SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonrebekah

Kitchen Layout - sloped ceiling challenge

jonrebekah
last year
last modified: last year

So this is more aesthetics than function - but we are considering reconfiguring this kitchen somewhat. It isn't an inconvenient layout in cooking but the one high wall feels/looks very awkward to me. The kitchen and living room share that half wall with a vaulted ceiling and is challenging to me. It does make a nice open headspace and maximizes a outer window wall but that is why the kitchen has the layout it does. Visually it seems cramped and a bit boring. EDIT for clarification: Adding in here that the kitchen is not crowded or cramped to work in. For example, there is more than 7 ft between the sink and the stove. It is easy for one person to clean up, wash dishes, load the dishwasher while someone else is cooking on the other side of the kitchen. But visually it seems crowded cabinet height and then wide open spaces at the top. The number of cabinets is sufficient but they are all hung so there is a minimum of 12" (8 ft wall) above the crown molding which is the size of the cabinet now above the fridge.

We have considered stacking cabinets on the high wall and having open shelving on either side of the window to make it feel more planned/open with approx the same amount of cabinet space. (Bigger window too?) Or we could do the opposite and stack cabinets on the 8 ft wall and have shelving either side of the custom hood. We don't need easy accessibility to the higher ones. However, wIth the sloped ceiling I don't see how we can do the whole wall that is almost 11 ft. Will it be strange to extend them but not go to the top?

Also thinking of adding a custom hood and moving the microwave out of this room. The pocket door shown leads into a small room/space that has a shared pantry and laundry room.

If we go that route, should we try to continue that around the L shape to the left of the stoe? End with the Lazy Susan cabinet and do something else like more shelving or a steel pegboard?

I'm not really super unhappy with the kitchen but replacing the flooring is forcing a decision on committing to this layout. It's not terrible but IMO could be tweaked a bit to serve us better and be slightly updated. Some people are over wood cabinets but we are fine with the hickory (although would change the hardware to a black matte). Or we could go with white on the uppers if that isn't too busy?

Thr fridge does need to be a counter depth though - not sure why such a large one was installed.

Also we have not ended up using the breakfast bar and that L piece doesn't have any storage beyond the bay of drawers. Thinking of redoing that. If we do, would it work to have a kitchen cart/island that could be used as a mobile workspace? I'm thinking about the size if you just sliced that L right off.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the clutter in the real life pics!

Comments (11)