and no dark granite. TIA!

jojoco thanked OutsidePlaying
  • tuesday_2008
    last year

Beautiful job! What type of paint did you use for your cabinets and backsplash? I know you stated BM White Cloud...just curious about the specifics (i.e. sheen, type, grade, etc).

I am guessing that your pretty plates ”show up” better in real life than pictures.

jojoco thanked tuesday_2008
  • Funkyart
    last year

It looks wonderful ... the hutch was the perfect find to add warmth and character and I love the creamy colors! It is clean and fresh and, yes.. so inviting!

jojoco thanked Funkyart
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Brava! You work fast! You did a great job of reworking the space for the counter seating you want, but still preserving it as an EIK for resale. The rug colors work very well --- can you get another, smaller one for the working side of the kitchen? Can't wait to see the windowseat.

jojoco thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for the kind words❤️.

Mtn, here is the other side

The stone is Taj Mahal quartzite:

Here is the paint that was used in a satin sheen:

And here is a couple of shots of Scout, our Great Pyrenes ( she was focusing on popcorn)

And one more:

• jill302
    last year

Beautiful update! Very warm, the perfect place to spend time cooking or visiting. Love your idea of a blue harlequin floor drop; Scout will look quite handsome lounging there.

jojoco thanked jill302
  • Irish2
    last year

I guessed right that your ball of fluff was a great pyrenees-Scout is a beauty !

jojoco thanked Irish2
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

The counter looks like it was always set up that way.

Scout is gorgeous! Holden, too of course.

jojoco thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Feathers11
    last year

It looks great! Congratulations! You've turned it into more of a blank canvas for showcasing your decor. I love the countertops, too.

jojoco thanked Feathers11
  • Sueb20
    last year

Do I spy…3 coffee makers?

jojoco thanked Sueb20
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Sue, your’re right— one coffee maker is mine ( decaf only), one is dh’s ( “decaf isn’t-coffee”)and the third is my 20year old old Breville cappucino maker that still kicks you know what. . and then of course there is the coffee bean grinder…

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

Very nice! So much to like, but I think my faves are the counter and how it coordinates with the floor, and the faucet color!

jojoco thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Anne, one of my favorite details is the old paneling that suddenly looks fresh. I am so very glad we kept it!

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

here is a VERY rough mock up of the floor cloth that I am ordering. The scale is wrong here--the center will be larger and the cherry pattern will be scaled down a bit. The colors will be cream in the center and behind the cherries with the lines and borders painted to match the tile behind the stove (I'm sending the woman who makes these an extra tile.)

The cherries will be a darker red, vs the current fire engine red pictured here. I don't want a huge rug, just a 3 x 5 area rug for in front of the sink area.

Btw, these hold up forever. I have one in front of my sink at my cottage that used to be in my year round home. It is at least 20 years old. They are sealed a million times and spills wipe right off.

hand painted floor cloths

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Cannot top what everyone else has said. It is just wonderful. Of course, Scout is the best part and matches beautifully. I also love the muntins being natural and with your cupboard, both add so much warmth to the rooms.

We had a Newf when I was growing up in PA, but as much as I want another, too hot for them down here. :-(

Is your flooring limestone, travertine, or something else? I have been looking at stones for our lower level, but online shopping just doesn't work for that.

jojoco thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Bluebell66
    last year

Very charming and inviting, for sure. I especially love the new counter and old panel backsplash. And of course sweet baby and handsome dog.

jojoco thanked Bluebell66
  • barncatz
    last year

Agree - it's charming and inviting. And that counter - what a gorgeous choice!

jojoco thanked barncatz
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Cyn, this is the second floor like this that I have installed. It is travertine and the layout pattern is "Versailles". Both times I have purchased the stone online from Stonelocator.com

It is a medium (I think, French) ivory with chiseled edges. It was very reasonable and the quality is great.

• Tina Marie
    last year

I love it! I'm so glad you shared the info on painting the cabinets. I keep thinking about having ours done. I need to just bite the bullet!

jojoco thanked Tina Marie
  • dani_m08
    last year

@jojoco - please send me your address - I want to come kidnap your dog! LOL.

Kitchen looks great also - you just showed how it’s not a waste of money to paint cabinets + add new countertop + new floor + few other more minor changes. Definitely not ”lipstick on a pig” - a saying that’s been repeated too many times on Houzz when someone wants to do an update like you have! Enjoy!

jojoco thanked dani_m08
  • lizbeth-gardener
    last year

Such a quick transformation! Love your backsplash/paneling and they did a great job on the cabinets. Feels so fresh. Will be fun to see your floor cloth and window seat!

jojoco thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Oh thanks, Jojo! I will check out the link. Still haven't painted the porch, but after that, the downstairs! Woohoo. At least I hope it will be woohoo and not yikes.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Wow I am just blown away by how wonderful your kitchen looks! I loved all of the choices you were making as you made them, and everything works so well together. I'm really glad you used the lovely stone floors and the Taj Mahal quartzite is just a crowning jewel. I'm feeling some kitchen facelift envy right now. (Mine is showing its age even though it's perfectly adequate.) Also, Scout is the perfect accessory. I find my kitchen looks much better when my shepherd, Kona, is on the floor in the middle of it.

jojoco thanked pricklypearcactus
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

We need a "dog in kitchen" thread. Starting with Kona, please. (And cats that act like dogs, or cats that won't deign to acknowledge a dog, are also welcome.)

• Kswl
    last year

The perfect finishing touches—- a boy and his dog. They are both precious!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH