SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Haircut help...

I still remember Ellen E. from What Not to Wear and I liked her "after" haircut a lot, but I'll be darned if I can find an image on line of it. Apparently the full episodes are supposed to be available but only through paid streaming services of which I have none.

Right now I have a standard pixie, a little longer on top, which has worked well for a long time.

But I think I'd like to keep the front shorter, but let the back grow more so that my curls will show.

I've been searching for what I have in mind, but most end up being too spiky/shaggy/punk for my tastes vs. my hair which will actually create gentle waves if I let it.

This is the closest I've seen...a wig!

But it's still not quite right...what would you even call this to search for it?

I looked to Lauren Holly when she was at NCIS, but her cut was very spikey and choppy....not what I had in mind.

Any suggestions on what to search for or who might have such a cut that I could use as a reference?

Comments (52)

• last year

I was going to suggest searching women’s mullets as well! It’s a real trend right now so you might find a look you like.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked legomom23
  • last year

Funny, I was just thinking Sarah Paulsen's haircut was cute when I came upon this AD video yesterday. Is this sort of what you mean, although her hair is less curly?

Peek Inside Sarah Paulson’s Cozy Malibu Hideaway | Architectural Digest

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Sueb20
  • last year

Yes mullet is more like what I'm looking for. A lot of the cuts are close cropped in the back and longer on top...I want to do the reverse, leaving it longer and fuller in the back.

Not this as this is similar to what I have now:

• last year

I like the wig one. But the differences in what you are showing are pretty minor. The stylying you do could be as important as the cut to get the various looks. Do you like your hairstylist? id show her all these pics and ask her advice, since she knows your hair and she can also tell you what it takes on your part to get that look?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • last year

I also like the wig style. i would definitely go with longer bangs. i would show the pic to your stylist and explain about the longer back.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Tina Marie
  • last year

What you are wanting in the back, from what I can tell from your description is acheived with a razor cut. Not all stylists feel comfortable with razor cutting, but some can acheive the same effect with scissors--this is usally an older and very experienced stylist as this is a techique we were well versed in 'back then' but has been forgotten about in present day. I think if you can get your bulk properly layered and somewhat thinned in the back, your curls will be able to do their thing. Also, Lisa R has a good example of what to bring for your example image like mentioned above. Not that you need to, but mention that you have curls back there if cut 'just so' and you were told Lisa R's style was a good reference even though her hair is straighter than yours. Hope you get what you are hoping for!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked SEA SEA
  • last year

Another vote for the wig style.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Allison0704
  • last year

There are a lot of bangs in these styles. Do they work with curly hair? I had bangs between about 30 and 40. The do solve the problem of keeping hair out of your face.

My hair covers my ears in front and is shorter in back. A few months ago my stylist cut the entire back so short that I was even cold in bed! I can fasten the longer front straight back with a comb at the crown -- covers a growing thin spot -- or I can leave my natural side part and tuck the ends of the front behind my ears. My hair is white around my face and darker grey elsewhere.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked chisue
  • last year
    last modified: last year

Look at images of ”stacked bob” or ”curley stcked bob.”

And then modify! No long sides. And you said that you want it sharter on top.

Consider how thick or thin your hair is. Some bob styles want thicker heads of hair. Take advantage of your nice curls. Just some ideas:

But could you handle the fame? ;-)

I used to have TS’s style when I had more hair. Then C-19 and I have not had my hair trimmed but by myself and DH — we each chose a side to work on.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked petalique
  • last year

Another vote for ”the wig style”!

Like Mtn suggested you could bring pics to your stylist as she knows your hair texture etc and would be best at knowing what would work.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Irish2
  • last year

Where is that ”wig style” shown?

• last year

FWIW, I got a really nice cut when I brought this pic in to my salon - it's from the 70s - remember shags?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • last year

Cute haircut. I think shags only worked with medium-fine hair with wave.

• last year

ADN we've got the same hair, LOL! I tried to grow it out recently for old times sake. Family protests grew louder through the awkward stage, and when I realized I hadn't left the house without searching for a cap in like a month, I caved.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked foodonastump
  • last year

If you are adept with a blow dryer and a brush, you might achieve something like this:

If you aren’t or don’t want to fuss with it, it might look more like this

Or maybe this? But with slightly shorter bangs:

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Olychick
  • last year

I think you need a hybrid of a few of the styles. Your hair is not as thick as what you ar showing in your inspirational pictures.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • last year

I'd ask your stylist for a style that works with your waves. The wig is nice, but you'd have to use a lot of heat and product to get it, if your self photo is any indication. I say this after a few years of forcing my naturally wavy hair into a straight style. It's time consuming and damaging to my hair. I'm going back to working with the waves.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Feathers11
  • last year

This is a screenshot from a Beth Djalai video on how to style a pixie. I thought maybe the style in the pink/red sweater is close but she definitely keeps her front long - which looks great on her.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked rubyclaire
  • last year

The description of your haircut sounds like Meg Ryan from the late 90s, early 00s. Although the haircuts Olychick posted are like that but tidier.

If that's the haircut you're seeking, I think it's referred to as a short shag.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • last year

Annie, i found a couple of cute ones by googling. I’ve always loved Meg Ryan’s haircuts. I think this first one would work with the top being a little shorter for your preference. I have no idea who is in the 2nd photo and it may be too curly on top for you. I’m not much help since i have straight fine hair.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • last year

More with wavy curls from my collection of pics:

An old one of Charlize Theron:

And this is Emily Bazelon - also going way back:

P.S. I believe this cut can be called a layered bob or a stacked bob...?

• last year

Something like this? I’m not sure what it would be called.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked niccidhg
  • last year

I love this one on Charlize. Here are a couple more that might lean toward what you are describing. I think it would be wonderful to lean into your natural wave/ curl.

• last year

One more - this is so pretty, imo. Would your hair do this if you let it grow a bit longer ?

• last year

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions....a lot to look at and think about. Most appreciated!

Feathers, I don't think it would take a lot of product or work. The curls in my self picture are natural. But my hair has a lot of body. 30 sec of blow drying with my head upside down and I can get it to go straight without a problem. When I have let the back go a little longer to get some curls, I only needed to scrunch and let air dry to get the waves.

Eld, you are right that I have very little hair so styling it with many that are shown would be a challenge. The only good thing is my hair is denser in the back. I think that's why i think a little bit longer in the back with curls would be doable, but keep the sides and top shorter where the hair is less dense so it doesn't just go stringy.

Chisue, yes these all have bangs as do I. I can blow them straight without problem. I have a "4 finger" forehead and prefer bangs to without. Also the bangs help cover my "expression lines" in my forehead. Better than botox!! :)

• last year

Bobs don't work for me as the curl in my hair is directional, and for bobs, it's always in the wrong direction! That's why a layered look that lets the curls run would work better.

I don't have a regular hairdresser. I spend about the least you can spend on one's hair and still get it done. I go to one of the clip joints, hopefully with a coupon, and take who's ever there. I had one gal who I really liked how she did my hair, but she moved out of state. Haven't found anyone else I like as much yet.

At this point, I think, regardless, I'm going to have to let it grow for awhile before it's long enough to shape into something like what I have in mind.

• last year

Annie, I have a similar perspective on hair care ;)

It’s good that you have body and curls. I bet you can take your fingers and scrunch curl it when it’s damp or in humid weather. ??

So maybe that style that Olychick posted above:

You could have the front a bit shorter, but still wavy and covering your forhead a bit. I don’t think this needs a blow dryer — just some scrunching when it’s damp to take advantage of you natural curls.

• last year

Funny, olychick, but I was talking to the hair dresser at my clip joint and she said she used to work at a fancy salon, but that with the limited number of clients scheduled, she actually made more money at the clip joint where she got less in each tip but would see a lot more clients. And considering hair grows out all the time, I'd rather pay <$20 for a haircut than, as some do, pay $300 and up and still need to do it again in a few weeks. I also don't color or perm my hair. It is what it is. If I couldn't get my hair to look reasonable with little care, I probably would probably make different choices. But I'm happy with how it is in general: Shampoo, conditioner, towel dry, 30 seconds blow dry. I'm just looking for a bit of a change for the halibut....seeing where my curls might take me.

Once, many years ago, I went to a Sassoon trained person at a large, fancy salon and spent the big bucks. I wasn't any happier with the outcome and never went back.

• last year

Sometimes it takes a lot of moving around to find someone you can make you look your best.

Sometimes you can be withnavstylist for many years and then it's no longer working.

My sister goes to a special stylist for her curly hair as Oly suggested.

You can always go to an expensive place, then a follow up your clip jointand have her copy it.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • last year

I saw a picture of Judge Judy on this thread yesterday but I don't see it today. I loved Judge Judy's haircut! Not the one she sports now, but the former one.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Suzieque
  • last year

Suzieque, Judge Judy's old style just looks old to me....it's how my mother and her friends wore their hair forever...with their weekly set, regular perms and lots of spray. I'm glad she changed it up -- I suspect going RBG style -- but am not a fan of what she chose for herself. (though I am a fan of RBG, may she RIP.)

• last year

Annie, I have fine textured wavy hair with tighter curls in the back. What has worked for me is longer layers to allow the hair to make a rotation or two, and therefore provide movement. I would suggest you grow the top layers out a few inches and direct the layers down instead of up. In all the current styles I've seen the top is directed down and/or forward, even with waves. Modern styles that direct the crown upwards like yours have a much tighter curl and coarser texture to hold the height. Then scrunch the sides and the back for curl. I blot my hair with a towel without loops and don't blow dry.

This is a really cute short layered style. Have you tried a side part to give more volume to the bangs? Here you want the bangs to have more weight to pull the curl out so they sweep across and don't flip up.

Just found out her name is Jennifer Nettles and she has several nice looks. Her longer, non-layered hair is wavy.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Eileen
  • last year

longer layers to allow the hair to make a rotation or two

My hair is like this too. The waves are too loose to look good short. It just makes a mushroom shape or it flips out. My best look is shoulder length or longer. The tighter your curls are, the shorter you can go.

Personally most layering techniques don't work for me -- it winds up looking like I put a short wig on top of longer hair. I tell the stylist to not layer it, but rather "chip into it" for texture.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked User
  • last year

I was looking at something else, but spotted this transformative hair cut from this stylist named Theo. He’s like the Cesar Milan of hair and physical geometry.

This is quite the improvement. This is likely what Olychick was pointing out upthread.

I don't want to look old so make me a Sparkling Pixie hairstyle! Anne by T.K.S. - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHfKcDRdhIU

• last year

petalique, that haircut he gave Anne in the video is very similar to what I have now.

• last year

Disclaimer: not a hair style expert.

Found a few images of "wolf cut" that sounded a little like what you describe.

"The wolf haircut is a mix between a vintage shag and a slight mullet. Essentially, it's like taking two different periods (the '70s shag and '80s mullet) and smashing them together into a modern-day look."

https://www.instyle.com/hair/wolf-haircut-trend

Annie Deighnaugh thanked pricklypearcactus
  • last year

Annie, I wondered. I like it. But I gather you’re just wanting to change your hair cut a bit, try something different.

• last year

I like the pixie in the video too. Annie have you tried growing your bangs and sides a bit so they would be a little straighter as they look in the video and some of the other photos with waves? I think you would look nice with some softness. You could still grow some length further in back for the curlier look you want.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked OutsidePlaying
  • last year

Growing out a short hairstyle is aggravating - I know this from experience!

FWIW, I haven't had short hair since 2020 and I do miss it. I used to get it cut only a 2-3 times a year, and I loved having a choppy/layered bob, because it grew out nicely for months before I needed to go back again. The salon I went to closed during the pandemic, and I have no idea what happened to the young woman who used to cut my hair. It seems always such a quest to find someone who does what I like.

• last year

@petalique that first pic you shared is similar to my cut. Longish layers and bangs and I just recently had the neckline cut shorter. I had more of a bob before that. My hair is thick and pretty wavy although I wouldn't say curly. It looks curlier after I add product and I let it dry almost all the way on it's on, then use the dryer to "fluff". I love my stylist, have been going to her for years!!

I do think too short bangs are a bit aging to us. My MIL has a short do, and it's a nice cut if she would only let her bangs grow! Her hair is pretty straight but the short layered cut she has looks really good other than not only are her bangs too short, but she takes a round brush and curls them under.

I remember seeing Jane Fonda the other day and thinking her hair looked good, but I cannot remember how it was cut!

• last year

I found this version of Lauren Holly that was less choppy and is more like what I'm thinking of... I guess it is a mullet of sorts...

• last year

Jane Fonda wears wigs and the problem with trying to copy wig styles is the volume of hair is much greater than a natural head. Of course, if you shave your head and buy REALLY expensive wigs they look pretty natural, but that look is almost impossible to replicate on someone's head.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Olychick
  • last year

Haha Oly (re shaving your head)! I didn't realize she wore wigs.

• last year

I had the exact haircut many years ago as shown in the video. I liked that look. However, I have had a blunt bob for the last gazillion years now. I look at pics of me holding my baby grandson and he's now 25 and I have the exact hair. (only grey) I have wavy hair which I hate and envy people with straight hair, Since getting a botched job at a salon many years ago, I have since cut my own hair. If I screw up, I only have myself to blame. My daughter does do a light layering in the middle of the back.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lily316
  • last year

Thought of you when i spotted this magazine at checkout today.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Irish2
  • last year

I agree with Outside regarding longer bangs. Most of the cuter styles shown here have longer, sideswept bangs. They’re easy to straighten out.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • last year

Love Sally Fields cut.

Agree on the bangs. My two best girl friends wear their bangs way too short, I swear they look 10 years older because of it.

• last year

This is my favorite (recommended by Oly)....start growing those pretty curls😜.