SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charding249

Please Critique This Floorplan

I posted another floor plan a while back, Banning Court. Since then I’ve read a lot and continued looking at floor plans. Whatever home I build will be my retirement house. I’ll be an empty nester. No grand kids as of yet. I do expect to have a dog or 2. My plan is to build in southern MS , near New Orleans. I do not have the land yet but I do not plan on purchasing in an HOA area. I first saw this plan on houseplans.com and then found the designer Period House Styles. I like the Italianate details, specifically the eaves brackets. They remind me of the row house I grew up in in Philly. But I plan to keep the exterior more in keeping with a southern wood clad home with a big veranda and shutters This specific style feels more familiar to me than the other southern vernacular styles I was looking at, even though I did like them.

My thoughts are that I would use the dining room as a parlor/living room. I like the idea of keeping the heart of the house for more familiar people. I would be using the master bedroom as my away space. I like to lounge, read, watch a lot of tv but don’t want to be in my bedroom all the time and also don’t want to be napping on the great room sofa all the time either.

I can take one of the upstairs bedrooms and if the stairs ever become too much, I can relocate to the 1st floor. But I want to uses stairs for as long as I can to maintain that ability. So that master bath on the 1st floor will have a zero entry shower with a shower bench and the upstairs bathroom will have a stand alone tub. I’d make that second powder room off of the nook into a small mud room. And those are really the only changes that jump out at me.

The plan seems like it has a good flow to me. The stairs don’t face the foyer and the powder room isn’t “in” a living space. I don’t have to go through a living space to get to the master bedroom from the front door. The kitchen work zone isn’t a more convenient path.

Comments (21)