SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Healthy lifestyle - do you love it or force yourself?

3katz4me
last year

I was thinking about this yesterday as I cycle in and out of exercise routine enthusiasm. In the dead of winter in MN, when every outdoor surface is an ice slick, I'm relegated to indoor stuff. I don't like exercise that's just for the sake of exercise vs some kind of strenuous, productive activity - like yardwork for example. Unfortunately as an above knee amputee more fun types of exercise (cross country skiing, skating, tennis) aren't feasible though I do hit the tennis ball but can't run across the court so don't really play. (I am going to try pickleball though). I make myself exercise because I know I should if I want to remain alive and active as long as possible but I do not enjoy it. DH on the other hand seems to genuinely like it and never misses a day.

Along the same lines, I will readily admit to enjoying some junk food from time to time - french fries and potato chips for example. For the most part I like lighter foods - veggies, fish, poultry, nothing rich/creamy or breaded and deep fried - but I don't go out of my way to avoid carbs like pasta, rice, etc. and I'll occasionally have a good burger or steak. I've had an open bag of quinoa in my cupboard for months and finally made something with it this weekend. I used to use couscous and I think I'm now convinced I'll use quinoa instead going forward. Fortunately my appetite seems to match my level of activity so I'm not overweight.

Anyway, as I was pondering my not overly healthy lifestyle I wondered what others are like - enthusiastically "all in" on health and fitness or "all in" on enjoying life regardless of how unhealthy it may be or somewhere in the middle.

Comments (27)