SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
banks5309

Help with basement layout please!

Hope
last year

A few weeks ago we had a wicked cold spell and a pipe burst in our mud room. It damaged the kitchen and most of our basement.

We’ve never made much use of our basement but now that our child is a teen we’d like to set it up in a way that we will make use of it going forward and I am struggling to find a layout that will allow a corner sofa which I'd really love to have.

It’s a long and narrow basement with an unmovable door to the bathroom right in the middle of the long wall and I am at a loss as to the best set up. My goal is a cosy TV area with a corner sofa and some built in storage. I like the ektorp corner sofa at Ikea which is 96x96. But again, open to suggestions - I’m just not that interested in a sofa with a lounge chair, I’d prefer the corner sofa set up if possible.

I’ve included my sketches of the floor plan and the walls in addition to pictures from the past owner. Given the flood everything is a mess down there so while we don’t own any of the furniture in her pictures, they still give a good impression of the space, windows, bar, stairs etc…The ceiling is pretty low and varies between 71 and 81 inches.

The previous owner built a wall to recess their TV, subwoofer and some shelves. We are using this opportunity to push the wall back and will gain between 18 inches to 3 feet along the back wall. (YAY!)

They also built a little bar area on the wall where the stairs are. The cabinet was not damaged by water and everything there is intact. The floor is tiles while the rest of the basement was carpet. We are happy to keep this little nook as is however, if we find a great design that requires us to get rid of it we are okay with that also.

I have spent the last week measuring and planning and remeasuring again… my basement layout is a conundrum as I can’t figure out how to make the best use of the space.

There must be another way to go about this that I am not thinking about or seeing. What do you guys think? Is anyone spotting something I haven’t thought of?

Comments (9)