SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lotties_gw

Input please on how to pull kitchen together (pics now work)

LottieS
12 years ago

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc490/fredjsue/

Persevered and I think the above link should work. Still happy to learn how to embed. I had posted earlier of how frustrated I was by the kitchen and I was asked to add pictures. So I am taking the plunge.

Love the cork floor. It is warm, soft to stand on and I love the fact that it is "green". So far the floor gives great support when I stand-I had absolutely no back problems after baking, cooking etc.

This project is not a total kitchen makeover. Prior to discovering this site we had taken down the wall between a small dining room and my 8ft by 10ft kitchen to allow more light, add a peninsula and more storage space. My husband did not want to remove our cabinets so he cleaned them up and re-stained them the same color as that is the color he loves. We had and have kept to a $8,000.00 budget by doing most of the work ourselves. My mistake was wanting both a warm and shiny kitchen without a real vision of how all the elements go together. We both loved the Romano Blanco granite and i wanted a MOP back-splash or recylcled glass-I ended up with recycled tiles that have a soft iridescence with hints of blue, violet and yellow. Originally i was going to add accent tiles but after they came in with an error decided to forgo them. To pull it more together I painted the kitchen the same color as the dining room, painted the window trim white (it had been stained) and tiled around the window. I picked out very simple pendants that fit in with the light fixture in the dining room and added light nickel hardware. We still have not finished putting in the hardware, putting the floor trim in or hanging the lights. Would a blue color on the walls pull it more together? I would be willing to stain the peninsula (darker?) my dh will go along with that but not the other cabinets as he worked hard on them and really wanted them the way they are. I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Comments (48)

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

Just a quick post to put a clickable link here so it will open in a new window. Sometimes with photobucket, it's hard to get back.

LottieS's photos

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

Your undertones are fighting, You've got orange cabinets, a brown/orange floor, a pinky beige counter, and a bluish white/beige backsplash and yellow walls that just reinforce the orange and fight badly with the backsplash and counter. The floor and cabinets just reinforce the orange rather than making it less apparent. Together they are overpowering. One of them has to change to make this work. I'd have to say that although your husband just finished redoing your cabinets, I'd gelstain them darker with a cooler tone like the General Finishes Java. That would make the browner tones of the floor be more dominant than the orange ones and it would work well with your counters. Then, if you got rid of the yellow walls and picked a cool toned blue, aqua, or green for the walls, it would all pull together without changing anything else.

• Related Discussions

Help me pull my room together...please?

Q

Comments (8)
    You have a nice room to work with! I like the existing wall color you already have.. I'd be tempted to leave it :) Instead of making the long wall the "Wow" wall, instead I would make the accent walls the two shorter ones at each end. The Fireplace wall and the wall behind your kitchen table. I like the window treatment you used behind the sofa.. in the rust color. I'd do something similar flanking both sides of the fireplace. Bring in the Celery color you like in the fabric. Look for a fabric with the Celery color in it from the Rug and the rust color in it to tie it in with your other curtains. I'd remove the pedestal things that are on either side of the fireplace. They will distract from your main focal point Your decorated fireplace Mantel . If you want to paint any of the walls the Celery color that is in the rug..I'd do both of the short walls. The fireplace wall and the wall behind the kitchen table. I'd leave both sides of the long walls alone. Love your sofa! Perhaps a Celery colored Throw tossed over the back? I see you have a green throw? possibly in the black chair.. maybe one that matches the exact color in the rug. Also when choosing the green paint, make sure it is dark, rich enough to hold it's own against your rich mocha walls. But not too dark LOL I love the color of the rectangle square in the carpet. The smaller rectangle shape. Not the green on the ottoman cubes, that is more of the sage, olivey green. I really like that rich Celery in the rug. I'd just try to match it exactly and paint the short walls with it and call it a day Maybe someone can do a mock up for you. I'd rather see the rich Celery than a red/rust on the walls. Just to keep it more airy, but yet rich looking! Good Luck!
    ...See More

Please help me pull this bath redo together? (Lots of pics)

Q

Comments (23)
    Lyfia, I thought about your great idea and stood there and sized up the situation. I think that is beyond my meager capabilities and the chair rail would come right in the middle of it. I wish I'd thought of it before I put up the wainscoting, and maybe then I'd have had a fighting chance at it, but not now. Lukkirish, I will, thanks. Here is what keeps haunting me about this job. I have a leftover (from previous home) partial roll of wallpaper here that I adore, that looks fab with the Mucha. It's an arts and crafts pattern. I just keep coming back to wanting to use this paper. [](http://tinypic.com?ref=2woja78) The problem is, I don't have enough of it for the job, even with not going over the bathtub area. I have looked and looked and can't find anything out there like it. So the question is, could I put up narrow margin molding frames on the upper walls and put this paper inside them, then paint the paper's background color on the rest of the wall? Or the lighter beige\-peach featured in the first picture here? Or with the wainscoting would that look too choppy? Here is an example of a framed wallpaper panel: [](http://tinypic.com?ref=vkxae) What if I did it ONLY behind the Mucha and nowhere else in the room? What do you think?
    ...See More

Help me pull this crazy room together (pic)

Q

Comments (24)
    While many different WTs would work, it's most important to determine what your light control and privacy needs are. As it looks like a lot of sunlight is streaming in the DR plus you have two windows to either side of the TV, I think you would benefit from putting in woven blinds that filter the light rather than block it out. If you require total privacy then the woven blinds wouldn't cut it alone. However, you can put a lining if needed and/or pair it with panels, which would be my choice in your situation. Though your windows have varying heights I would hang at the same height and stack them to the sides of the windows so when open, you can enjoy the view outside. For the windows flanking the fireplace, I would just put the panels on the outer side of each window and pull off to that side. If you can get by without the need to open/close the drapes, then you won't need as many panels as you would otherwise and since some of your windows and the slider are quite wide, that would be my first choice. Stationary panels would also work best given I see you have a floor register under at least one of the windows. Though you did not ask about your rooms, I also would suggest adding an area rug in the DR, something darker, so as create a division between the similar wood tones of floor and table. Mine used to be like that before I added a rug and it's a huge improvement. It's hard to tell from your pictures whether it'd be better to move the DR light fixture or the table. I think it might look nice if there is room to move the table to the right and add a low buffet below the window. Perhaps something in a dark or painted wood to add more interest to the area. Lovely home!
    ...See More

Please help me pull this pulled from dumpsters' bedroom together

Q

Comments (21)
    Greywings, I have been coveting glass lamps lately so that is a great place to see if a small change would help! Jrueter, that looks great! I will show DH for all I could find last night were white washed walls. Thanks Grandmaof3, Accents are a great idea too. I will be honest I would love to like the room with just a change of paint color and a few small accents! Nosoccermom, I love the pics you posted and the natural pine is soooo lovely. I think mine might take a bit of sanding but I can try on the smaller pieces first! I already have an eggplant hall and navy guest bedroom abutting this room:( Maybe I will change the guest to grey and use the navy here! I am going to try a few paint samples on sat. to try and find a paint color first and after that if the pine pieces still make me say meh I will than decide how to change them out. Would a blue grey work the present comforter has dark grey with silver and robins egg accents. But I was afraid that a light blue might bring even more yellow undertones out of the wood. Thanks again!
    ...See More
  • jane__ny
    12 years ago

What color is your backspash? On my monitor it appears shiny white.

I had similar color cabinets, with white counters and white tile floor. I painted the walls BM Shaker Beige which seemed to tone down the yellow and make the cabinets less prominent. I had stainless appliances and high ceilings, but the wall color really helped tone down the yellow cabinets.

Jane

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

I am with LWO about painting the walls, although I think something in a palish grey that is close to the greyist of your tiles might work best, especially where the granite meets the wall on the peninsula counter.

You might also want to consider painting your refrigerator black. I don't think as a matter of principle that all appliances need to match. With the wall removed from your DR, however, the white bulk of the refrigerator really stands out from the DR perspective. It would recede a bit if black. (I have never painted a refrigerator, but a google search makes it look like cleaning, sanding, masking, and painting, i.e., a bit labor intensive but not tricky.)

I know this leaves you without the warmth you had hoped for, but you could use "warm" bulbs in your pendents and put maybe add a red kettle on your stove or similar size accessories for contrast.

• cawaps
    12 years ago

I'm going to have to agree with Marolo that the tile is the problem (although I would have phased it more tactfully). The tile is so very, very...Shiny. And your kitchen is not enhanced by...Shiny. Everything else is kind of homey and comforable, and then there's the tile that's dressed for prom night with the sequins and taffeta. It doesn't help that it reads slightly pinkish (more so than the counter, to me), which kind of clashes with the cabinets and walls. Are the tiles slightly iridescent? It is hard to pin down the color looking at the pics.

Maybe I've been looking at the design around golden oak thread for too long, but I'm okay with the cabinet color, and I think it works with the floor color. In the pics, if you cover up the yellow walls, the tile looks better with the cabs, and if you cover up the tile, the wall color looks better with the cabs. But all three together really don't work. I like LWO's suggestions for paint. Maybe a blue-gray? Something opposite orange on the color wheel, but it can be a muted color.

But I don't see an easy solution to the shiny tile. Changing other things can make it look a bit better, but I'm sorry, I don't think it is ever going to look good in that setting. (Sorry to say it, because I'm sure you chose it because you really liked it. Unfortunately liking something doesn't always mean it with work with other things you like).

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I like the oak but would have preferred it darker. I also understand wanting to respect DH's wishes but sometimes people are wrong. If he won't restain, then I'm sorry to say that the backsplash won't work no matter what other finishes you change. Actually, I'm even sorrier to say that I don't think that your pretty choice on it's own works with your golden hued counter. I don't see the pink undertones in your countertop on my monitor. Given all the options; I would bite the bullet, take down the backsplash and paint for now if budget is a constraint. If you're careful; perhaps you can reuse the tile in one of your bathrooms. I like shiny and irridesant, just not with that counter. For paint color; I'd also recommend a grayish color to tone down the orange. We used a SW color made up in BM Aura called Lattice. It's a taupey gray with blue/green undertones. Kind of changes with the time of day and lighting.

Good luck!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I would start with the paint color. It's the cheapest/easiest to do and will make a big difference. Remodelfla might be on to something with the BM Aura. I would repaint and post again to see where you are. You'll get there!

• LottieS
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback but I do want to add there is absolutely no pink or beige anywhere-it must be the pictures. The tiles have soft blues, violets and yellows. The countertop is white with soft blue grays, fushia dots, white lumenescent patches and very occasional rust/brown small sections. The tiles and countertop IRL look fine together. I agree with everyone that the splash doesn't go with the rest of the kitchen. My daughter had been very ill but had surgery, treatment etc and is now doing well. I think I wanted some real "shine" at the time and kept being drawn to mpo backsplashes but could not afford the mpo, recycled glass tiles etc. It probably didn't help that I was going back and forth from the east to west coasts (my dtr lives in SF)over this period of time while my husband was working on the cabinets and taking down the wall. Now that I've been on this site I see splashes that would have worked much better. Live and learn. A lesson in not what to do!

I mocked up several blues on white poster board but they did not look right so I am still searching. Dianalo in a post below suggested a blue without any grays. The knobs need to be adjusted too. I'll look at other blues over the holiday break. At this point I am going to keep the splash-we really can't afford another and right now I don't have the energy to take it down. It cheers me. Maybe if I find something else I can afford (save up for) and like I'll work on changing it over the summer. For now I'd like to see if I can pull it together in a simpler way. I think a black fridge would be too dark for the space. It is a northern exposure and even opened up tends to be dark, the real reason we went light rather than dark. We brought lots of dark granite samples home as they work with golden oak but the kitchen was too dark. I'm in there alot-cook and bake almost everyday. Should have posted before pictures it was a really tight space with the only place to work the kitchen table and a cutting board size space by the stove. The range is new and thanks to the GW discovered scratch/nick sales and was able to get it.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Nobody can help pull it together until some color-accurate photos are provided. The soffit color in the first pic is golden yellow, but I think in actuality, it is a white wall color, no?
    Take individual close-ups of the elements so everyone has an accurate reference point for each.
    When you upload a photo, look at it to see if the colors are accurate on your monitor. Photobucket lets you edit you photos after you upload so that you can adjust the hue, saturation, and everything else, until it better matches your reality.
    The tiles look like a combination of mushroom and mauve on this end. Don't see the blue ones.
    Casey

• chris11895
    12 years ago

LottieS, this may sound like a strange question, but when you look at the photos in this thread do they seem totally wrong in their color? Also, what is the name of the countertop? Having the name would allow us to search and see more accurate images.

As far as a suggestion, I would swap the paint. If you've been buying samples and can't find the right color you might be better off contacting local paint stores and seeing if they have a designer who will come to your home. Many people have benefitted from this because they can see everything in person. Around here it costs $75, and some stores will discount it when you buy the paint. Anyhow, it might save you some time and give you that second opinion you need. Oh and the fee is usually for the whole house so if you have other rooms you're thinking of changing you can get their input on those too. Hope that helps and I hope your daughter's health improves soon.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

I have to agree that the tile is too shiny, but if you like it, that's all that matters. It may appear shinier than it really is if you used a flash too. I did want to compliment your dh on his workmanship. The cabinets look brand new. Did he strip them or just sand and restain?

• roarah
    12 years ago

I like the color remodelfla posted. In the design around oak thread Pal, did a lavander kitchen and I really liked the color with oak. take a look at his I think third design because the color of his walls may play nicely with your backsplash. I do not know how to photoshop or I would do a mock up for you but I did crop out your walls in your pic and the backsplash looks much nicer with out the yellow walls. I did a few background colors to give you an idea how other wall colors might pull the kitchen in a new direction.
    darker grey walls
    {{!gwi}}

lighter grey walls
    {{!gwi}}

chocolate brown
    {{!gwi}}

blueish with violet tones
    {{!gwi}}

• moonspinner7
    12 years ago

Lottie, thanks for posting the link to the pics. And thanks to Marcolo for embedding them.

I really like your cork flooring with your cabinets.

• lawjedi
    12 years ago

roarah and remodelfa are on to something... the pictures with the gray sides cropped in looks much better.

even though it might make it dark, I think the colors work better together.... so perhaps that and make sure you have lots of great lighting.

• _sophiewheeler
    12 years ago

I agree that the cabinets and flooring are too similar in color and together create a giant ORANGE statement. You need to choose which one to keep because you can't keep both in that kitchen and ever "pull it together". Since you like the cork, gel stain the cabinets darker. It's a more current look, and it's the largest block of orange.

The iridescent backsplash is offensively baby pink and blue with the orange cabinets. And it does nothing for the granite either. It's completely out in left field like you put goth purple skulls in as a backsplash. Taking it down NOW will help the dissonance right now. It would be better to have nothing up there for months than to let your eye become accustomed to that color clash. The only place that orange and pink really work is if you are in India and there are a lot more colors going on.

The granite would have looked much better in a dark color, like Uba Tuba if you wanted to keep the golden oak---but only with a different floor. The current choice is also too pink and grey for orange oak. Toning the oak down to a dark brown with no orange undertones will allow it to work though, even though it clashes a bit with the floor. The right backsplash can make the floor, dark brown cabinets, and orange brown floor work together. Perhaps something like a custom mix glass tile. Susan Jablon has a configurator that will allow you to play with combining multiple colors, as does Crossville. Here's something from Crosville with blues and browns and greys that could work after you tone down the cabinets and paint the walls.

Get rid of the big white fridge. It's not doing you any favors by being so prominently white. If you think that makes your kitchen dark, then you have a lighting problem that needs to be addressed. More light is what works when you add dark colors, and dark colors add depth to a kitchen. You need to add in more lighting. Under cabinet lighting. Recessed lighting. And find some pretty blue glass shades for the pendants over the peninsula.

Pick the blue grey from the tile mosaic and use that on the walls.

• kellienoelle
    12 years ago

That darker gray that roarah posted looks really nice. I understand about working within a budget so I won't throw out pricey suggestions to you. I would start with paint, since it is a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix, put some n the walls and then see what you have. We have oak cabinets currently, I painted a nice true medium gray and was amazed at how it transformed the room, really seemed to brighten it up much more than the yellow paint it had previously (surprise to me since yellow had always seemed like a "brighter" and "happier" color) You mentioned that you had pendants, what do they look like? Softening up the lighting might help as well and may make photos that you are taking come out truer to color.

If you were planning on replacing your refigerator, I agree that a color other than white would help to blend it in a bit. Stainless would add the "shiny" element that you said you were looking for without being as "heavy" as a black fridge.

Another suggestion that hopefully wouldn't be too costly would be to replace a couple of those door fronts with glass, maybe on either side of the micro? Even if you did a pretty thick wavy glass that you can't completely see through, it would add an element of light and maybe tie in the backsplash a bit more.

Good luck, it is hard to be drawn to a bunch of different styles and a real gift to be able to tie them together into an "ecletic" space.

• bellsmom
    12 years ago

I find it useful when thinking of color to remember that brown is dark orange. Right now cabinets, walls, and countertop all look like shades of orange on my monitor. Even the backsplash appears to have touches of orange.

I am not good with Photoshop. You need beagles to step in here. She is great at color substituting. I couldn't get the medium neutral grey I wanted. But maybe this will help you visualize the impact of paint.

B

• LottieS
    Original Author
    12 years ago

http://www.ytc-tiles.com/products/kitchen/lustres.shtml

This is a link to the tiles I used-perlescent hints- is the one I used. The granite is Romano Blanco. I'm at work so I cannot see how the pictures came out-the pink floors me because I am not a pink fan-it must be the way the lavender tile is showing on the screen. I don't think there are color consultants in my area-but I can take samples of the tile and cabinets to a BM store in another town that may have one. There is some green in the cork as well as a reddish magenta (thin thin lines). The furniture in my living room is sage green and I have lots of green accents. I'm open to green too. When I go home I'll be able to see the pictures in the above posts-my work computer can't access them. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let my DH know his workmanship was complimented (he stripped, sanded, stained-it took him months to do after work.) It's kind of sad my feeling it didn't pull together was confirmed but it also validates my thought that it didn't really go together-so I'm gearing myself for painting this week as I'm hosting a New Years Party. Maybe I should serve stiff drinks!

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Monitor resolutions are completely different. That's why I just laugh when someone posts a probably beautiful color. All I get are pinkish tones, too, on a brand new laptop.

LottieS, your husband did a beautiful job.

Individually, I think you have beautiful components. Remember that you bought them because they spoke to you. I understand your soft palette, and wish my monitor would resolve it properly.

Don't worry about running in and changing everything everybody said. If you choose to repaint, please do a big sample and see what you think. What your DH thinks, since he sounds involved.

I think I have the same cork flooring. I have loved it since the moment I saw it. It's yellow tones stand out more than I anticipated, but I'm doing fall colors anyway. My sink is even the hue (not the shade) of the burgundy in the tiles. Hey! I have questions for you about installation. I'll start a new thread, though.

Don't be sad. You can make changes -- or not -- and still find it warm, welcoming and the heart of the home.

Christine

• roarah
    12 years ago

In bellsmom's mockup I think the elements are looking nice together. The wall color is the obstacle to tackle now and after that i hope you find the room works and you love your new space! If you are still not happy after trying different wall options than you can always revisit stain finishes.

• rosie
    12 years ago

I also really like some of your choices and also really wish I could see the soft cool tones better--which always draw me.

The cork must feel really nice. I don't see the harmony with the cabinets as a problem, but if you wanted to set them off a bit from each other you could always paint the kickplate a black, charcoal, blue-black, or whatever worked.

The backsplash tiles are definitely gorgeous. I want. :) In person, though, does that high gloss leap out from the rest of the kitchen the way it does in these pix (like the sparkling teeth with flashing asterisks in that old toothpaste commercial)? If so, you might look for a clear, washable finish you could apply over to enjoy the pearlescent while bringing the gloss down. If not, no problem to fix.

I do agree that the wall paint is going to be the main fix for pulling it all together. It just overwhelms the rest. Something else.

One last thing for creating your "new" kitchen. When you look at new ones posted, they virtually all have the doodads and clutter, fridge magnets, etc., gone. Add all their old stuff from the old kitchen back in, and these new ones wouldn't look nearly as handsome or elegant, or maybe even that new at all. In any case, while you are evaluating what you need to do, how about pulling all the extras out so it looks the way it would if you had just spent $40K in there, and evaluate it that way--without distraction?

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

First off, I am no colour or design expert. But I think the wall colour and fridge colour both could be changed to pull it all together better. Sounds like you are well on your way to finding a good wall colour, but the stark white fridge isn't doing any favours to your space. Maybe covering it temporarily with black contact paper or stick on chalkboard stuff? A relatively inexpensive fix and fairly small time investment to give you an idea of how it would be darker? Otherwise plaster it with photos of things/people that make you smile/wall stickers/whatever you can find to decrease that big expanse of white.
    Good luck!

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

Your husband did a great job on the cabinets. The cabinets and golden granite look beautiful together. I don't understand the opposition to orange, yellow or oak many people have. The black appliances look rich with it. If you replace the white refrigerator, I might do a stainless and black one to lighten its mass (if you can find one that doesn't smudge so easily). Cabinet depth if you can fit it.

But if it were me, I'd start over with the backsplash rather than compromise the overall look of the kitchen. The other elements are earthy and, I'm sorry but the shiny irridescent cool colored tile doesn't mix in well. I think it will always look wrong no matter what you do.

Greens look great with oak so maybe if that wall color appeals to you that might be a good color to try. One that complements the yellow in the adjoining areas. I think a simple warm white would also look great. My mother's flooring is very similar to her cabinet color also. She has a rug that breaks it up and it all looks very warm and pretty together.

I know it's probably a lot of messy work to redo the backsplash but it would be worth it in the end. You've come so far with your reno and have lots of nice features.

• LottieS
    Original Author
    12 years ago

http://s1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc490/fredjsue/

Hi Marcolo only posted two of the pictures-perhaps the others would give you a clearer view (and they are the uncluttered ones for the most part!) I was actually happy with how the tile looked all around the window. A kind soul on the first post made it easy to enter but I can't cut and paste it. Could somebody tell me how to imbed them? My husband was pleased about the compliment to his hard work thanks! I'll figure out with your suggestions how to improve it. Thanks for the feedback.

• roarah
    12 years ago

Here is the pic under the window... I clicked on the HTLMcode (that is the third line under the pic) til it says copied and than I pasted it in the message. It will not show as a pic til you preview message...I would do more but Photobucket keeps freezing on me today:(

• clubcracker
    12 years ago

I like some of the blue and gray paint tones posted here. Hopefully your DH will agree to a darker stain on the cabinets since you love the cork floors.

If the backsplash has tones of violet/lavender (your term) then it's not a mistake that we're seeing pink, I think. Purple has a lot of red in it...and light purple has, well, pink. Some more than others and some cooler than others.

I also wanted to suggest a window treatment to complement whatever wall color (and cabinet color) you decide to go with. The large white window is bright but could use some softening (without losing light in the room).

Good luck!

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

Lottie, so when you say you don't think it all came together, what is it that seems off to you? Maybe you should lead the way.

I didn't mean to offend with my opinion on the tile selection and was trying to be constructive, but you did say the kitchen didn't seem to be working and wanted to know why. How can we try to help if we can't say what we think (barring the WTF comment above.) It can be very hard to know what a room really looks and feels like through a photograph. What is it that you think might be off when looking at your kitchen? Something must be sticking out for you to question that it doesn't look right.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

The tiles are gorgeous, but they belong in a completely different kitchen than the one in your house. They don't work at all with the granite, the cabinets, the paint, or the floor.

And everyone is right that the floor color is too close to the cabinet color and that that one of them needs to change. Since you just put in the floor and your hubby is handy enough to change the cabinets out, do that. Go with something dark brown with zero orange undertones.

If the cabinets go dark, then the counter's won't be as clashing with the floors as they are now because the cabinets will be the separator. I do like the backsplash colors that hollysprings posted as that would pull together the floor color with the counter color and, hopefully, a blue or grey wall color.

• Sharon kilber
    12 years ago

I think with your shiny granite, the back splash is a little shiny. Maybe a stone tile would go better. Your husband should be able to do it. Your cabinets are real nice. Good job.

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

LottieS, here's a visual of what Roarah was explaining. When you're in Photobucket, just choose the line of code that says HTML code, and copy that to paste into your message.

I swiped this image from Buehl's thread with more good info: Posting Pictures by Buehl

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

Lottie,

I took some time to look at the product pictures for the granite and the tile. It's hard to say for certain because different slabs vary somewhat but I don't think that the color of the granite and the color of the tile together are a bad choice.

Texturally I know you've gotten a lot of comments about the shine level of the tile with the shine of the granite and I know that's an issue to bear in mind but I do think the colors can be ok together! They don't look bad with your cabinets in my opinion either. What's getting me in this space is the yellow paint and the floor.

If it were me...and it's not...I'd pick a nice wall color and repaint before I did anything. I do agree that the cabinets and the floors are too close together in tone and they are adding a lot of orange tones. Reflected light is a huge issue in any room. Look at the front of your white fridge in your pictures...it's even some color other than white just because of all the yellow-orange light being reflected by the walls, cabinets and floors. I think if you turn the dial down on all that reflected yellow-orange light you'll be headed in the right direction and then you'll be able to evaluate the flooring.

Is the floor click or glue down? Can it be removed and repurposed to another room? That might be something to consider if toning down the light doesn't help enough. I think if you repainted with a greyish tone your granite and tile would look just fine. The new paint will make a big difference in reflected light. Take a look at the floor after you paint again and see where to go from there.

I think your kitchen's coming out nicely. All issues can be remedied. I painted a whole master bathroom in a color I was sure I wanted and it was HIDEOUS and I had to repaint the whole room. It's just paint. Start with that.

Hope you have a helper.

Enjoy your holidays. There's time for everything to get done...either before or after. ;)

Ne

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Here's what it would look like if you darkened your cabinets, which would work better with your floor. I used the backsplash that Hollysprings suggested and use Benjamin Moore's Blue Lace as I had already had a pic of it that I used in another storyboard.

{{!gwi}}

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

BTW thanks to LWO for uploading this to her Photobucket account to be able to show you this. Mine seems to be on the fritz.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I like that first color Roarah put up. Something like that COULD pull it all together if you have a logical stopping point--you probably don't want your dining room so bold.

The backsplash is shiny but how often do you have a flash on it? Do paint. Big bold paint. As Doggone says, it's just paint. (Paint that will take MANY coats to paint over if you don't like it so do just one chunk first.)

If the similar color of floor and cabinets bothers you, put a rug down. I think it's kinda nice how they go together.

And...plan for your next fridge to be black.

I look at this kitchen and think "needs paint". No problem with the cabinets or counter or floor or tile. I assume you, being there, can see if they really go or not. I can't because I'm on a computer. But they look okay from here. And don't you dare rip out a backsplash that makes you smile. Even if it clashes. Which it doesn't on MY computer.

• fks3
    12 years ago

I really like the darker color cabinets OR changing the wall colors as others have suggested

good luck

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

I can't see using the blue and brown tile with the golden granite. I also think there would be too much pattern going on between three major elements (counter, floor, backsplash).

The other thing that strikes me is how dark the kitchen would be if the cabinets were stained a deep brown. It also might get a bit dull and lifeless. The color is warm and pretty as it is, imo. Besides, dh loves it. I would try breaking up the floor color a bit with a rug. I like the idea of window treatments. Some textiles would soften things up and add color. What were your plans for the window?

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Here's keeping the backsplash, but darkening the cabinets and changing the paint. I think it's not nearly as successful as changing out the backsplash, but it is better than keeping the cabinets the same orange as they are now.

{{!gwi}}

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Here's one with a Home Depot Merola tile in "River" that bridges the beiges and grays better with no blues. The orig
    inal color door is in the upper left, so you can see how close it is in color to the floor and the darker door is in the center.

{{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I think LottieS should look for a paint that can cover a white refrigerator and make it black. Then I would paint the soffit a brown color that is in the granite. Then send in pictures to see if the backsplash improved. If the beautiful backsplash still seems off, then the cabinets have to be stained much darker or the backsplash has to change but you would be amazed at how the refrigerator painted black and a neutral medium brown or a grayish brown color could make the backsplash work.

I love the granite and the floors.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I like the first paint color rhoarah posted. What about reprinting then seeing how it looks? Is a refrigerator swap possible?

• LottieS
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Very strange my last text is no longer here or maybe it didn't post? I'd written how much I appreciate all the time, thought, research and effort everyone has put in. It has been very helpful. I took the advice of a poster above and after school went to a BM store where I thought they might have a color consultant. They had two very helpful women who suggested after seeing my pictures on this site Wickham Gray for the kitchen and gray mirage for the dining area (it looks like a moss green) Both colors are soothing. The Wicham is similiar to several of the other colors people suggested. I put large sample squares of it up on the soffit over the window and it looks blue. I like it and if my youngest wasn't coming home from college tonight I'd run out and start painting. Instead I'm going to make a comfort food dinner. Homemade mac and cheese along with roasted brussel sprouts and salad. Ever since I found out you can roast the sprouts I'm a big fan of a formerly disliked vegetable. Regarding the fridge-it's actually just a normal size one door fridge and works just fine. Maybe it shines because I gave it a good cleaning after we put down the floor! Cannot justify the expense of replacing it for aesthetic reasons. I have a kitchen cat g-d vertical flag that one of my daughters brought back from Japan and could hang it on the fridge! That should add color. Wishing everyone a great holiday. Thanks again for your help.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

Ditto your call on roasted brussels sprouts. A method I like even better is to cut them in half, then fry them cut-face down (preferably in a cast-iron pan) until browned. You may optionally stir them up at this point to cook the outside a little bit, especially if they are large. Last, melt some shredded asiago cheese (or parmesan) over the whole thing. Yum.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

How to paint a white refrigerator black on ehow.com

Here is a link that might be useful: How to paint a white refrigerator black on ehow.com

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

Demonstration of painting white refrigerator black

Here is a link that might be useful: Demonstration of painting white refrigerator black

• Fori
    12 years ago

I want to see the cat flag!

The fridge isn't that bad. Just if it DOES die, consider black (or almond! Man you think oak gets a bad rap around here try talking about bisque!:) ).

Anyway, hope the paint does what it's supposed to do. You're really close!

• LottieS
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm considering putting on white crown molding when I get up the courage-I heard the corners are hard to cut and I'm just learning how to use these tools. It is fun though. I'm going to paint first-my DH is not happy about it. He is tired of the kitchen but I want to at least try the paint and see if it helps. Perhaps in the spring after I live with it for awhile I can decide on the molding. I thought it might help make the room look more finished and lighten it up. I would use BM simple white. Anjie I will try out your recipe. Thanks!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

OK for three years I have a stainless steel refrigerator and an almond stove and an almond dishwasher. I had for 9 years a stainless steel microwave, stainless steel toaster oven and a stainless steel toaster. So when my almond refrigerator broke, I bought a stainless steel refrigerator. I actually liked my almond kitchen that matched the counters, the blinds the floor and was bright and happy and even the oak looked great to me. But with the new refrigerator, I felt the golden oak clashed and since the dishwasher never washed dishes right and the range never cooked right when they broke down near the end of 2009, I replace them with stainless steel. I was going to buy the stainless steel insert for my dishwasher but it was not washing right and was so old that I thought I would wait until it totally broke down.

Hence, you are allowed to keep the white refrigerator until it breaks but painting it IF it is going to last many more years and not just a few more years, would pull your kitchen together also.

I think the crown molding and the new paint will look nice and I can't wait to see updated pictures.

• Samantha111
    12 years ago

Are you saying you think the stainless doesn't work very well with oak?

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus