SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daryl_price76

Wrightsville ga

Daryl Price
last year
last modified: last year

My beautiful Tupelo oak had slugs last years...now it looks like black gall? or black ashy stuff is spreading thru the slug trails. This tree is very old and beautiful ...devastated to think I am killing it. Please help. I have before and after picts but not sure how to post them.Thanks, devastated Daryl

Comments (16)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

If you click in the comment box, you'll see a 'Photo' button to add photos to a new comment.

Daryl Price thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • Daryl Price
    Original Author
    last year

all her glory

• Daryl Price
    Original Author
    last year

Black gunk

• Daryl Price
    Original Author
    last year

on trunk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

never heard of slugs in trees... but i dont know the flora and fauna of GA ... lol...

slugs are chewers.. not suckers.. it sounds like you have an aphid type problem... and the black stuff is honeydew molding... if you get the bugs under control.. the black soot will wear away..

call your COUNTY extension office.. and ask what plague ran thru your COUNTY last season.. and what they might recommend ...

usually.. plagues come and go over the decades... and treatment is not necessarily needed year to year ..

do let us know what the local peeps tell you ...

imo.. do not rely on some chainsaw guy to advise you of how to give him hundreds of your dollars... if you want.. you can find and hire a local ISA certified arborist.. for an opinion ..

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=ISA+certified+arborist.&ia=web

ken

Daryl Price thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I'm pretty sure the 'slugs' in this case are oak sawfly larvae, which are frequently called slugs although bearing NO resemblance to the mollusks most of the rest of us recognize as plant chomping slugs :-)

While the impact of a sawfly 'slug' infestation is unsightly, it is not harmful to the tree and requires no treatment unless happening repeatedly year after year. Repeated defoliation can weaken the tree and make it more prone to other oak ailments.

Since the sawfly larvae do not produce honeydew, whatever the black substance is it is unlikely to be sooty mold, especially as it is appearing on the trunk bark. Wetwood or slime flux is a common oak issue that can produce black streaking. Clearer photos might help to clarify the problem but ken's suggestion to contact your county extension service with photos and details will generate very localized and specific information.

Daryl Price thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

The black frass on the trunk is reminiscent of oak tree borers.

You might find a borer 'hole' hiding somewhere underneath that stuff.

But agree, the extension services will many times come out for an on-site inspection.

Or they may just want a sample of it to analyze.

Daryl Price thanked BillMN-z-2-3-4
  • bengz6westmd
    last year

Sometimes oaks get a canker (wound) underneath the outer bark and sap leaking gets out on the surface & turns black. Wouldn't worry much unless it gets bigger.

Daryl Price thanked bengz6westmd
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

I don’t find the pictures the least bit helpful.

• Daryl Price
    Original Author
    last year

Neither is your comment

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

@ Daryl Price, the point rhizo was trying to make is that the photos are not clear enough or close enough or detailed enough for us to make anything more than guesses or speculation as to what is happening to your tree. Hence the suggestions to take the pics and info you have to your extension service.

It's a bit like diagnosing a brain tumor when all the patient reports is a headache......just not enough info to make an accurate assessment. So in that sense, yes, her comment was very helpful!!

Daryl Price thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Daryl Price
    Original Author
    last year

@gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

😞 sorry I am a first time user to forum and others commented on photo being bad. They still offered advice. Just trying to save my beautiful tree.

• Daryl Price
    Original Author
    last year

@Mrs. Beasley

Thank you. Trying to take a better picture wasn't possible due to location of problem. I typed before I thought. thers made comments about poor quality of picture, just not as bluntly 😀

• ViburnumValley central KY Bluegrass z6
    last year

@Daryl Price:

First time user or not - take some more and clearer pictures! Time's a'wastin'...

I will add - in a critical but constructive manner - that there are folks here that are responding only to what you have provided. The images can be clearer and more complete - that is given. You can provide images of the situation NOW; fall color is not important to your problem.

The other thing I will resolutely offer: this is probably a Blackgum or Tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica). This is not an Oak of any kind. Knowing what species of tree that this is can be critical to determining what the problem may be, and what should be done about it.

Please! Take good clear pictures of branches, stems, twigs, buds, leaves, and other items of detail of your tree. A good clear picture of the whole tree is helpful, too. Help us to help you, and don't worry about the tone of responses or anything else.

• Daryl Price
    Original Author
    last year

@ViburnumVallery central KY Bluegrass z6

Ok ok…the picture wasn't clear but 4 weeks go I had open heart surgery and could not climb around on a ladder to get a better shot. I just wanted some advice and I am a "if you can't say something nice..or helpful" you know the rest. t wanted to save my tree but I am too th in skinned so peace out.