SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
party_music50

Summer Savory?

party_music50
last year

I've never knowingly tried summer savory. Who uses it and how do you use it? Is it a flavor that is very distinctive? Would it stand out in an herb mix as something special or different? is it the kind of herb that you can substitute for easily? and more important: is it worth growing?! :)

Comments (15)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

IMPE, it tastes very much like thyme and makes a good substitute.

party_music50 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    last year

I can't imagine my kitchen without it. But, yes, it is much like thyme. Side-by-side you will notice a difference especially fresh. Much easier to harvest though. Also, like thyme, it is excellent dried.

In a poaching liquid, say, for fish, it permeates such a nice herbal note. I even add a tsp in my water for cooking potatoes.

party_music50 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • shambo
    last year

I use it a lot, especially when I've gotten tired of oregano. Sometimes I want something different than a traditional Italian herby blend. I use it in bean soups and also in tomato-based dishes. I think it's a great addition to a kitchen herb/spice collection. But I've never grown it myself. That sounds like a fun experiment.

party_music50 thanked shambo
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    last year

I made lamb Kofta friday and can't imagine it without savory. White beans on the stovetop at the moment with summer savory in the cooking water. Tomato soup for dinner tonight would not be the same without.

It isn't a hit-you-in-the-face herb like rosemary. More a subtle back note like a bay leaf. And the kitchen smells ama-sing right now. (my key in that word is stuck) my 'o' is giving me three o's each tap, 🙄

party_music50 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • l pinkmountain
    last year

It's a bean herb. I use it in my Dutch split pea soup. Easy to grow.

party_music50 thanked l pinkmountain
  • party_music50
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you all so much for your responses!!! Everything that everyone said makes perfect sense to me and answered every question I might have. I made a mixed bean soup yesterday and it would have been a perfect time to try summer savory! but I didn't have any to try. :p

This question came about because I got off on a tangent yesterday with my BF who mentioned an herb mix called Bouquet Garni that was made by Spice Islands in the 1970s. I'd never heard of it, but he said he loved to use it and had never found another herb mix like it. I went off searching the net and found this copycat recipe... naturally, it calls for Summer Savory. :O)

Here's a link to the original post from 2013, but it cannot be viewed in all browsers: Bouquet Garni copycat at HeartValvePatient.org:

Spice Islands Bouquet Garni
    2 parts each:
    oregano (Greek)
    savory (summer savory)
    marjoram

1 part each:
    rosemary
    basil
    sage (rubbed)
    thyme
    dill weed
    tarragon

I currently don't have summer savory or marjoram, but I was thinking of making a mix anyway without them, and possibly increase the oregano and thyme as a substitute.

• CA Kate z9
    last year

Interesting recipe. I am wondering if they used dried and mixed it up, or fresh and then dried. ??? Or, if all used fresh and tied together? ( I read the link you posted and it doesn't really say. I'd guess dried but not sure. )

I don't think the Savory and Marjoram are replacable. They have distinctive flavors that would be hard to substitute. Having said that, that doesn't mean that you can't make your own mix and be happy with it.

party_music50 thanked CA Kate z9
  • plllog
    last year
    last modified: last year

Kate said exactly what I was thinking, but said it better. With all the strong flavors in the mix, savory could be overpowered, but also could be sorely missed in its absence while not so noticed in its presence. Marjoram is very distinctive. Spice islands in the ’70’s would have been dry chopped herbs, added directly to the pot, not removed later.

A classic bouquet garni is thyme, bay and parsley tied together to be easily removed from the pot, including just about any other herb in the (French) garden that sounds good. (Dried can be put in a tea ball or ”sock”.) Spice Islands, back in the day, sometimes chose romantic or aspirational names, so I'm not really doubting the recipe on that front, but dill? Are they just sweeping the floor? The basil also sticks out for me as a wallflower who isn't sure she wants to dance with the other guests.

So, given that your BF has never found something else that fits the bill, I'd say it's worth buying a couple packets of the dry herbs you don't have and making up the recipe as written. You're trying to bring out a sense memory, and aroma (flavor) is the stongest benign kind.

You can also make up your blends, to suit yourself, always. Your BF might even like them better. :)

party_music50 thanked plllog
  • party_music50
    Original Author
    last year

Ok, I’ll trust you both! I won’t make the mix until I have all of the required ingredients. :)

• CA Kate z9
    last year

I haven’t grown Summer Savory for several years, but I think I will this year. I use to grow Terragon too. I think I’ll try again.

Fresh Rosemary abd fresh Sage can be overpowering, and Basil can disappear. I think I’d have to watch those. Fresh Dill, newly dried. can add a nice back flavor. I’m a little surprised that there is no Bay Laural.

• l pinkmountain
    last year

Ironically I used to have an ancient bottle of that Spice Islands blend. I don't quite remember what was in it, but I doubt tarragon since I don't like it. But I can see dill, since i have an equally ancient vegetable dip recipe that calls for sour cream and Bouquet Garni. Dill is a pretty common ingredient in a vegetable dip. A lot of those spices aren't in a classic bouquet garni although I know there are no hard and fast rules.

• agmss15
    last year

I love winter savory - hot like thyme. According to a Bulgarian friend used a lot in their cuisine. Summer savory is less spicy and more herbal. I like it too. Hmmm - maybe an addition to my seed wish list...

• CA Kate z9
    last year

Interesting article, Agmss.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional