SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louroberts

Help with floor color to tie together different elements in great room

louroberts
last year
last modified: last year

We have a Spanish/California Mission style home. We are getting ready to refinish our narrow plank red oak floorng and replacing the baseboards. It is a open concept house which includes the living room, family room, dinning room and kitchen - all one open area. The walls are painted Elmira White. Right now the color of the wood floor is Sedona Red. There are three large sliding glass doors, two small doors and two large arched windows. They are all a light wood and the casings around them and baseboards are a dark reddish brown. The kitchen, laundry room and guest bathroom have a Mexican saltillo terracotta style floor. The kitchen island is a natural walnut. One side of the island connects to the tile in the kitchen and the other side connects to the living room and the rest of the great room. We will not be changing the tile or the island. I think I may want to go with a lighter color on the floor to brighten our open concept (maybe go with the light color of the wood windows and doors and keep the baseboards and casings dark. But I am not completely sold on going with a light color on the wood floors beause I think most Spanish style homes with wood floors are usually a dark color). I would like to have a more cohesive look and am wondering what color I should stain the floor to try and tie in these disparate areas? Thanks for any suggestions you may have. I am including some pictures.

Comments (10)