SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

LED Light Temperatures - What to Use in Kitchen & Other Rooms

Buehl
last year
last modified: last year

Good morning (or afternoon or evening, depending on where you are)!

We are switching our halogen recessed lights in our Kitchen to LEDs. The LEDs have the following five options:

• 5000K – Daylight
  • 4000K – Bright White
  • 3500K – Neutral White
  • 3000K – Soft White
  • 2700K – Warm White

I have heard/read over and over from the Pros & other knowledgeable members that 4000K seems to be the preferred temperature. I've included a picture of my Kitchen (which many long time posters have probably seen many times!)

What would the other temperatures be used for?

We will be replacing most incandescent and halogen bulbs with LED, so what temperature would you recommend for the following rooms?

• Kitchen - General recessed lights
  • Kitchen - Task lighting under the cabinets
  • Kitchen - Task lighting over primary Prep Zone
  • Kitchen - Pantry
  • Kitchen - Vent-a-Hood lights (3 of them)
  • Bathrooms
  • Bedrooms
  • Family/Living Room
  • Dining Room
  • Garage/Work Room

Pics - taken in 2008 or so (shortly after our Kitchen was completed sans backsplash).

As you can tell, our Kitchen is "Transitional" and the house a typical 90's style.

We may be re-painting as well -- any color suggestions that go along with the lighting question? It's very bright as it is -- both daytime & evening. (Most of the Yorktowne items are gone as part of our décor.)

Note: I will be posting later asking for backsplash help. The one I picked out years ago does not appear to be available any more (Jeffrey Court Pietra Opus II Chapter 9) and it's dated (although I still like it with the addition of the amber glass). [I mention this in case it has any bearing on the LED temperature question.]

Comments (23)