SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reed_crosby6

Closet/Bathroom remodel - Do I need to hire a designer?

Reed C
last year
last modified: last year

Hello everyone! My wife and I are looking to expand our closet space, and possibly our master bathroom. The main goal her is to get as much closet space as possible as my wife is sick of not having enough space in our "walk-in closet". So the situation is that we have a full bath in the hallway that we would like to turn into a powder room and take that space and add it to the closet and the master bath.

So, first question, if I already have a contractor I like, do I need to pay someone to provide detailed plans? I will be removing/adding at least 2 walls but nothing will be load bearing so I will probably not permit the work. I am a structural engineer and have enough experience with AutoCAD that I believe I could provide detailed enough drawings that the contractor could work off of.

Second, any thoughts on the design or how we could maximize our space. Here is the current layout (ignore dimensions for now as these are pretty rough):

Here is it just with the walls:

Here are 2 options taht I think could work. I will have to figure out just how narrow the powder room could be and still work (anyone have experience with this!?!) so that we could maximize space. I just painted our vanity so I'd prefer to not do a total remodel in the bathroom, but if you have ideas to move everything we are pier and beam so moving plumbing is not a problem. I'd love to hear any feedback on these 2 options:

and just a blank one in case you wanted to play with it :)

Thank you so much for any input! I always appreciate all of the feedback from all of you smart people!

Comments (3)