SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camilla_collier

Mudroom and Bathroom

Camilla C
last year

We will be building soon. I am trying to design in a traditional farmhouse style with a hint of victorian. Since this will be a new build, I am also trying to use reclaimed items throughout the house. I would love some feedback on my mudroom and bathroom design so far. The bathroom is also connected to one of the kid's bedrooms. Also, if you've used reclaimed materials before I'd love some do's and don't. We already have most of our reclaimed doors, some stained glass, and other odds and ends.

Comments (22)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

I hope its a DIY build. : ) ?

Reclaimed is admirable, you simply need the patience to adapt/ accommodate your selections to the build.

Show the entire floor plan, that is the first thing, the most important thing as of now.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Way too many doors and purposes. It’s a mud room that connects to a bathroom that connects to a laundry room that connects to a kids bedroom? What’s behind door #2? Kids should not be able to sneak out of the house (or someone sneak into the house) via a connection to the mud room. I don’t mind having laundry in the mud room, and a powder room connecting to the mud room, so kids can dash in and use tha bathroom while outside playing. But I would not connect the whole kit and caboodle to a bedroom.

• Related Discussions

Tile transition: mudroom to bathroom

Q

Comments (8)
    A powder-room floor isn't very likely to be wet (well, one hopes not anyway!) so slipping shouldn't be much of a worry. If you're concerned, you can choose tiles that have a higher "coefficient of friction." Coefficient of Friction is a measure of slipperyness and ranges (in theory) from 0 to 1. Zero would mean no friction at all while 1 would be mean you couldn't slide against the surface at all no matter how hard you tried. For comparison, rubber tires on dry road surfaces experience a COF of about 0.7 to 0.8 but when the roads are wet the COF drops to around 0.4. Wet ice can have a COF of 0.1 or even lower. For a shower floor, I would look for a tile with a wet COF of at least 0.6 or else use 1x1 or 2x2 mosaic tiles so that the COF of grout is more important than the COF of the tiles. Even with 1x1 mosaics though, if the tile is very slippery, you can wind up with a very slippery shower floor.
    ...See More

Floor layout help with a 11' 6" x 11'11" laundry/mudroom/bath

Q

Comments (27)
    I am not a guru but I can give you my opinion. Melanie on the regrets - while trying to minimalize them they still will happen! Flip side is you will likely also have some grrr that ends up turning out different but BETTER than you imagine. IMO stealing the foot makes it much more functional so I would do it in a heartbeat but I am not the expert. It also opens it up and will 'feel' better. I think that's a good spot for a broom closet and charging station and should easily stay tidy. It is about 5' wide yes? That is a nice size space. Measure what you have you want to store in there and then look for pics of what you are thinking. Utility sink in the garage - really in the winter there isn't much dirt and when it's exposed it's frozen too so I'd think the utility sink would get more use in the spring summer fall when it's thawed so I'd keep it on the table too. My opinion - your money. Ha! As far as 'enough room' - it sounds like your kids are younger based solely upon still being in the 'add more' season of life. :) I can tell you only to think seasons, think sports, cleats, basketball shoes, church shoes, boots, hiking shoes, tennis shoes, flops, bats, ball caps, backpacks, lunch boxes, water bottles (if you have girls think even MORE shoes and then purses - ack)........ I will say for my 2 the space we have is more than adequate and it's quite roomy (I just double checked and it's actually 6.5' on a side so each person has 3' plus). That said we also have a closet near that I put off season stuff in and dog food. Winter coats and snow pants and boots are not in the locker area all year. I put them in the closet over spring/summer/fall. As long as you have a spot for that I think you are fine. Off season can closets can always be in the basement as well. There are always sweatshirts hanging and ball caps. Besides that there is always a stray nerf gun, goggles, flash lights and what have you hanging out there. I don't mind it there - it's out of the way and not underfoot! Old house it used to be in their rooms and all over. We had no designated space for outdoor wear anyplace besides bedrooms. If I am feeling brave I will snap a real life pic of it in action. It is easy to pick up and look presentable when needed but typically M-F it's a dumping spot. I like an open bench vs doors because we do use it to sit down to put stuff on and take stuff off regularly. And when our parents come and use that entry they love to be able to sit down to put on and remove shoes. It's comfortable and useful. With your window placement in the bathroom and the exterior door you will find it a nice light filled space. Our exterior door there is 3/4 glass and I love how it lights the hall. It is never a dark space.
    ...See More

Mudroom/Bathroom Tile: Help!

Q

Comments (2)
    That tile is a custom design layed on 45 degree angles. You can hand pick this tile at your local tile shop and have your contractor lay this out as a custom piece in which it is.
    ...See More

HELP with master bath and closet design!!

Q

Comments (12)
    You could try turning your shower 90 degrees and putting it on the top of your bath, flipping the closet and accessing it from the dresser location, turning the powder room 90 degrees, and having the mudroom connect to that hall. you may have space for a small closet in the mudroom or in the hall. your end up with a smaller master closet though.
    ...See More
  • ptreckel
    last year

Love that you are using reclaimed materials. They do require some creativity. Rather than a standard pocket door, you can turn your five panel into a pocket door with the right hardware. Keep the vintage door knob, too. (Those finger tabs are difficult to operate!). LOVE the door with the wooden screen door, too! You will need to work with a good, patient carpenter to retrofit old into new. Bravo!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"The bathroom is also connected to one of the kid's bedrooms."

I view this as a bad idea.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I view it as a REALLY bad idea.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Also, if you've used reclaimed materials before I'd love some do's and don't. We already have most of our reclaimed doors, some stained glass, and other odds and ends.

- Recognize that reclaimed materials can end up looking great -- can end up MAKING a space -- but they will be more effort and (often) more cost in the long run.

- Don't go overboard with reclaimed items. Pick a couple things to be "the stars" -- don't allow them to fight with one another.

- Recognize that old stuff often isn't a standard size. For example, in the house where I grew up we had a piece of old furniture made into a bathroom vanity ... I'm 4'11" and I had to crouch over to use the sink. Don't say, "But I love it so much, I'll make it work."

Show the entire floor plan, that is the first thing, the most important thing as of now.

Yes!

Finishes and reclaimed items are super-fun, but the floorplan must be Job 1. At the moment, I agree that you have too many doors in this area.

It’s a mud room that connects to a bathroom that connects to a laundry room that connects to a kids bedroom?

LOVE IT. In general, houses on this board are over-bathed. I want enough bathrooms for everyone's comfort ... but not so many that keeping them up is more of a chore than it needs to be.

A bathroom that serves the mudroom AND a kids' room is a great idea ... it saves space, it saves materials, and it does double duty.

What I dislike about this bathroom is that it has no natural light. I'd work at the floor plan until this problem is fixed.

Kids should not be able to sneak out of the house (or someone sneak into the house) via a connection to the mud room.

I agree that sneaking in/out is a consideration at a certain age ... but I don't see this bathroom connection as any more of a problem than the kids' bedroom being near the entrance in general.

I don’t mind having laundry in the mud room, and a powder room connecting to the mud room, so kids can dash in and use tha bathroom while outside playing. But I would not connect the whole kit and caboodle to a bedroom.

I'd rather see the laundry connected to the master bedroom. It's a convenience, and I'd take that convenience for myself ... not give it to one of the kids!

Other thoughts:

- Is the laundry on an interior wall? How will it vent to the outside? Recognize that keeping the dryer on an exterior wall is less expensive to build and more fire safe down the road. I'm wondering about moving the washer/dryer to the upper left corner (between the two doors to ... ?) so you could enlarge that closet?

- The weird corner in the closet isn't going to be useful. I'd rather see that closet cut a little shorter ... and go with some shelves open to the room in this space. Those shelves would be easily accessible and would be super useful for things you need by the back door.

- Do you have pets? You might want a space to hang their leashes.

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    last year

What I’m hearing is that there needs to be a separate power room. Where would you put it without increasing the size of the house? (There’s also a loft bedroom ensuite upstairs)

• Mrs Pete
    last year

What I’m hearing is that there needs to be a separate power room. Where would you put it without increasing the size of the house? (There’s also a loft bedroom ensuite upstairs)

No, seeing the whole plan, the bathroom serving the mudroom and the secondary bedroom is FINE. And it has natural light. The one thing I'd change is the pocket door between the bath and bedroom ... pocket doors are great when they're left open most of the time (like pantries or laundry rooms) but not so great for doors that're opened constantly. Such a pocket door will break, and then you may need a professional to fix it.

What I would think about:

- What's this space to the other side of the garage? Looks like a mother-in-law suite? Again, I wish the bathroom had natural light. Is the bed right next to a kitchenette? How Holiday Inn.

- In a moderate-sized house, you have three living spaces? How do you anticipate using each of these? It looks like overkill.

- You're wasting a lot of space on transitional spaces ... the wide-wide entry, the empty hallway at the bottom of the kitchen, which appears to be a second mudroom space? This square footage would be welcome in the main living area.

- The living room /dining room looks a bit small. Dining room especially.

- Do you plan to have a TV in the living room; if so, where will it go?

- You've sandwiched the living room /dining room between bedrooms ... so what you've done is create a dark space for the room where you'll spend most of your waking hours. I'm thinking you'll have an open door area on each side of the fireplace and one window over the kitchen sink ... that's ALL the natural light you'll have in the main living space.

- The vanity in the master bath looks to be about 6' wide? So you'll have very little storage AT the sink ... just one set of small drawers between the duplicate sinks. I'd downsize to a single sink and have a good bank of drawers for each spouse.

- Where is your outdoor living space? The space just past the kitchen will be a driveway.

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your responses!

The one thing I'd change is the pocket door between the bath and bedroom.

I will definitely think about this. Growing up, my bathroom had a pocket door and it wasn't ever a problem, but it may be nice for it to be a swing door.

What's this space to the other side of the garage? Looks like a mother-in-law suite? Again, I wish the bathroom had natural light. Is the bed right next to a kitchenette? How Holiday Inn.

Yes, it is a mother-in-law suite. This layout is based off of a casita I lived in for a few years. Do you have a layout suggestion that wouldn't increase the sq. ft?

In a moderate-sized house, you have three living spaces? How do you anticipate using each of these? It looks like overkill.

There are 2 living spaces. The living room is where we would watch TV. The sunroom, off the living room, is where we would hangout, play with the kids, and enjoy the wood burning stove in the winter. I think the other living space you are referring to is the home office/sunroom off the master.

You're wasting a lot of space on transitional spaces ... the wide-wide entry, the empty hallway at the bottom of the kitchen, which appears to be a second mudroom space? This square footage would be welcome in the main living area.

I'm not sure what wide-wide entry you're referring to. I believe the 'empty hallway' you're seeing are the stairs that go up to the loft and down to the basement.

The living room /dining room looks a bit small. Dining room especially.

This is why we have 2 living spaces. One to watch TV and another to hang out as mentioned above.

Do you plan to have a TV in the living room; if so, where will it go?

The TV will go above the fireplace.

You've sandwiched the living room /dining room between bedrooms ... so what you've done is create a dark space for the room where you'll spend most of your waking hours. I'm thinking you'll have an open door area on each side of the fireplace and one window over the kitchen sink ... that's ALL the natural light you'll have in the main living space.

Yes, there will be a large window in the kitchen above the sink and two large floor to vaulted ceiling windows on either side of the fireplace. With the large windows in the living room facing south, I think there will be plenty of light.

The vanity in the master bath looks to be about 6' wide? So you'll have very little storage AT the sink ... just one set of small drawers between the duplicate sinks. I'd downsize to a single sink and have a good bank of drawers for each spouse.

The vanity is 7" wide plus a medicine cabinet above each sink and there's a linen closet behind the door.

Where is your outdoor living space? The space just past the kitchen will be a driveway.

On the other side of the kitchen window is the driveway. The outdoor space is what all of the other doors lead to - out the mudroom and out both 4-season rooms.

• cpartist
    last year

Yes, there will be a large window in the kitchen above the sink and two large floor to vaulted ceiling windows on either side of the fireplace. With the large windows in the living room facing south, I think there will be plenty of light.

Nope there will not be. Light does not travel that far, even with floor to ceiling windows. Ask me how I know.

Also while the light from the south windows wil enter during the winter months, they will not in summer because the sun is higher in the sky.

Oh and if you're trying to save money, floor to ceiling windows are more expensive especially since I believe they will need to be tempered glass.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

I am overall not impressed with this inefficient floorplan. There are 5? 6? Main floor entrances? Little redundant sitting rooms at either porch entry? One of which opens into a bedroom and one opens into the living room?

• chicagoans
    last year

The angled corner in your mudroom closet (circled in orange below) gets you nothing, as you won't be able to access that space and it's too narrow to hang anything anyway. I think you'd be better served to square off the closet and give your washer and dryer a bit more space on that wall. Agree with others that I'd delete the door to the stairs and between the bathroom and bedroom. I like having a powder room off the mudroom, but as it's the only bathroom for the bedroom, walking around to get there will be awkward. I don't see a solution to that other than making room for a small PR accessed from the mudroom and a small bath with shower off the bedroom.

• chicagoans
    last year

What's the purpose of this little indent, between the garage and the house? It seems like that would just complicate the foundation and rooflines there. I know you said you don't want to increase square footage, but squaring that off might not cost any more and perhaps even save some money by simplifying the roof and foundation. Then you'd have a bit more space to rearrange the mudroom area and see if you can fit what you need.

• bpath
    last year

I wonder…if the kitchen moved down, taking over the foyer hall, and the front door is moved to in front of the basement stairs, you eliminate a hallway, and add a convenient “friends and family“ entry, and no change in square footage.

• bpath
    last year

In the garage, I wonder about the steps. When the car door opens, will it hit the step? Will someone be able to get in and out of the car without tripping on the step, especially if the lt person to park pulls a little too far to the right?

I imagine yard tools will be in a shed. What about bikes and basketballs?

• bpath
    last year

I’ve been busy in the other thread, take a look?

• Mrs Pete
    last year

I will definitely think about this. Growing up, my bathroom had a pocket door and it wasn't ever a problem, but it may be nice for it to be a swing door.
    We also had a pocket door in our bathroom growing up ... it was frequently broken (I do have three brothers), and we were unable to close the door for months at a time.
    Yes, it is a mother-in-law suite. This layout is based off of a casita I lived in for a few years. Do you have a layout suggestion that wouldn't increase the sq. ft?

What is the square footage? What furniture does she need? How much kitchen does she need? How much storage does she need? Is this her full-time residence?

There are 2 living spaces. The living room is where we would watch TV. The sunroom, off the living room, is where we would hangout, play with the kids, and enjoy the wood burning stove in the winter. I think the other living space you are referring to is the home office/sunroom off the master.

I'd recommend one large space where the family could comfortably gather ... with or without the TV + a smaller space that can be closed off (visually and acoustically). But right now you have three small spaces, none of which look comfortable. If you do away with the large entry near the fireplace, you'll have space to make one of these large.

Does someone work from home full-time? Could the smaller living space double as an office during the day? You're planning some too-small spaces, and this might be a place to find the needed square footage.
    I'm not sure what wide-wide entry you're referring to. I believe the 'empty hallway' you're seeing are the stairs that go up to the loft and down to the basement.

Nope, this space here -- it's a lot of wasted space:

The TV will go above the fireplace.
    Try before you buy: Move a sofa or chair near the fireplace, as it is in your plan. Sit down and see whether you find it comfortable to bend your neck to watch the TV up high.
    I think there will be plenty of light.
    Respectfully, no. Not even close.
    Nope there will not be. Light does not travel that far, even with floor to ceiling windows. Ask me how I know.

Yep, not just my opinion.

• bpath
    last year

MrsPete, i grew up in a few houses with pocket doors. The only one that was ever an issue was when the puppies figured out how to open it. With good quality hardware, there is little reason for a pocket door to break any more than a normal door.

• Camilla C
    Original Author
    last year

chicagoans -

The angled corner in your mudroom closet (circled in orange below) gets you nothing, as you won't be able to access that space and it's too narrow to hang anything anyway. I think you'd be better served to square off the closet and give your washer and dryer a bit more space on that wall.

That closet is the pantry, but I can see about squaring it off.

Agree with others that I'd delete the door to the stairs and between the bathroom and bedroom.

The door is to the basement stairs. I wouldn't feel comfortable removing it.

I like having a powder room off the mudroom, but as it's the only bathroom for the bedroom, walking around to get there will be awkward. I don't see a solution to that other than making room for a small PR accessed from the mudroom and a small bath with shower off the bedroom.

I'll consider this, I just didn't want to have so many bathrooms.

bpath -

I wonder…if the kitchen moved down, taking over the foyer hall, and the front door is moved to in front of the basement stairs, you eliminate a hallway, and add a convenient “friends and family“ entry, and no change in square footage.

This may work. Then, the guests could also use the mudroom for coats/shoes? I like how the front door is currently facing the driveway so I can see the nice front door as I drive up the long drive. Understandably, while seeing the front door would be nice and pretty it's probably not best for function.

MrsPete -

I'd recommend one large space where the family could comfortably gather ... with or without the TV + a smaller space that can be closed off (visually and acoustically). But right now you have three small spaces, none of which look comfortable. If you do away with the large entry near the fireplace, you'll have space to make one of these large.

The large entry near the fireplace? The 4-seasons room? I could make this a bit smaller, but this room is important to us. A space without a TV and large views of the backyard/farm.

Does someone work from home full-time? Could the smaller living space double as an office during the day? You're planning some too-small spaces, and this might be a place to find the needed square footage.

The 4-season room off the master is my home office. I work from home every day.

Nope, this space here -- it's a lot of wasted space:

I would defiantly be willing to change this space. We very rarely have visitors, but would still like a place for them to put their shoes and coats if we do have our parents or kids' friends over.

Try before you buy: Move a sofa or chair near the fireplace, as it is in your plan. Sit down and see whether you find it comfortable to bend your neck to watch the TV up high.

This is currently how we have our TV. It's not my favorite, but it's how my husband likes it. I'm trying to talk him into at least getting the TV mantel mount so it can extend down if I want it to.

• cpartist
    last year

We have the mantel mount and it works beautifully. Most nights we just watch the news from our dining area and then sit on the sofas to watch Jeopardy. For those we don't even bother lowering the Mantel Mount but when we watch a game or a movie, we definitely move it down.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

MrsPete, i grew up in a few houses with pocket doors. The only one that was ever an issue was when the puppies figured out how to open it. With good quality hardware, there is little reason for a pocket door to break any more than a normal door.

Then we have had different experiences. In addition to the always-broken bathroom door of my childhood, the pocket door between my family room and dining room broke years ago ... in spite of the fact it was rarely used.

That closet is the pantry, but I can see about squaring it off.

Yes, square it off. Unreachable corners are not a positive. Create a series of triangular shelves OUTSIDE the closet to use that space.

I'll consider this, I just didn't want to have so many bathrooms.

You have to have a bathroom for the master, a second for the MIL suite, and if you're putting the kids on two different levels, you'll need two bathrooms for them ... bringing you to a whopping 4 bathrooms. It's a lot to maintain and clean.

If this were my project, I'd put the kids' rooms all upstairs ... and have them share a bathroom, and I'd set up the master as a half bath + shower/tub area ... and arrange it so people would have access to the half bath on the main level. This would also remove the problem with the living space being sandwiched between bedrooms /making the main rooms dark.

The large entry near the fireplace? The 4-seasons room? I could make this a bit smaller, but this room is important to us. A space without a TV and large views of the backyard/farm.

Is that what that narrow space is? Wow, I mistook that. So that's a fourth living space. This could be so much better.

The 4-season room off the master is my home office. I work from home every day.
    No, that's not the space I meant ... I'm really confused. Regardless, you just don't have enough space in some areas of the house. I'd look into using this as your office during the day /family den at night. Something has to give somewhere.

I would be willing to change this space. We very rarely have visitors, but would still like a place for them to put their shoes and coats if we do have our parents or kids' friends over.
    Is this the foyer? Wow, this is a confusing plan.

This is currently how we have our TV. It's not my favorite, but it's how my husband likes it. I'm trying to talk him into at least getting the TV mantel mount so it can extend down if I want it to.

Don't build something you know you don't like!

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

A wood burning stove in a sunroom? A decent wood burning stove can heat a lot of house, and you are tucking it away in a closed off, corner room?