SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Soup making - Beef Barley etc. plus any random cooking discussions

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

I am making Beef Barley soup for the first time, using this recipe. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023122-slow-cooker-beef-and-barley-soup

They have you throw the beef, barley and veggies in at the beginning, for 6-8hours in a slow cooker. I am wondering if this is advised simply for ease or if it is best practice.

I have a few questions:

1. I do not like my veggies mushy. Recipe suggests cut them large so they survive 6 hrs. I'd rather cut them normally, saute in EVOO, and add over the last 30 min. or so? They will be imbued with less of the soup's flavor, and vice versa, but have a more distinct taste, no?

2. After an experience years ago where the wild rice ate all my soup, I tend to cook any starches separately, and put some in each bowl before ladling over the soup. That solves the absorption problem and, like the veggies, the barley will then be imbued with less of the soup's flavor, and vice versa, but have a more distinct taste, no?

However, something I read indicates that sometimes you want the starch in the soup in order to thicken it. I like a lighter soup that is more brothy.

When would you add the pearl barley or would you keep it separate?

Thanks!

Comments (47)