SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twntyonegambler

Arbor #2 Done! Done! Done! (almost)

twntyonegambler
14 years ago

So, I am almost complete with the second arbor that was built in backyard. Wanted to share again, as Ive done in the past, a few tidbits that I hope can give some information. I know I appreciate this site very much for all the advice, etc that folks here provide. Apologies in advance for the writing style!

So, off we go!

- Redwood again. 6x6posts 2x8 headers, 2x6 on top and 2x2 4" spacing

- Did not sink into the concrete like last time. CouldnÂt since I was still in the process of the grill/bar design and needed the flexibility, post pad pour to move things around a bit. Instead went with drilling post bases and cinching them up nice with 4" red heads (sort of like a molly bolt  actually it is a molly bolt). Nice and secure with epoxy.

- Designed it fairly high since the grill and power burner will be under it. Have plenty of space/clearance from grill top and burner top if things go haywire. Besides, will have two fire extinguishers at arms reach just in case.

- Rebar and a 5" pour of a pad with textured top. Concrete color did not come out to my liking at all. Oh well  will look at staining later.

- Will be adding additional "L" supports for added strength. The L supports will be covered by the post base trim that is coming up here in the next week or so.. trim will match the other arbor. Will drill/notch out for the head of the bolt.

- only mistake we made was after we were all done, we realized that we made the whole thing run the same way as the other arbor. Wanted, instead, to create a mirror image of the other arbor  Opps oh well. IÂve not even noticed it recently.

- once all up  did the same seal process as I did on the other one (wrote about it in "Done, Done, DoneÂ" last year). In fact, I did both at the same time this year. 75degree day, no wind, took about 3 hrs prep day before, 7 hours total stain time plus 1 hour cleanup. Of course ran out of TWP Natural Redwood color  three Kelly Moore stores and was back at it. Each store said they carried it, but twice they had provided me wrong info. They carried "Redwood"  thereÂs a big difference in color.

- Did a really thorough job of wiping down any excess material as this is over the bar, grill and food prep area and IÂll have granite installed as counter tops. Had some minor spot problems after first rain on last arbor, so definitely want to protect the granite.

- Next up was to install the trellis work  decided to go with ¾ copper pipe since my light fixtures will also be copper. Will look forward to having them turn brownish as this will match the rest of the landscape lighting. The pipe is inserted in ¾ couplers to give it a look of heftÂ

- looked at aluminum, but seemed costly plus had to special order it.

- IÂm a measure once, cut twice kind of carpenter, but this was actually pretty easy to build. Tubing is spaced 7" on center. Used my workÂs drill press for straight drill holes. Needed to be fairly precise with each "set" so as they would match up evenly and I didnÂt have to move things around too much. 1" drill bit. Took some plumbers tape and wrapped the couplers so they would sit snug in the holes. Cut the pipe to be able to move them in the couplers to fit between the span.

- Did not glue or solder them as I want to be able to replace if they get bent, etc..in fact, I inserted 6Â dowels to provide some extra rigidity. With soccer and baseballs flying, hopefully theyÂll bounce off instead of bending. Painted the dowels with copper green to help prevent decay. No smell. Dowels will also help support weight of the vines, especially as they grow larger and larger.

- Screwed everything up, buffed out the trellis and IÂm ready for vine planting. Oh one thing  copper pipe has red stamping on it. DonÂt worry - It rubs off with metal cleaner. The price/UPC stickers are another matter though!

- One word of caution though - the space between the posts is around 6Â6" Â any longer and to find a pretty straight piece of copper pipe may be a challenge.

- Looking at planting maybe grape vines  any thoughts?

All-in-all fairly pleased with the results. Will be doing lighting next  looking at using Fx Luminaire product again  really well made, lots of choices, different bulb options and have had no problems whatsoever with the existing lights in our yard. No I donÂt work for them! But do wish I could get a discount! TheyÂreÂahemÂ.not cheap!

here are some more pictures.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/573825179ztVomh

Comments (3)