SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hewitt80

Trying to pull all the design elements together: Input Sought

Cheryl Hewitt
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

(x-post because I accidentally posted this on House Decorating)

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the final decisions for our kitchen design and could use some input. Our cabinets have been ordered, the granite, sinks, faucets, and appliances have been purchased.

Our house is postmodern design, built in 1988. We have a super funky dining room chandelier that's kind of sputnik style with five 6-7" clear glass globes that is original to the house. Our style is transitional, with both traditional and contemporary elements. I feel like we've departed from the spirit of the house with our kitchen design, so I'm trying to bring in some contemporary elements.

(links go to larger images of things in the collage)

DEFINITES:

Cabinets: Woodland, Cherry with caramel stain, shaker, slab top drawers

Perimeter countertop: American Black granite, suede

Islands countertops: Blue Ray, polished

Flooring: Mannington Adura Max Planks Meridian in porcelain

Sinks: Elkay e-granite, black

LEANING TOWARDS:

Range hood: Vent-a-hood, 42" Black River with SS banding (*tentative) Personally I prefer the stainless steel with mirrored stainless steel banding, but not only does my BF prefer the Black River, it is also quite a bit less expensive. I expect we'll end up going with the black hood.

Barstools: Amisco Derek Counter Swivel Metal Stool 26-inch (*tentative)

Chandelier: VONN Lighting Black Finish Acrylic and Aluminum 29-inch LED Adjustable Suspension Two-tier Chandelier (*tentative)

The kitchen will have an 8' x 4' bumped out window on the sink wall and on the opposite wall there is a slider and we're adding a stationary glass pane on the right side. I'm unsure of the dimensions, but I believe it's something like 3' x 7.5'. The room runs east and west, so early morning and evening light make the room glow, but neither end gets a direct hit.

The refrigerator, dishwasher, and refrigerator drawers will be paneled. The ovens are Wolf M series with SS trim and black glass in the doors.

The floor plan:

I got my niece's input on all of these elements and she thought that the barstools were too angular and she'd swap them for something with softer lines. I get that, but I'd like some other opinions, too.

Reasons why I liked them:

• mimic shape of chandelier,
  • pull in cooler colors to add some modern touches,
  • they have a back but still fit under the countertop so the kids [ages (2) 10, (2) 13, 15] won't be smacking the granite with the seat back,
  • the fabric seats can be reupholstered at a later date if needed, and
  • they have really high reviews for weight of stool, comfort, and durability.

I know we have a lot of dark elements going on in this kitchen. I'm counting on the big windows and light flooring to compensate.

The backsplash is my main dilemma. There are so many options and I'm sure many of them would be great.

We are considering using a slab of the Blue Ray granite on the cooktop wall. We could run it all the way to the ceiling behind the hood, or from counter to the bottom of the hood. We could do it behind the cooktop only, or we could do the entire wall, because it's not that much space. We're waiting on a price quote. I'm undecided about the look.

Oh, there will be a pot filler.

I am leaning towards stacked tile pattern to help bring in a contemporary element.

Tile considerations (there have been so many - I think we like too many things!)

6" x 24" White Gloss Ceramic Tile (really like the gray grout - maybe even darker than shown)

2" x 6" White Glass Subway - maybe paired (focal point behind cooktop?) with the mosaic tile below

Random size Marble and Glass Mosaic

4" x 8" White Gloss Subway, Ceramic

I like the idea of the wide format glass tile. It would be easier to clean and it would really add a contemporary feel.

I'm not dead set on white, but it seems the simplest. We like the look of white tile with gray grout on the ceramic tiles (not necessarily with the glass tile).

I wonder if a light grey would work better, or if going the opposite direction with a dark glass might be the way to go. Or perhaps a charcoal or taupe.

I need help.

Comments (42)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor