SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeep828

Window treatment help for ground floor

NA
last year

My family recently purchased a new home and all of the bedrooms and common spaces are on the ground level. I’m trying to figure out the best window treatments that will still allow light in but also give us privacy. I also have young kids so I’m trying to ensure the window coverings are functional, easy to use, and dark at night.

For the bedrooms, I’m considering:

1. Black out curtains with shades (roller, cellular or Roman). Pros: Looks great; Cons: shades are impossible for little kids to open and close since they can’t reach them, which means they’ll stay closed all the time. Would I do a sheer shade to help with this issue?

2. Black out curtains plus top down bottom up shades (either light blocking or sheer). The only con of this is how it would look. Would this look okay?

3. Double curtains with black out curtains and sheers behind. Pros: easy for young kids to open and close the sheers; Cons: are double curtains with sheers acceptable and in style?

Same general questions apply to our ground family room that faces the neighbors’ house, though we don’t need light blocking here. Shades vs curtains vs both, top down bottom up vs standard.

Would love any and all feedback! Thank you.

Comments (3)