SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_371395966

Home office setup help

Fey P.
last year

Hi all,

I need your advice for setting up my home office, where I will be receiving clients. I'm including pictures and a plan of office, with the walls named so we can better understand each other when referring to them.

Non negotiables : No painting the honey oak trim, nor the walls (SW Pediment at 40%, which is a soft taupe with warm undertones (greige), nor changing the hardwood floors (taupey with mocha and grey spots) or moving the hot water radiator under the window.

I also already have certain items, which I would like to keep and incorporate into my office setup:

1. Ikea Billy charcoal bookcases (2 open large ones, 1 large with doors and 2 smaller bookcases that have small cubes). I've already built these, as pictured, but have not yet anchored to wall nor added shelves, as I would like advice on which wall to put them against.
  2. If possible, I'd really like to incorporate the 2 dark blue velvet armchairs that I want to use for clients to sit on. They have brassy-gold legs. I have 2 identical ones, only 1 is pictured.

I am willing to change light fixtures if you think it will help. Open to all suggestions.

Not yet purchased, but need advice on : a desk; rug; various filing cabinets (at least 2), and end table to put between client chairs (so they can set purses and their personal objects on). Perhaps a coat hanger and some kind of lighting fixture.

You can ignore : everything you see on the wall with the ikea kallaxes, which is facing the wall the bookcases currently are on will be or can be removed- it's temporary. Same with objects on bay windows, the small beige bookcase at end of grey bookcases & art on floor which may or may not be used in this room.

I like :

• color and would like to have another accent color other than blue (the 2 armchairs, as I have other armchairs);
  • seeing the outdoors, so an office desk setup that allows me to is preferred;
  • plants

Consideration : In about a year, the current entryway (see plan & on pictures, it is door with hooks on it) where clients come in through will change. From then and on, clients will then come in from the other door (the one facing the bay window, to the left of where the painting is). Ideally, I'd like a setup that looks nice when entering from either door.

Please give me your advice on where to place what (include wall of bookcases), how to position furniture and what style of desk, rug, light fixture, filing cabinets, end table etc. you think would suit my room. I am open to many different styles. Thank you so much in advance 🙏🙏🙏

The bookcase is currently (temporarily) on wall A on my plan of the room:

Wall C:

Wall D (the door pictured to the left of the painting will be the future entryway for clients):

Better picture of floor color in my office (https://appalachianflooring.com/product/travertine-maple-e):

Picture of bookcase with shelves in them, ** this is not my space ** :

And finally, here is a plan of my office, I've named the walls, so we can better understand each other when referring to them :

Comments (9)