SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
30years1moretime

Please critique floor plan

30years1moretime
6 years ago

This will be our second build. First time I was GC, hired subs for it all. This time, we're hiring the shell and will be doing the rest ourselves. The house is single story with a nice view out the south (living room) side. It's my husband and myself and our 4 dogs. The fireplace you see in the center of the house is actually a wood cook stove and boiler - which will supplement our hot water for in floor heat and provide heat when power is out. I realize it probably makes more sense to have the cook stove where I have the dining table, but I like the back wall it provides to living room for more wall space. The green/brown chunk in the living room is a desk area which I like to be in the main living space. We've created a huge pantry with room for washer/dryer and two freezers. I like a larger pantry and smaller kitchen because it saves on cabinet cost.

The problem here is that it prevents any windows on the north side of the house.
The center part of the house 24x38 will have either a shed roof starting at 10' or a gable with flat interior with either 10' or 12' walls. The east and west wings of the house will have 2 lower ceilings.
One idea we have for providing north light would be to have the pantry pocket door be glass with a window on the north wall. The other idea would be to only have the pantry room have an 8' ceiling - creating a loft above the pantry where we could place windows on the north wall. (ughh)
I'm also not thrilled yet, with the master bath. We only want one sink - more counter. And a decent shower and wonderful tub are a must.

Really looking forward to everyone's advice and critiques.

Comments (8)